Profile for F. W. Alexander > Reviews

Content by F. W. Alexander

F. W. Alexander

Classic Men's Touriste Commuter Bike - Black ( Wheel 700C, Frame 22 Inch)
Classic Men's Touriste Commuter Bike - Black ( Wheel 700C, Frame 22 Inch)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just about good enough after chain was fixed, 29 Mar. 2013
This bike was a Xmas pressie. Although I regretted choosing this bike many a time while I put it together and tried to fine tune the gears and brakes, I can say now I am pleased with it - but it took an intervention by Amazon to turn me round! There was a problem with the chain, which really should have been picked up on by quality control of the manufacturer, if there was any! A simple check would have revealed one of the links had been rivetted badly and caused the gears to jump and make a clunk on each revolution. I called Moore Large, who's name was on the manual, but they said they were merely the distributor, not the manufacturer and told me I need to follow it up with the retailer (Amazon in my case) as they don't offer any support. So I emailed Amazon. I'm pleased to say they did respond appropriately and the chain problem was solved with little fuss, other than my time to drop off and pick up the bike to get the repairs done at the local cycle shop.

Assembly was not that straight forward. The manual is difficult to follow, but luckily I am the type that's curious to figure out how things work, so I gradually got the right pieces in the right places. The allen key provided was not really good enough to get the tighness thats needed. Makes for an interesting project, if you have a tool set and like basic mechanical stuff. I did the finer adjustment of brakes and gears after a little research online. If not, many cycle shops offer to assemble them and do all the adjustments for a set fee. My local would have charged £40.

I took it for a first proper outing (only 3 miles) today and it went well enough. The position of the handle bars is a little strange and not as comfortable as it might be. There is no adjustment for that, due to the very basic components used. The top speed in top gear is not great, but acceptable. Low gear uphill, slightly better. I would say the gear change (which is on the handles) is counter intuitive - the opposite rotation from the set up on most bikes (and the industry standard I expect). Brakes were very effective - not too screechy on mine. On the whole, it's not too bad at all though. The low price is the added incentive so my expectations are not too high. I can say at this stage, I am happy with it. Short journeys is what this bike is ideal for, not touring...as the name would misleadingly suggest!

illy ESE Espresso coffee paper pods (Pack of 2, Total 36 Servings) 44mm
illy ESE Espresso coffee paper pods (Pack of 2, Total 36 Servings) 44mm

2.0 out of 5 stars overpriced, 24 Aug. 2011
I didn't find the taste was that great. Each pod seems to be one shot, but I think it's not very strong for a shot. Better value elsewhere. I've stopped using pods altogether now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 9:07 PM GMT

Panasonic CT-559WBPQ Combination Microwave Oven
Panasonic CT-559WBPQ Combination Microwave Oven

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, but good price, 24 Aug. 2011
My Dad has a 5 year old Panasonic combo microwave oven. Works brilliantly and gets used a lot. I loved it too, when I used it, so I especially was pleased to see this one at such a reasonable price. However, I soon found out when I first used it, even though the functions and features are similar, the design is much poorer on this one. On my Dads, when you use the convection feature, the heating element for the oven is at the side, which means as the plate turns, the direct heat from it is evenly spread over the dish. Nice even cooking and fast. In this one, its above the dish - the same element as used for the grill feature. Even though the plate rotates, its getting that strong direct source of heat from above all the time. It doesn't heat the dish or the food in it very evenly. It can often burn the top of the food before it's cooked through. This one is way noisier than my Dads, too. But...it is a cheap price for a combo, so I thought I'll put up with it and keep it. Then, a few weeks later, just after it was too late to send it back to Amazon anyway, the glass plate inside broke! I note this had happened to other reviewers. I think it was caused by the direct heat from the element whilst using the convection. It wasn't a very high heat, but anyway, it just cracked! Panasonic did replace it and warned me they only do it once. Fair enough. My Dads oven can go on full heat for ages and the glass plate has always been fine. On mine, I'll make sure I use the brown metal plate to cover the glass in future when I use Convection. I don't find the instructions very clear about that.

Samsung XL2370HD 23 inch Full HD 1080p Widescreen LED TV/Monitor (5ms,5,000,000:1,HDMI)

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung XL2370HD monitor/tv, 12 Jan. 2011
I've had the XL2370HD for a week now. I didn't find the manual very clear, so I've been spending a little time each day to test out the various connectors and features. The non-HD Freeview TV picture provided by it's own tuner/receiver was better than I expected. I then fed my Dad's SkyHD (which is 720P I believe) through the HDMI - again, very good, considering the price of this unit. I found the sound to be very acceptable.

I do a lot of movie editing, so wanted it mainly as a second screen connected to my 15" MacBook Pro, via it's mini displayPort. I have both adapters - Mini displayPort to HDMI and Mini displayPort to DVI. First, I tested the HDMI, which all worked fine. I'd say the picture quality was good, not great (for 1080P standard. But, when I tested the DVI, I just couldn't get it to work at all - a blank screen, with my MacBook pro not detecting the existence of another display (Yes, I did have the source on the Samsung set to DVI). I have had the same laptop, adapter and cable successfully connecting to a Dell monitor/tv's DVI port, so I doubt the problem is simply that. But then I tried a different adapter - going from Mini displayPort to HDMI to DVI and connecting to the Samsung's DVI port and it worked correctly. Therefore, the DVI port does seem to work under certain conditions. It's annoying there's this issue with the compatibility between my MacBook Pro and this monitor. The driver provided was only for PC's and I have seen no driver to download anywhere on the internet. I mention this, (a) for the benefit of other Mac users thinking of purchasing this item, if their Mac has the Mini displayPort and (b) in case anyone reading this, had similar issues and has found a solution they wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks.

Two years on, and the tv is still working great. I think now that the issue I wrote about regarding the DVI output is a problem with the type of DVI cable used. My MacBook Pro is the fussy one, not the Samsung tv!