Profile for Stephanie > Reviews

Stephanie (Bristol, England)

Loft Conversion Manual
Loft Conversion Manual
by Ian Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars If you plan to convert your loft, get this book first, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Loft Conversion Manual (Hardcover)
Reading the other reviews of this and similar books made me go for this one and I'm glad I did. Mine is not a DIY project. Having read this I was so much better prepared for the early stages of the project and I'm sure as the work progresses I'll continue to find this book useful. All the right questions answered and in a readable practical way. Photos are good. Examples of "What yours might be like" are good, and particularly helpful are the pointers towards what one cannot do as much as what one can. A good buy.

Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks)
Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks)
by Po-Ching Yip

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook. Yip Po-Ching, Don Rimmington., 11 Mar 2010
The layout is good. The explanations and examples and directions are good. I struggle with the terminology/descriptive terms used of the English grammar terms. I have often had to look up a definition of a grammar term in order to use the work in the book effectively. This may be a reflection on the quality of my own education (which was a Grammar School and is beyond first degree)but it has hindered my enjoyment of the book. It could be written with fewer academic grammar terms so that of us who are not linguists and not students of grammar but do want to learn another language beyond just learning phrases might find it easier to use.