Profile for Maz > Reviews

Content by Maz

Maz

Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Screen for HTC DESIRE C (NOT DESIRE S etc) INCLUDING TOOLS TO DISASSEMBLE THE PHONE ** REPLACE YOUR FAULTY/DAMAGED/BROKEN TOP TOUCH SCREEN**
Offered by JZK Express Network

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, not too hard to replace and works perfectly once installed., 13 Feb 2014
I bought this item when I dropped my phone and cracked the front screen (the display was fine but the front glass was cracked and touch input became unreliable. To get it repaired professionally would have cost over £50 and more importantly left me without my phone for several days. I looked at some video guides on how to replace the digitiser screen and decided to give it a go.

I have just spent 45 minutes following the video instructions and it was relatively simple and worked perfectly. I have no special expertise or equipment - everything I needed came with the pack (apart from a hair drier to melt the glue). It required a little bit of patience and a little bit of manual dexterity but was by no means difficult. The hardest part was removing the old, cracked digitiser screen by melting the glue. To do this part, you will need to get the front until quite hot. I found that I had to heat each section for at least a minute using the hottest setting on my hair drier but keep calm and patient and it will come out. The replacement part then just slotted into place and the residual glue was enough to hold the new digitiser firmly in place.

The next tricky part - requiring a steady hand and maybe a pair of tweezers - was slotting the ribbon connector into its socket. Once that was done, it was just a case of slotting the rest of the components back into place and replacing the four screws.

One other small point - the new digitiser comes with a sticker attached to the rear surface (and a scratch protection film on the front) warning that broken or non-functional parts can't be returned. This seems fine as it would be easy to damage the part if you were careless and there's no reason why the supplier should pay for any such accidents. However, the sticker itself was quite tricky to remove and left some residue behind. I recommend removing this before you start and cleaning the rear surface with some screen cleaner. This will avoid a problem further down the line if you put the whole phone back together and then find residue on the underside of the screen. It could be quite challenging to take the whole unit apart again without damaging the new screen in order to clean it later so best to avoid that problem before you start.

If you need to repair the front digitiser glass of your HTC Desire C and have reasonable dexterity and patience then I can thoroughly recommend this item. For less than £15 this is a much cheaper way to repair your phone than taking it to the repair shop. (Some of the other reviews for this item said that the bottom three buttons on the digitiser screen didn't work for them - but I confirm that my phone is back to full functionality with all buttons working).

The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day
by David Frenkiel

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully illustrated, interesting vegetarian cookbook, 15 Sep 2013
I purchased this book purely on looking through it on Amazon and liking the look of the recipes. When it arrived, I thought it looked a little Jamie Oliver in style. Tonight I tried my first recipe from it, Portobello & Peach Burgers (page 118) and Spicy Skinny Root Sticks (page 178). What can I say! Wow. Utterly delicious. A bit of flapping around, as a lot of good recipes are, but so worth it. I never thought a mushroom in a bun would taste so devine. I wasn't so sure my girls (aged 8 and 4) would like them, the eldest doesn't like mushrooms. Empty plates tonight. Hurrah! I can't wait to try another recipe. I would say on a slightly negative note, most of the recipes contain quite expensive ingredients, if you replace with slightly cheaper I am not sure you will get the same emphasis. But, hey, that is so far my only negative. I am a keen cook and baker, I live in my kitchen, I have lots of recipe books, but I have never had a vegetarian book like this. It is superb. Highly recommend it if you are vegetarian and sick of eating tortelini!.

Beauty-Boxes Valene Rose Cosmetics and Make-up Beauty Case
Beauty-Boxes Valene Rose Cosmetics and Make-up Beauty Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact make-up case, 8 Jan 2013
I have wanted what I call a compact make up case for ages, one that looks professional but is robust and small enough to take with me when I go away from home. This one is absolutely fantastic. I don't own a lot of make up, but it is just the right size for lipsticks, brushes, compact mirror, shadows/blush etc. The trays aren't particularly huge, but I am able to fit 10 lipsticks in one side. The container bit at the bottom is more than big enough to fit brushes, compact mirror, collections of shadows etc. If you have quite a lot of make-up, you will probably want the next size up, or even bigger. My one sits on my dressing table. It is perfect for a smallish amount of make-up and robust and solid enough to just lock up and take with you. Oh, and most importantly the colour is fantastic - bright cerise pink and stainless steel. Perfect.

Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch with Heart Rate Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Running Watch - Boost your training!, 16 May 2012
I am reasonably new to running (about 8 months) and probably not the main target customer for such a high-end product. However, I compared the Frontrunner 610 against various other models from Garmin and other manufacturers and this watch has the right combination of features for me. I have now used it for about a month and as anticipated am making use of most of the features - including those that are premium on this model.

The touch screen and accompanying menu system are very easy to use, including in rainy and dark conditions. After an initial tour of the menus I am able to find all of the features in a few seconds. The watch gains satellite signals very quickly - certainly in less than 30 seconds in my experience - and once you have the watch configured to your liking you can basically press the start button and head off for your run. This includes customised workouts which are easily configured either on the watch itself or using the free Garmin Connect software. The heart rate strap just works and delivers the information that you need.

You can configure each of the training screens to show up to 4 data items relating to your session - things like heart rate, pace, distance covered, distance remaining in current workout and so on. As you can put any 4 fields on each screen, you can almost certainly get a setup that meets your individual preferences. And if you want access to more than 4 fields, you can spread them across more than one screen and configure to either switch between them automatically during your session or to change with a swipe of your finger across the screen.

The wireless ANT stick can be left connected to your computer and your workouts will just automatically synchronise when you come in range. It really couldn't be any simpler.

Best of all is that when you're not running you can wear this as a normal wrist watch - and it looks good. Unless you know what it is, you really wouldn't know this is anything other than a nicely designed wrist watch.

I really don't have much to say on the negative front. Some people may find the screen slightly less responsive than they would like, especially if they are used to modern smart phone screens, for instance - but there is a good reason behind this. The screen has to be responsive enough to work when you want it to but has to resist responding to swipes from clothing in normal running conditions which may, of course, include rainy or windy conditions. For me, the screen is a good compromise but you may sometimes have to swipe or tap more than once to get the response you're looking for. Apart from that, I can't think of any negatives.

If you want a running watch that you can use to plan and track your workouts and that will help you to improve your running this is an excellent candidate and well worth the financial investment.

Best Ever Three & Four Ingredient Cookbook
Best Ever Three & Four Ingredient Cookbook
by Jenny White

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick cooking!, 29 Oct 2011
Best Ever Three & Four Ingredient CookbookThis book was recommended to me by a friend who didn't have time to spend cooking. Wow. What a fantastic book. I am the mother of two girls aged 3 and 6. By the time I get home from the school run and have 2 hungry children shouting at me, the last thing I want is to spend hours in the kitchen. This book is fantastic. I have used at least 1 or 2 recipes a week since buying it. They are quick, easy and delicious. A few recipes I have tweaked after cooking them once, but apart from that, it has been great.

A must have for those busy parents out there that haven't got the time to spend slaving away in the kitchen....unless they are married to Jamie or Gordon!