Profile for Mr. D. Stokes > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Stokes

Mr. D. Stokes "lancaster" (Midlands,UK)

Page: 1 | 2

Excellent.

Alan Stoob: Nazi Hunter: A Novel by Saul Wordsworth
Alan Stoob: Nazi Hunter: A Novel by Saul Wordsworth
by Saul Wordsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book and get snot down your favourite t-shirt., 1 Dec. 2014
I don't often laugh out loud in public places, but did several snot laughs while reading this.
Properly funny, wonderful characters and an excellent story.
If this isn't made into a film I'll eat my Pickelhaube.
Please buy this book because YOU deserve to have a laugh.

The Perfect Fool
The Perfect Fool
by Stewart Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read., 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Perfect Fool (Paperback)
Didn't quite know what to expect from Mr.Lee, but was very pleasantly surprised. Beautiful use of language, some very interesting characters and a satisfying conclusion.
If you like this book then you'll definitely like 'Mister Mann' by Gerrard G Gerrard and 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues' by Tom Robbins.

The Cheeky Monkey: Writing Narrative Comedy
The Cheeky Monkey: Writing Narrative Comedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff., 10 Jun. 2014
I have a LOT of books on the subject of writing comedy and I can categorically say that this is the best I've read. Clear, concise and backed up with some fine examples.
Buy it because you will not be disappointed.

The Gig Delusion
The Gig Delusion
by Andy Kind

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't normally laugh easily., 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Gig Delusion (Paperback)
But this book made me do some proper belly laughs and one particularly virulent snort laugh that covered the upper part of my t-shirt with snot.
But it was worth the mess.
Very funny and warmly written.
It's very easy to care for the people in this book, so do yourself a favour and read it.

Photo Jigsaw Puzzle of Gerard Depardieu in a submarine
Photo Jigsaw Puzzle of Gerard Depardieu in a submarine
Offered by Media Storehouse

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as waterproof as one might imagine., 19 Dec. 2013
The very least I expect from a jigsaw depicting a submarine is waterprooficity.
I had an inkling the Depardieu segments might go a bit floppy after prolonged exposure to a nice warm bath (much like a real Frenchman) therein containing a dosage of Matey Bubbles, but submarines are made to withstand hours upon hours of underwater pressure.

Let me tell you this then, THE WHOLE jigsaw disintegrated within three hours of submersing it into my lovely 'original feature' torquoise bath. During my struggles with the tricky sea section (not a birthing technique in this instance) I managed to lodge my big toe in the hot tap and it became stuck fast. The trouble being that when you mix cardboard with a Matey Bubble bath you eventually get a quite aggresive form of papier-mâché.

It took three firemen four hours to free my naked and be-papier-mâchéd body out of the bath, during which time I had to suffer fifteen 'Here's one I made earlier' Blue Peter jokes. Upon removing the jigsaw cast I also lost 95% of my body hair which I'd grown quite attached to over the 53 years we've been together.

Since the incident I've purchased a 200 piece jigsaw of Vanessa Paradis tickling a manta ray to try and get myself back on the wagon. I hope to God it works.

Mister Mann
Mister Mann
by Gerrard G Gerrard

5.0 out of 5 stars There isn't a reason on Earth not to read this., 2 May 2013
This review is from: Mister Mann (Paperback)
Are you an adult?
Buy this book.
Do you sometimes have thoughts that don't sit comfortably in the Ikea furnitured world you inhabit?
Buy this book.
I'm not going to lend you my copy.
Buy this book.
Mister Mann can lead you by the hand, you may not like all the places he'll show you, but what's life without discomfort?
Buy this book.
I've read a lot of books, but this isn't just a book, it's an eye opener and that's why you should

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Just NO., 1 Mar. 2013
No, there's no place for a product like this. Flippant and offensive. Please think twice before sloganising something as terrible as this.

The Sixth Form Poet: Deep Thoughts and Wise Words
The Sixth Form Poet: Deep Thoughts and Wise Words
by Sixth Form Poet

5.0 out of 5 stars Finely crafted and funny., 1 Nov. 2012
Excellent book, take a look at everything around you, spin it on it's head and then write jokes and observations about it OR just buy this book and let the author do it for you. (I chose the second option)
Buy it for anyone you know who has a sense of humour and a love of words.

I Need A Cock Inside Me
I Need A Cock Inside Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a single recipe., 20 April 2012
I bought this book as I had an important meal to cook for my boss and his wife. Unfortunately it doesn't contain a single chicken based recipe. Very disappointed.

@scottywrotem