Profile for doodlebug > Reviews

Content by doodlebug

doodlebug (Belfast, N. Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
SainSonic SS-101 Mini Rechargeable Electric Lady Shaver
SainSonic SS-101 Mini Rechargeable Electric Lady Shaver
Offered by Barsoom.eu

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value shaver, 4 Oct 2013
Im pregnant and finding shaving my legs in our small cubicle is getting a little tricky. After reading reviews here I decided to give this a go.

First off, it came well packaged. The plug is a shaver 2 pin, but a UK adapter was included.

I set up the charger and left it to charge overnight. It does says charge time 8 hours on it, but after leaving it for 9-10 hours, the indicator light still showed it was charging. In fact, 2 x 12 hour charges later, it still shows it! However, one charge lasts me 3 full leg shaves.

It came with a small cleaning brush, and a trimmer attachment (I havent used the trimmer)

I cant really imagine any electric shaver giving the close shave that a manual razor does, but for me this comes pretty close on my legs. It fits nicely in the hand and super easy to operate. It doesnt perform as well under my arms, and I prefer to just use a manual for that as it only takes seconds.

When used on longer hair it does pull the hair (ouch!) but if you shave weekly it shouldnt be an issue. If you wanted to do a drastic overhaul on bikini area for example, perhaps try the trimmer first.

Overall, Id definitely recommend this, even at twice the price. It only lost a star due to not being very good under my arms, so if going on holidays, Id need to take a manual as well.

Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48781 Food Steamer, White (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by JPOnline

4.0 out of 5 stars Great time saver, 5 Feb 2013
I got this just over a year ago when quite unwell and cooking took too much out of me, yet I needed healthy meals to speed my recovery.

In the last 13 months we have used it at least 4 days a week, often 2 times a day.

With one large compartment and two small with independent steaming functions, you can cook a great meal all in one steamer. (Our favourite is chicken, potatoes and veg)
The smaller ones have a dividing wall that can be removed to create a second larger compartment.

Food "plinth" - basically an extra shelf that fits in the larger section so you can cook more food in the space.

Rice tray - rice and pasta accessory that is raised like the plinth so you can cook other things under it.

Sauce trays - two small trays that can be used in the small compartments. They can be used for peas or rice too.

The instruction book gives a great guide on timings (though the smart timer has some presets as well) and some great recipes like Sesame Salmon Noodles and Steamed Greens with Coconut Milk and Sweet Chilli Sauce - cooks in 20 mins! And even a sponge pudding that could be happily steaming away (42 mins) while you have your main course.

The instruction leaflet can be found on the manufacturers website.

The only issue I had with this was that it was described as dishwasher safe. After a few washes, the containers started to crackle. At the minute its cosmetic but I wont be putting it in the dishwasher again. Although, to be fair, it took up the entire top drawer of the machine plus some of the bottom as well anyway.

A few people commented on it being hard to clean due to the holes. After much frustration I tried using the rice trays to cook the chiicken fillets in. It works well, but tin foil "bowls" work best.

Beautiful Fashion Colouring Book
Beautiful Fashion Colouring Book
by Katy Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality colouring book, 5 Feb 2013
My daughter is 10 and loves this book.

The pages are high quality, and the actual pictures have a nice amount of detail. Not too much to put off the less co-ordinated, but enough to make the outfits look interesting.

It has enough pages to make it good value, but not too many that it doesnt travel well.

I also find colouring this book very theraputic.

Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library)
Hair: Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl Library)
by Jim Jordan
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages - once hair is shoulder length, 5 Feb 2013
My daughter got this when she was 9 and loves looking through it and picking our her hairstyle.

A lot of the styles are a little babyish for her, but the haircare tips are great and my daughter felt very grown up by researching products herself.

I would say that parents can get great ideas for their daughter hair once its shoulder length. There is about 30 different hairstyles - none are too complicated. A 7 or 8 year old could do it on someone else. Also, its spiral bound, so lays flat easily so you can refer back when you are mid style, and the illustrations are pretty clear.

If buying as a gift, perhaps pair it with some clear hair bobbles so the recipient can get stuck in right away!

Math Smarts: Tips, Tricks, and Secrets for Making Math More Fun! [With Flash Cards] (American Girl Library)
by Lynette Long

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series of books, 5 Feb 2013
My daughter loves the American girl series and this maths book definitely gets my approval. V accessible to ages 7+ with lots of tricks to help learn new things as well as what to do when you are struggling.

My daughter is now 10 and still dips into it from time to time for reassurance.

Paper Fashions Fantasy (Klutz)
Paper Fashions Fantasy (Klutz)
by The Editors of Klutz
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative and fun for young and old, 5 Feb 2013
My daughter received this as a Christmas gift and absolutely loves it, as well as the rest of the range.

When I first looked at the range I thought £9 was a bit pricey, but its worth every penny. Minus the glitter glue, its great for travelling - airports, planes, trains (cars are a bit trickier!)

Plenty of papers and stencils for hours of creative play.

I love to see kids doing something different than playing video consoles. Plus I love to have a go too :)

Panama Jack Women's Elsa Brown Pull On Boots 5E02 6 UK
Panama Jack Women's Elsa Brown Pull On Boots 5E02 6 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Super comfy but trendy wedge boot., 5 Feb 2013
I bought this in Chestnut brown in Dec 2011 and they are by far the comfiest heels Ive ever owned. I have a slightly bigger than average calves and these fit well. The top has two poppers with elastic to give you a wee bit of extra room.

While I cant remember the exact date, after owning the boots a few weeks the elastic on one boot came undone. I emailed amazon and they arranged a replacement immediately. Ive worn them at least 4 times a week for the last year and they are still in great condition. Im pretty hard on my shoes but the sole has lasted well.

The grip isnt great - I wouldnt wear them out in icy conditions, but Im not nuts enough to wear heels on ice anyway!

Overall, I wholeheartedly recommend these boots.

Olfa RTY-2/DX deluxe 45mm safety rotary cutter
Olfa RTY-2/DX deluxe 45mm safety rotary cutter

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wee cutter, 5 Feb 2013
This is my first experience, so I cant really compare to other similar products. However, Ive been using this for a few months for fabric on a regular basis and it shows no signs of blunting. Ive even used it on wadding but it does tend to need a few extra wee snips with scissors afterwards.

Overall, I would recommend this item and would certainly buy again if this one ever went missing!

Helix 12"/30cm Metal Safety Rule T33010
Helix 12"/30cm Metal Safety Rule T33010

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job,, 5 Feb 2013
Its a bit hard to get excited about a ruler. This one is practical, sturdy, and from a trusted brand.

A recessed area on top, to put your fingers when using tools such as the rotary cutter, and grips at the bottom to hold it secure on pretty much any flat surface.

If purchasing again, I would look for a longer ruler as I do quilting, but this still works well for small pieces and for my paper and card craft.

Nintendo Wii Remote Plus†- White
Nintendo Wii Remote Plus†- White
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee gadget, 5 Feb 2013
When our original wii remote broke, I decided to go for this "upgraded" version. To be completely honest, I cant really tell the difference between the other original controller and this one.

I would say that unless you are really into gaming, or this is reduced to a similar price to the originals, I would just stick with the much cheaper original.

We use this controller with the Aircharge Inductive Charger by Madcatz and it works great.

It was purchased in December 2011 and after a year of reasonable use, it still works as well as it did on day one.

Page: 1 | 2