Profile for M. Wright > Reviews

Content by M. Wright

M. Wright "Shelliz" (London, England)

Homefront Pure Luxury Soft Washable Electric Heated Chocolate Throw (160 x 130 cms)

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I brought another one!, 9 Feb 2014
We love snuggling up on this throw when it's cold outside, often we are so warm we turn all the other heating off, which these days saves us money.

We had our throw about four years and it is still going strong, so I decided to buy one for my Mum to keep her warm.

A Psychiatrist, Screams (Abbot Peter Mysteries) (The Abbot Peter Mysteries)
A Psychiatrist, Screams (Abbot Peter Mysteries) (The Abbot Peter Mysteries)
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder and Secrets at Henry House, 4 Jan 2014
This is the second offering in the soon to be famous Abbot Peter Mysteries.

Simon Parke the author is learning his trade well and this book is even slicker than the first in the series `A Vicar Crucified'.

Abbot Peter has been called on again, by his niece DI Tamsin Shah, this time, to investigate the death of his friend Barnabus Hope, found viciously murdered and left inside a cupboard in Henry house, a foreboding Elizabethan mansion.

But Henry House has secrets of its own and to solve the murder Peter must tease these secrets free.

Again there is a scary moment when Abbot Peter's own life is put in danger and for a while I had to hold my breath while I waited to see how he could possibly survive.

Interwoven into the murder story is another story, that of Hafiz, a famous Persian poet who lived in Shiraz in the 1300's. This too is a heart stopping tale of bravery against dark religious forces. How will Hafiz save his children from the crazed lovers of orthodoxy, who want to burn and destroy all he has ever worked for?

I really love the way Parke takes two stories, one past and one present and blends them into each other, the past coming to life and speaking, informing the now.

This book brought me to the edge of my seat on more than one occasion and allowed me to cry both tears of relief and joy. There are also many great lines, many of them from the endearing Abbot Peter which made me laugh at the madness of human behaviour (I spot others; I also spot myself which is slightly disturbing).

Well worth a read. I'm already looking forward to Abbot Peter's next adventure!

One-Minute Mindfulness: How to Live in the Moment
One-Minute Mindfulness: How to Live in the Moment
Price: 6.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover, 21 Aug 2013
Simon Parke does it again!

Following 'One Minute Mystic', 'One Minute Mindfulness' is another book full of simple meditations, that take about one minute to read.

They are not complicated, but they are full of deep wisdom.

I like to read one in the morning and keep it with me for the day.

A Vicar, Crucified (An Abbot Peter Mystery)
A Vicar, Crucified (An Abbot Peter Mystery)
Price: 5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Abbot Peter, A new, wise and unlikely detective, 25 May 2013
This book is Simon Parke's first venture into the Murder Mystery genre, but those who have followed Simon from when he first started writing, will welcome the return of the likeable character of Abbot Peter, who was first encountered in Simon's Desert Trilogy stories recently brought together in the book 'Another Bloody Retreat'.

Abbot Peter has recently retired to the seaside town of Stormhaven, and is somewhat surprised and more than a little bit thrilled to be invited to help solve the unusual murder of the local priest.

Abbot Peter by his own admission knows people, usually better than they know themselves, he discerns and uses an ancient personality system to understand the forces of nature that are at work beneath the surface of human beings.

This book brings together two separate stories, one in the past and one in the present carefully woven together in a credible way.

What I really like about this book is Simon's ability to bring to life real people, people who are both dark and light, ordinary people who when pushed enough end up crossing what society might call an acceptable line.

I don't want to give away any of the story, because it is a very good read, but I really enjoyed the wise words and dry humour of Abbot Peter and the relationship that grows between him and his new working partner DI Shar.

There is plenty of intrigue, twists and turns to keep the reader guessing until the last pages. I also liked that at the end of the book Simon chooses to take the reader back to each character to see how the land lies.

There were also times in the book when I felt compelled to stop for a moment to sit with a particularly powerful scene. Good writing has the ability to do that to me and this is wonderful writing from Simon Parke.

I'm looking forward to the next Abbot Peter Mystery.

Pippa's Progress
Pippa's Progress
Price: 6.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the Brave, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Pippa's Progress (Paperback)
At the beginning of this book there is a quote from H A Williams which says

'To become fully yourself is a terrible risk.
It would commit you to God knows what and lead you to God knows where.'

If we were all more aware of ourselves it would be at this point only the brave would continue to read on.
This book allows people to read it at different levels. On a surface level it's a good story with some wonderful illustrations, but read from a deeper place, it offers an invite to journey to find out about ourselves warts and all.

As I said before 'Only the Brave'

But Pippa is brave and she sets out on this journey, and I was with her every step of the way.
I shared her fear, her frustrations, her anger, her longing and ultimately her joy. I'll even admit to shedding a few tears.

'Pippa's Progress' like 'Pilgrim's Progress' is an allegory and therefore every character and place is a metaphor for a state of being or a way to understand a state of being.

Read at this level it is deeply insightful. Simon Parke is able to capture the width, depth and breadth of human madness and human beauty.

The book is about Pippa's Journey, but it also invites every reader to travel alongside her to discover not only a truthful relationship with themselves but also the holding of something bigger and more mysterious altogether.

Solitude
Solitude
Price: 11.63

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift to oneself, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Solitude (Paperback)
This book begins with the Author wondering 'I write of solitude amid the sounds of breaking glass, roaring flames and angry shouts. Am I wasting my time?'
He is talking of the recent London riots, he goes on to say 'These days will pass but others will come. Personally and nationally, we will again stand frightened and amazed at what we and other people do'
He asks us to consider that our actions come out of our abilty to sit quietly with ourselves and suggests that if we are unable to do this our actions are likely to be reactive and often harmful to ourselves and others.

This book invites one to step into solitude and goes on to guide in ways of doing this.

I found this book simple to understand, yet deeply powerful. It is in the form of 53 short chapters that encourage reflection on themes that would be helpful to anyone who is on a honest journey to get to know themselves better.

It explains what solitude is, why it is helpful and how it can bring healing. It explains how it is possible even to bring moments of solitude into our busy days.
I am now on my fourth reading and am still finding new and rewarding insights.

I enjoyed the conversational form of the text and liked that quotes from different people, centuries and cultures were used, alongside the authors own deep insights. For me things that have been known by others in the past, coming to together in the moment 'now' and still ringing true, always has a powerful effect.

I would reccomend this book as a gift to oneself, Like me, I hope you will find it will keep on giving.

I'll end this review with one last quote from the book 'In solitude we lead our desires back to love, our mind back to stillness and our attention back to the present. In so doing, we find ourselves in balance and harmony with the universe once again'.

Conversations with Jesus of Nazareth
Conversations with Jesus of Nazareth
by Jesus of Nazareth
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Reconnecting, 1 Oct 2011
I found this book really helpful in reconnecting me to the truths within Jesus's actual words, It takes him out of the 'church' setting where I often find that his words are misused and into the type of setting he would have naturally been found in, having a one to one conversation with another human being. I felt like I was hearing his words afresh and could relate with them in my own way, not in a way that I am being told to by another.
The audio version is excellent too.

Conversations with Leo Tolstoy
Conversations with Leo Tolstoy
by Leo Tolstoy
Price: 8.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting at the feet of Tolstoy, 28 Mar 2010
Simon Parke has done an amazing job of bringing the real Leo Tolstoy to life, I came to this book with little knowledge of the man, yet left feeling as if I had met him face to face.

The way Simon Parke poses the questions and his clarification of some of Tolstoy's answers help the reader to come to a real understanding of Tolstoy's opinions.

Because all the words used by Tolstoy are his own, I felt like I was sitting at the feet of this great man. It was difficult not to see the sense in his arguments and I found myself nodding my head in agreement.

Tolstoy's power and authority came over so strongly, that I was mesmerized and my own thoughts were stopped in their tracks. No wonder the Church and Government of his time labelled him as dangerous!

Tolstoy comes across as a passionate leader, denouncing all that is wrong with the world and a man not to be messed with.

I would recommend this book to anyone who really wishes to get to know the real Leo Tolstoy.