Profile for wahine_kini@yahoo.co.uk > Reviews

Content by wahine_kini@ya...

wahine_kini@yahoo.co.uk (London, England)

Offered by Bridge_Records

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel bad, OK?!?!, 4 April 2002
This review is from: Is This It? (Audio CD)
I went back and listened to the album again and actually found it mildly pleasant. Not my taste, but I could recognise the catchiness of the songs. It is a cute album, and the bassist especially is talented. It's just the guy's voice is like nails on a blackboard! And what is it with the slightly robotic sounding vocals anyway? Did the sound engineer find a new button on his mixing desk and get a bit carried away? Having said that, some of the songs grow on me, but not enough to be converted as a fan or a believer of the hype.

Offered by Bridge_Records

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm going to get lynched..., 2 April 2002
This review is from: Is This It? (Audio CD)
Okay, firstly I was bought this album by my opinionated cousin for Christmas who thinks that because he likes something, everyone else will automatically like it too.
That aside, I did really want to give this band a go. I mean, everyone thinks they're gods, right? Well, after several listens, I am now convinced that either I'm actually listening to Michael Bolton by mistake or I just don't like the Strokes. I forgot all the songs and lyrics 5 minutes after listening to it. It's musical wallpaper! OK, so 'Last Night' is a catchy little ditty, but Casablancas's voice is just too irritating, and the songs are just too 'safe' - they don't push the boundaries of pop music at all. Sorry lads, but it seems to me that you're just pretty faces. However, if the thought of anything heavier than Atomic Kitten scares you, give the Strokes a try - they're pleasant enough as innoffensive background music.

SILVER SIDE UP
SILVER SIDE UP
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 2 April 2002
This review is from: SILVER SIDE UP (Audio CD)
I often buy albums on the basis of 1 song and then kick myself afterwards, so I'm a little bit more wary about what my money goes on nowadays. I really shouldn't have worried in the case of Nickelback's 'Silver Side Up'. The phrase every time a coconut really does apply to this wonderful album. The heartfelt lyrics go beautifully with the powerful sound - this is rock with something to say. Favourite tracks include the beautiful 'How You Remind Me', the disturbing 'Never Again', 'Woke Up This Morning' and the powerful 'Too Bad'. My only complaint would be that the album is too short! More songs please!

Morning View
Morning View
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 29 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Morning View (Audio CD)
I bought the album on the basis of one song, namely the very beautiful 'Wish You Were Here', and I'm glad I did. The band achieve that rare thing in alt-rock: ballsiness, volume AND melody. The lead singer has the most amazing voice, and each song is as melodic and diverse as it is gutsy. (OK, so the last song might have been a mistake, but nobody's perfect). I couldn't stop listening to this, and I highly recommend it - a truly wonderful and near-perfect collection of songs.