Profile for Wee Shubba > Reviews

Content by Wee Shubba

Wee Shubba "@ Wee Shubba's World" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Cow Tripped Over the Moon: A Nursery Rhyme Emergency
The Cow Tripped Over the Moon: A Nursery Rhyme Emergency
by Jeanne Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and quick., 8 April 2016
*I was sent this book from Walker Books for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not sway my thoughts on the book at all.

The other night my 9 year decided to read this before bed. He isn't a big reader but I try to encourage him to read. And even though he is a bit too old for this kind of book, he still really enjoyed it. I did aswell.

The story is short and sweet and very quick tor read. It has a nice twist on classic nursery rhymes and a lot of the characters are included in this one story. The readers are taken on an adventure in Storyland by the Nursery Rhyme Ambulance seeing who the crew encounter and how they can help.

The book itself is very eye catching, bright and the illustrations are just fantastic! The tale is funny and engaging which will keep the little ones entertained.

Personally I think this a wonderful bed time read that would be suitable for children under 5. That's not to say kid older than 5 and adults won't enjoy because we certainly did.

My son also wrote a short but sweet review:

" I thought that The Cow Tripped Over The Moon was a brilliant, amazing and funny story.

It was very quick and had lots of bright pictures. It also had a lot fun details to keep me reading the story.

There are lots of different characters like, Humpty Dumpty and Little Boy Blue.

It is a little young for me.

But my little sister would probably really enjoy it and find it funny!

4stars"

The Affiliate (Ascension Book 1)
The Affiliate (Ascension Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, enchanting and dangerous., 3 Mar. 2016
*Originally Posted on Wee Shubba's World*

I bought this a whim! It was only 99p on kindle and well that cover is amazing!! YA Fantasy is not a genre I usually read a lot. However, lately I have been finding the YA Fantasy is becoming a very strong genre within the YA books and the ones I have read are usually fantastic. The Affiliate is by far one of the more unique and fast paced ones. I can't wait to for next one.

All of Cyrene's life she has dreamt of her Presentation and gaining a position among the Royal Court. What she doesn't bargain for is being appointed an Affiliate to the Queen. Unfortunately the Queen doesn't like Cyrene purely because of the King's fascination with her. Cryene just wants to get on duty but things don't go that way. Soon Cyrene is thrown into a world of mystery, intrigue and danger. And torn between her attraction to the King and Freedom.

The Affiliate is such a unique tale. I haven't read anything like before. The author manages to create a world that is stunning, mysterious and dangerous. I found myself completely entrance when the beautiful story telling. However, at times I just think some of scenes jumped around a little making it hard to keep track.

The characters are all pretty intense and quite full on from the start. Cyrene is a very strong willed teenager and has a bit of a problem keeping her mouth closed at times. Especially around King Edric. The chemistry between them is sizzling. I was rooting for them but obviously we don't always get to have it easily in a good YA series. Edric is rather handsome, charming and a tad dangerous because he is The King so it was easy to see why Cyrene was attracted to him.
[Pin on Pinterest]

BUT like any YA story there is a sort love triangle between Cyrene, King Edric and Prince Kael. At first I liked Prince Kael but he a womaniser. Kael is a bit of an arse but I think deep down he does really care for Cyrene. He just has a bad way of showing it.

I managed to read this in just over a day. It was so memorizing that I completely forgot all about time and just enjoyed the story, getting swept up in the adventure and danger. Usually with fantasy novels there are way to much back story and description of the scenes that it distracts from the actual story but the author doesn't do that here. She sets up the book nicely with just enough information for the reader to understand the world. Instead of bombarding the readers when do much descriptive scenes she covers just enough so we get a perfectly clear picture in our heads without it turning boring. I honestly seen this whole book play in my head like movie!!!

I can't recommend this book enough. If you like YA fantasy this is must read. Go now while it's still only 99p on kindle. You won't be disappointed. But you will be left begging for more!!!

Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test Kit with Weeks Indicator, 2 Tests
Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test Kit with Weeks Indicator, 2 Tests

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!!!, 10 Dec. 2015
I don't know why I bother with this brand. You'd think for the price it would work. However every test I've took has an error code. And they are expensive. Sticking to the doctors tests from now on.

All the Rage
All the Rage

3.0 out of 5 stars MIxed Feelings., 28 Sept. 2015
This review is from: All the Rage (Kindle Edition)
May contain slight spoilers.

I have mixed feeling about this book. On one hand the story is very powerful and beautifully written. However, on the other hand I felt like the ending didn't give the readers any kind of conclusion to how things end up. And it ruin the book slightly for me.

Romy has been outcast by her classmates and friends after one night she accused the golden boy and sheriff's son of rape. No one believes her. She is bullied and shamed. I felt for Romy I really did. The girl is hurting and everyone thinks she is lying. The night she was raped has destroyed her but day by day she finds the power to keep going even though she has lost everything.

All The Rage is a very power and heartbreaking story. While I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to be in a situation like that, the author managed to convey the inner battle Romy had with herself that makes the readers really think. This is a very real issue in world. Women are shamed and blamed for wearing the "wrong" clothing. Like they asked for it. No woman would asked to raped. It doesn't matter how revealing their clothes are or if they were drinking or not. And it's a sad world that we live in that in many cases the story of Romy is very real.

The way this story is written is so unique. It's hard to describe. It's so beautifully written. It's almost poetic like. Lyrical even. However, (here there maybe slight spoilers) the ending!!! After reading the blurb I was waiting for the "shocking conclusion" but it never came. The ending leaves so many loose ends that had me so frustrated. I wanted to know what happens to the characters but it left everything up the air. Now that's fine if it's a cliffhanger for a series but as far as I am aware this is a stand alone and the ending sucks!! Sorry!!

I do recommend All The Rage because apart from the ending it has a very real and power message and doesn't shy away from details. Big props to the author for that.

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged: A heartwarming romantic comedy
Sofia Khan is Not Obliged: A heartwarming romantic comedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Sofia Khan Is Not Obliged!, 16 Sept. 2015
When I was contacted to review this title, I was a little nervous. I am not one to usually jump into a romantic comedy read but this sounded different. And I am so glad I read it because it's funny, fast paced and gives the reader an insight into the day to day life of a single Muslim woman living in the UK.

Sofia Khan is a single. She works at a book publisher and when her boss assigns her the job of writing a book about Muslim dating, Sofia is forced to deal with her lack of love life. Trying to write a witty book as well as being true to herself. And finding love in the most unexpected places.

What a fantastic and fun read this was. I was hooked from page one and feel in love with the characters. Sofia is just so funny and her one liners had be in stitches. She is so down to earth and likable. The way the story is told I felt like you could really connect with the character because it's wrote as blog/diary entries so everything is from Sofia's point of view and a very unique way to tell the story. As I haven't read many books like that.

Even though this is a romantic comedy and it is a nice light hearted read. It still manages to teach the readers what it is like to be a Muslim woman and the day to day live of a Muslim family who are really close. Her dad is my favourite. He is just so funny. However, there is another side. There are times in the story that will make you cry. My heart actually broke at one point and I had to put the book down to stop myself crying. And then there was a feeling of anger. Racism is touch upon on this book. Now, this is something that really makes my blood boil. I felt a personal connection because my son, who is only 8 has had to deal with people calling him names because of his skin colour. So at one point I could feel Sofia's anger like it was my own.

I highly recommend you giving this a try if you are looking for something a little bit different with plenty of laugh out loud moments. I am really excited to read more of the authors work in the future.

Drive Me Crazy
Drive Me Crazy

5.0 out of 5 stars It's cute, sassy and hilarious., 4 July 2015
This review is from: Drive Me Crazy (Kindle Edition)
Drive Me Crazy was just Perfect! It's such a fun and quick read that I devoured within two sittings. (Around 8 hours all in). Lately I have been in a slump and this little gem was the perfect fix!!

Candice has been having a secret relationship with her boss for a year. They had planned to go on a "business" trip together to figure out their future. However, things don't go to plan and soon Candice is on her trip with Danny, the new guy. Danny brings out the real Candice and takes her on a journey discovering herself and realising she worth so much more than being a "secret".

The character's are what make this book just a fantastic story. Candice I didn't always like her but I felt sorry for her. I wanted to slap some sense into her for being so naive. Her life revolves around Will. Everything from how she acts to what she wears, even her diet. She irritated me. However, when she is with Danny on the trip she really comes into her own. She discovered who is truly is and starts to actually life. Danny is just a really likable guy. He is down to earth, easy going and is forever getting himself into trouble but in a charming way. Also it helps that is a Hot geek with a sexy topknot and muscles galore lol. Now I can't really go into much details about Will without giving away spoilers. But I hated him from the start!! He is an arse!! That's all I am going to say.

Seriously, I can't fault this book at all. The author nailed everything I need in a good romantic chick lit novel. It's cute, sassy and bloody hilarious. With believable characters who you fall in love with (Danny), feel sorry for (Candice) and freaking Loathe (Will Hart).

If you are looking for a fun and quick read then please give this a try. Drive Me Crazy is one of those rare books that had me properly laughing out loud. So I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a good romantic comedy.

USN Diet Fuel Ultralean Weight Control Meal Replacement Shake Powder, Strawberry - 2 kg

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 1 July 2015
Unfortunately this just wasn't to my liking. I thought it tasted horrible and no matter how much I mixed it in my shaker it just didn't blend well. Lumps of powder. I will use it because I hate wasting products but I will not be using again!!

STV Player
STV Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: STV Player (App)
This app is useless. It keeps crashing on the checking location part. Very annoying. Hopefully it gets fixed soon so I can actually use it.

What If
What If
by Rebecca Donovan

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and Amazing!, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: What If (Paperback)
"What If" is a story that had me hooked from page one! It was exciting, funny, beautifully written and slightly mysterious with a lot of serious issue that is mixed into the main story between Cal and Nyelle.

I am actually having trouble trying to do write a proper review because I think no matter what I say I will end up spoiling the story. And "What If" is the kind of book that you just have to read without really knowing anything about it. The author takes you on a journey that if you have even the slightest idea of something that happens in it, you will lose the magic of discovering what happens as it actually happens. (If that makes any sense at all?? lol)

"What If" is such an amazing read. The story is like an emotional roller coaster, which I love! I love drama and this is packed with drama and amazing characters. Cal I think is just lovable. I haven't read many books that have a males point of view but this is one of the better ones that I have read. Nyelle is a girl who I connected with straight away. She is impulsive, a little wild but very mysterious.

As I said above this is an emotional read as well. You are drawn into the story and get so caught up with the characters life's that you can't help but feel exactly what they are going through. At one point it took me about 30 minutes just to read a few pages because I could not stop crying. So have tissues if you are cry very easily!!!!!

If you like emotionally charge new adult romance fiction then this is a book that I recommend!!! I now really need to read the authors others book!!

Forever Kansas (The Ruby Blue Series Book 5)
Forever Kansas (The Ruby Blue Series Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Awesome!!!, 15 Nov. 2014
A while back I had a chance to read a Beta copy of the first half of the book and I adored every single minute of it. I couldn't wait to get started on the finished copy and it did not disappoint me at all. Forever Kansas is a companion novel to the Ruby Series and ideally to be read after Forever Blue. It's is told from Brennan POV and I think is quite possibly my favourite title in the Ruby Blue World.

Forever Kansas is told from Brennan's Pov instead of Ruby's. I loved Brennan in the original books but I fell completely head over heals for him in this one. It was genuinely refreshing to get inside his head and read from a guys voice. (I haven't read many books that the POV is male) And to view the other characters through his eyes was fascinating. Especially Ruby. Ruby is kick ass and awesome but in this installment we see her how Brennan see's her and it's simply magical watching these two characters feelings develop for one another.

The story is fan-freaking-tastic! I was hooked from the first line. It's thrilling, exciting and god damn hilarious! Rarely a book will have my physically laughing out loud. Yes, there are books that will give me a wee chuckle to myself but Forever Kansas and all the books in the Ruby Blue series always have my stitches! Mainly due to the awesomeness of Jeremy! He is just so bloody comical!!

If you have been following me you all should know I loved these books! Julie Cassar is my favourite indie author and her books always seem to get better and better. She is so god damn talented and I hope more people will pick up her books!!

I highly recommend everyone to get started on the author's Ruby Blue series. They are super fun, smart and kickass. With amazing plot twists and lovable characters you will not be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20