Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London, England)

Games Master (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Games Master (Kindle Tablet Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Games Master Magazine, 6 Nov 2013
This app works well for an easy way to purchase and view a digital copy of Games Master magazine.

You can buy individual issues or subscribe to yearly or monthly subscription.

Great magazine, nice app. Would have given it 5 stars but it can be a little slow when turning the page or zooming in. Other than that I'm very pleased.

The God of Small Things
The God of Small Things
by Arundhati Roy
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work at times but all the better for it..., 22 May 2008
I'd avoided reading this book for a long time as the 'blurb' delicately entices but doesn't really inspire you to read it.
Having now finished the book, I can appreciate why the book is so hard to summarize. It is a beautifully written piece of literature with some of the best repeated phrases I've ever read, (anyone who's read a Chuck Palahniuk book will know what I mean). The story itself seems a little pointless, (for lack of a better word), but thats not to say meaningless and certainly not a criticism... I basically saw the story as several snap shots, (at different points in time), of a few people who's lives are intertwined. See, I'm even struggling to review the book.
My best advice is to give it a shot. As stated above, it gets a bit hard to follow at points but we're talking paragraphs not pages and only difficult to follow as in the author has an amazing imagination and approach for describing... things... which at points led me astray, (says more about me than the author though).
I'm gonna shut up now and end on a repeat... give it a shot.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
Offered by A5Technology
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, Really Good Fun!, 12 April 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've just completed this game and right now I'm left with a sense of... WOW! Okay, the game isn't the most original & it isn't going to win any gaming Oscars for story, (Goscars?), but non the less I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an adventure game/story which pays homage to games such as Gears of War, Tomb Raider & the Prince Of Persia trilogy, (all games I would recommend although I still can't beat the final boss on Gears - says more about me than the game), and films such as The Mummy & of course, Indiana Jones. I found the voice acting/motion capture in this game to be superb, the graphics jaw-dropping and the story, admittedly not the most original but very fun, pushing me to find out 'what happens next'.
The only so-so thing about this game is that I felt it was a bit too short but I think that may be more down to the fact that I didn't really want to stop playing.
If you own a PS3 I think that you really need to get this game because at this moment in time, I think that this, Ratchet & Clank & MotorStorm are the only must have exclusive games for the console - plus it;s really, really good fun.

Black Rain (Japan's Modern Writers)
Black Rain (Japan's Modern Writers)
by Masuji Ibuse

5.0 out of 5 stars Words fail me., 2 Feb 2008
I'm struggling to find a way to express the importance of this book without trivializing it. I can't.
Instead, I'll plead with you to read this book, (I would seriously doubt that you have come across this by pure chance). It's not an easy read as I think there seems to be a distinct difference in the way this book would have been written had this event, (for want of a better word), happened in the England/America/The West as apposed to Japan but I also think that this adds to the account, (the almost nonchalant narrative is both worrying and awe inspiring at the same time). Hiroshima by John Hersey is a very important book... more important than this one... But this is very much the view of the people that were there at the time and the events that followed, (even more a literary masterpiece considering that the author, though originally from Hiroshima, was not there at the time), and very much a book that deserves to be read by anyone with even a minor concern for the future of the human species.

The Cold War
The Cold War
by John Lewis Gaddis
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic As An Introduction..., 2 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Cold War (Paperback)
I, like many others, had my interest in the cold war peaked by glamorous tales of espionage and horrific tales of near nuclear holocaust. The only problem was, I found myself lacking any real knowledge of events leading to the birth of the cold war or any real facts about the war itself other than 'Kennedy didn't really get on with those Russians and Cubans'.
This book gave me the opportunity to change that. Don't get me wrong; I do not, after reading this book, consider myself to now be an expert on the cold war, and if you consider yourself to be an expert, don't even give this book a second look, (I was going to say 'don't give this book a chance' but then felt that this was an unfair comment).
It's an information packed book and a history told with a clear, fluid dialect.
My one problem with this book is the discussion of the Korean War where the author indulges himself in a 'What If' scenario without informing the reader until a few paragraphs later that this was a fictional possibility. However, this is probably brought on by the fact that I had sent a text message to my dad stating boldly, 'This book is so wrong... I know for a fact no atomic or hydrogen weapon has ever been used in aggression other than on Japanese soil', realizing in the next paragraph that I'm a hot headed fool.
Moral of the review...
John Lewis Gaddis has written a very good introduction to a subject that should be taught in schools so that we, as a species, can learn from our mistakes but also that I... am a 'jump to conclusions' idiot.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2012 9:57 PM BST

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 2 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
On this page, if you search hard enough you will inevitably find a handful of critical reviews of this book, stating that either the author has a predictably structured style or that the author more or less believes his readers are morons. Ironic considering that these reviews are written by people who generally can't even be bothered to review their own comments and check for spelling errors!

This book may not be for everyone, but to deny that this book is nothing less than a triumph is simply futile! Disregarding The Pianist, I have never been one to read 'heart-string-pulling' books and I honestly never approached this book with the precept that it was one. However, my heart has been well and truly wrenched and although I confess I am no more 'as hard as nails' as I am Liza Manelli, (sorry... saw South Park the movie the other day..), I was moved by the story and even moved to tears by some of the more subtle aspects of the book. On top of that, my craving for literary prowess has now been satisfied in a way I haven't experienced since first opening the pages of a Chuck Palahniuk novel - a difficult comparison I know, but despite their very different styles/subject matter, Palahniuk and Hosseini have both, for me breathed life back into works of fiction that I had for long thought extinguished.

Try this book. You may not like it, you will not enjoy its topics... but you may be able to find the underlying beauty of this tragic tale and that, above all else is why it is worth taking the risk to read and why I rate this book as a 'five'.

Scrubs : Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Scrubs : Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Braff
Offered by wmdservices
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I take my mangement skills from Dr Cox..., 5 May 2007
I could rave on and on and on about how good this show is but you'd probably get board and be put off by the fact that such a geek watches this show. I am a geek but that does not change the fact that this show, every single episode, every single season, has to be seen! It is the funniest program I've ever seen but can still manage to stir emotions in me, leaving me feeling happy, hurt & emphatic for the characters. The writers, directors, cast & crew have pulled of the ultimate show. The ultimate comedy show - and it's American. I know! An ultimate American comedy! Who'd have thought...

Mountain Man
Mountain Man
by Vardis Fisher
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem Of A Book, 24 April 2007
This book is magnificent. I'm probably more of a romantic than I am accurate with my history, (scrap that, I'm definitely more of a romantic), but this book really made me feel like I was experiencing both the joy and hardship of what it was like to be a mountain man.

The inclusion of real life characters such as Hugh Glass & Jim Bridger is pure genius on the author's part.

The book is written very well with a hell of a lot of detail. In fact it is this level of detail that makes the book beautiful, vivid & harsh.

Well worth a read, (and for a remarkable price too).

Facing Up: A Remarkable Journey to the Summit of Mount Everest
Facing Up: A Remarkable Journey to the Summit of Mount Everest
by Rev. Colonel David Cooper
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth A Read, 24 April 2007
I decided to buy this book after watching Bear Grylls in his Born Survivor/Man vs. Wild role as I found him to be quite a likeable guy. I was also impressed when I heard of his attempt to scale Everest after breaking his back in two places.

I had never really been all that interested in mountain climbing but after reading this book I have a huge amount of respect for the men and women who attempt to climb this beast of a mountain.

The book is written in a very 'easy to pick up' way, you need no prior knowledge of moutain climbing to enjoy it and my suspicions about Bears likeability were confirmed.

It is a great read and a great introduction to both Everest and the world of extreme mountaineering and I would highly recommend this book to anyone.