Profile for P. Jones > Reviews

Content by P. Jones

P. Jones

Page: 1 | 2
60W Lavolta® Laptop Charger for Apple Macbook 13" inch [until Summer 2012 Models] EU/UK/US/AU Notebook, fits A1181, A1184, A1330, A1334, A1344 AC Adapter Magnetic Power Supply Plug Cord L-Shape - 16.5V 3.65A
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
It does the job. On our Macbook Air it can interfere with the trackpad, though (yes, honestly: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203171)

Colourworks 26cm Green Silicone Pastry / Basting Brush
Colourworks 26cm Green Silicone Pastry / Basting Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
Britstles don't fall out when using things like honey. Can go in the dishwasher too.

Thermos Thermocafe 2060 Steel Travel Mug - 400 ml
Thermos Thermocafe 2060 Steel Travel Mug - 400 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
It didn't last very long, but then it was only a fiver.

Dust Cleaner for Keyboards, Mobile Phones, Computers etc
Dust Cleaner for Keyboards, Mobile Phones, Computers etc
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
This stuff is fantastic at cleaning, and surprisingly good fun to use.

Panasonic TX-32A400B 32-inch HD Ready Slim LED TV with Freeview (New for 2014) (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor picture, which is kind of a flaw for a television, 30 Dec. 2014
We were very disappointed in the picture quality. We bought it understanding it was a relatively cheap model, and consequently weren't expecting smart features or even 1080p HD, which was fine. We were hoping for a good picture for DVDs and TV though, but found the picture very lacklustre. The contrast of the images was very poor, so colours looked washed out rather than vibrant. Skin tones were too yellow making people look jaundiced. Unfortunately there were very limited settings so it wasn't possible to adjust individual colour channels separately, for example, to fix these problems.

On the plus side it had suitable connections (HDMI, Scart), it was pretty easy and quick to set up, and the sound wasn't bad though. I'm currently looking for a model with a better picture, and I suggest you do too.

Visible Dust 1.6x Sensor Cleaning Kit (Vdust Solution and 4 Orange Swabs)
Visible Dust 1.6x Sensor Cleaning Kit (Vdust Solution and 4 Orange Swabs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeaky clean sensor, 24 Jun. 2014
I'm writing this mostly because I had a bit of trepidation at the idea of cleaning my camera sensor after reading about some of the horror stories people experienced about various products, and I wanted to share my painless experience. I figured I had nothing to lose since you could grow potatoes in the dirt on my sensor so before a professional clean I thought I'd give it a go on the basis that I couldn't damage the sensor with the proper tools. Alas, one swab both sides was all that was needed and my sensor is immaculate.

Tips:
Do try a rocket blower first. I doubt it'll ever take all the dirt off a sensor, but if it takes just some of the loose particles off its less gunk for the swab to collect.
The four swabs are individually wrapped. Unwrap them last and don't let them touch anything apart from the solution and the camera sensor. Open the solution bottle first, it's tightly closed!
The package contains four swabs. Even with a sensor as filthy as mine I only needed one swab (both sides) to get it clean, so I think this package is enough for at least another clean or two.
Put slightly less solution on the side of the swab you'll use second. That way you clean, then the slightly dryer side can absort some of the solution.
I found the solution left a thin film on the sensor but it has dried streak-free.
Don't bother with a loupe as some sites suggest. If you're sensor's dirty you don't need to confirm it with a loupe. Just pop the lens back on and take another test photo at f/22+
If the worst comes to the worst you won't damage the sensor (as long as you don't do anything daft) so if it doesn't work out you can arrange a professional clean, so it's worth a try.

Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (10.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D3000 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (10.2MP) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but competent, 5 Aug. 2011
This is Nikon's entry-level DSLR aimed at people like me who are upgrading from a hybrid/bridge or advanced compact camera. If this isn't you, you want the Nikon D7000 18-105 VR Kit.

The image quality is superb, largely because the sensor is larger than those in compact or hybrid cameras. Ignore resolution: this camera produces sharper pictures than my wife's compact which has higher resolution (12MP, rather than 10MP). She can just print her less detailed prints bigger. The 10MP resolution is enough to print without any loss of quality as large as 12"x8" (about A4).

The lens is superb and produces sharp pictures. The range of focal lengths will also cover most eventualities, although you might want to plump for the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens or Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED if you're photographing wildlife or sports (the 70-300mm is a bit quicker to focus, but the 55-300mm is what I use and is plenty quick enough).

The viewfinder is as good as any DX format camera (i.e. any below about £1,700) and the AF points and settings display are clear and sharp. The LCD screen is also clear and bright for viewing controls and displaying pictures (although not as sharp as some more modern cameras). It doesn't offer live view (i.e. you can't compose your shot through the LCD) which doesn't bother me one jot, but might be worth considering.

The camera is comfortable to hold and most controls are easy to access, and it fits well in my hand. I set the Fn button to control ISO so I can change it quickly, along with aperture and shutter speed when using manual mode. The camera is light enough that I can easily shoot one-handed, but feels weighty and well-made compared to even a Canon 600D (a camera more than twice the price). I've had this camera on windswept beaches and taken it rock climbing and I never worry.

So, what's the catch? Well, it's very slow to write pictures to a memory card. It also doesn't have a large buffer, which means that you can sometimes be waiting a few seconds before you can take another picture. Not often a problem for me but can occassionally be disasterous when I'm trying to photograph something fast-moving. This doesn't worry me but if your interest is wildlife photography, look elsewhere.

Its acceptable ISO range is also limited to about 800 (1,600 and 3,200, which is cryptically called 'Hi 1', are very noisy). Having said that, this still performs better in low light than any compact or bridge. It also doesn't take video which many new DSLRs do, but this is a feature I used exactly once on my bridge camera.

So, should you buy this? Yes, if you're after a low-cost camera and don't want to pay for rubbish features like video and a live-view which you don't use (like me). Alernatives are a used D40 (about £200 from ebay). If, like me, you like the underdog, the overlooked and the superseded, you'll love it. If you want more toys on your camera, this definitely isn't for you. Go get the upgraded, and more expensive, Nikon D3100 18-55vr Kit instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2011 11:59 PM BST

Fawlty Towers - Series 1 & 2 [1975] [DVD]
Fawlty Towers - Series 1 & 2 [1975] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Cleese
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing ‘Fawlty’ with this… (Sorry), 21 July 2003
I’m assuming that if you’re reading this you probably haven’t seen an episode of Fawlty Towers yet (and I do urge you to) simply because if you had you’d have bought this box set already, such is the brilliance of this comedy. Expertly written by John Cleese and Connie Booth, perfectly acted and lovingly edited and polished, this is probably the best situation comedy of all time. How many other comedies can you name that you could watch over and over again, and laugh each time? Not many. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve cracked up at Basil’s sarcastic remarks (for example when he asks “Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay Hotel Window, Sydney Opera House perhaps?”)

The quality of the picture and sound aren’t bad, especially when you consider Fawlty Towers was recorded at a time when you needed a small truck to transport a mere ‘pocket’ calculator.
However, the extras are a bit lacking. Although they are adequate, and include a commentary by the directors, interviews with the cast and a few ‘bloopers,’ so much more could have been done, and this is perhaps the most disappointing aspect of this set. I find it quite sad that almost no effort has gone into making the extras as highly polished as the episodes themselves. The extras simply do not do a series of this calibre justice. While this does cast a grey mark over this DVD set, don’t let it put you off, as the episodes themselves are more than worth the £30 asking price.
Essentially then, Fawlty Towers is superb, and I would really urge you to watch it, despite the disappointing extras. Why haven’t you bought this yet?

Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard
Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and innovative, 6 July 2003
Love or hate Microsoft, you have to admit they produce some very good kit, and the natural multimedia keyboard is certainly no exception. At first glance, it may look pretty weird with the split design, but fear not, this simple change from standard keyboards makes it a whole lot more comfortable to type with, even for long periods. Let me illustrate. If you hold your hands flat on a keyboard in front of you, there is a slight outward bend at your wrists for you to be able to tap away. However, if you straighten your wrists, you will notice that you can no longer type, but it is a lot more comfortable. The natural keyboard, because of the angle of the keys, eliminates this bend and allows you to type with straight wrists, and words cannot express how much difference this makes when typing for hours at a time.
Aside from this simple comfort difference (which is really the main reason for buying the keyboard anyway) the media controls are extremely useful. You can change track, volume etc without even looking up, let alone having to faff with a mouse and the on-screen controls. As far as I’m aware the media keys work with Media player (obviously) and WinAmp, but I haven’t tested it with sonique or other players. Sorry. The email and web browser buttons are excellent, as they are probably the most used applications by the vast majority of users, and mean you can bypass the start menu entirely. Sleep is also useful, as you can quickly slap it if you need to dash out in a hurry. The other buttons I have to admit I rarely use, but this is a personal preference and not a fault. And of course all the buttons are programmable, so you can set them to start whichever application you wish using the InteliType software. However, the best bit is all this added functionality is crammed into a reasonably small keyboard (it’s only as big as the internet keyboard with the attached rest), meaning it will fit on any desk without looking oversized, while not sacrificing functionality in the slightest.
My only quibbles with this keyboard are: 1) the lack of USB ports at the top, which I cannot explain the lack of as they were extremely useful, and 2) It’ll take a while to get used to because of the split design. Be prepared to give 2 or 3 days before you can type as fast as before.
In conclusion, very comfortable to use, media buttons are very useful though the others perhaps less so, takes a couple of days to get used to, but once you do you won’t use a standard keyboard again. Hope this helps!

Logitech MX 700 Cordless Optical Mouse
Logitech MX 700 Cordless Optical Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb bit of kit from Logitech., 9 Jun. 2003
A few weeks ago now my old mouse decided it would stop working, so I thought I’d better invest in a new one. After having a look around, I decided that if I’m paying £30 for a new optical mouse anyway, I thought I’d splash out that little bit more and opted for a wireless one. I decided on the Logitech mouse because I’ve bought hardware from Logitech before and have always been impressed.
The Logitech MX700, as with everything in live has pros and cons. Here are a few of them:
Pros:
Wireless mice are a lot more convenient than mice with a ‘tail.’ Trust me.
This mouse is very comfortable to use for right-handers (see below).
The MX700 has a good battery life and recharges quickly.
The optical sensor is very precise. I have had no problems with lag, inaccuracy, or reductions in system performance, even while playing first-person shooters.
The MX700 has internet back and forward buttons, which are conveniently placed, and work well when browsing the internet.
Once the software is set up, the wheel and ‘cruise control’ buttons work well for moving within documents.
The mouse feels well-built and robust.
Cons:
This mouse is for right-handers only. Unfortunately left-handers will need to look elsewhere.
Despite the impressive battery life, you may find yourself running out of power if you forget to recharge. While this is not an actual fault, it is something you simply wouldn’t have to deal with if using a corded mouse.
When not working in a windows environment, especially when playing games, the wheel doesn’t always work as it should. You are either left with no middle button, and have to use the cruise control buttons to scroll, or you are left with no middle button or scroll function at all. If you are a gamer you should give this consideration, as trying to switch weapons in half-life is a task and a half.
Not really a pro or a con as such; the task switcher button will never get used. It’s in an awkward position to use, but is not ever in the way when using other buttons. You’ll probably just forget it’s there. Also bear in mind that it will take a day or two to get used to, as it is a little bit heavier than most mice (due to the weight of the batteries).
In conclusion, although admittedly expensive for a mouse, Logitech have done a superb job, and I would recommend it to anybody, except:
If you are left-handed (have a look at the Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical).
If you don’t want to spend £45 on a mouse (understandable, you can get a decent optical mouse for £20).
If you are only likely to use it for FPS gaming.

Page: 1 | 2