Profile for Wee Shubba > Reviews

Content by Wee Shubba

Wee Shubba "@ Totally Bookalicious" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Bloodlines (book 1)
Bloodlines (book 1)
by Richelle Mead

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Spin off, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bloodlines (book 1) (Paperback)
I think everyone who has read the Vampire Academy have been waiting anxiously for this book. I for one have been out crazy waiting. And it was for one thing only, Adrian. Yes I love Adrian and in the last book of the Vampire Academy series, Last Sacrifice poor Adrian got his heart ripped out completely so I was super excited to see what was in store for him. However, I was a bit wary about the fact it was being told from Sydneys POV. However, I didn't have to worry cause it was superb!

Bloodlines is the new spin-off from Vampire Academy series. It is told from Syndeys point of view and follows her story as she is forced into protecting Jill, a moroi princess. Jill was attacked at the Moroi Royal Court and with Eddie who is a dhampir, Adrian and Syndey they all go into hiding. However, as the story unravels and secrets are revealed will the new gang be able to keep young Jill safe?

I want to get the negative out the way so I can tell you what I actually loved about this book. I found this book at first quite slow in build up. Sydney honestly I didn't really like in the Vampire Academy book she wasn't a character that really stands out. And at first in Bloodlines I didn't think she was a very strong main character but about a third of the way in I really did start to warm up to her. She grows as a character throughout the story and in the end she really is becoming a very strong kickass main character. Not as Strong as Rose but I think Sydney has alot of potential.

As well as Syndey there is a few other characters from the VA Series. Jill who is a moroi princess really annoyed me. I don't know why. She just irritated me. I hope in the next book she will be less annoying lol. Eddie is a Dhampir who is on probation after the events in Last Sacrifice (VA 6) I really like Eddie. He is one of those really nice guys who you can't help want to be friends with because he cares for his friends and is very loyal to them.

Now I can't do this review without talking about my man. Adrian!! Oh yeah! I have missed him so much. I was Team Adrian from the moment he appeared in the VA Series. He is arognant, full of himself and so so sexy. However, he is a soft and deep side to him that I hope we get to explore more in this new series. I really hope there going to be something with Sydney and him. I though it was obvious that Sydney attracted to him. I pray he gets a good love story in this series.

At first I thought the story was slow but it was a gradual build up to the action and my god it was fantastic!!! There is quite a few secrets to be unraveled throughout the story that makes you keep reading. And there is one heck of twist that my god I did not see coming until I was smacked in the face with it. I mean WOW.

And Oh My God. What a freaking ending. Those who have read it will know exactly what I am talking about. I was sitting just like :O I am sooooooo excited for book 2. I need to find out what happens next. I think the next book is going to be bigger and better

Bloodstone (Rebel Angels Series)
Bloodstone (Rebel Angels Series)
by Gillian Philip

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic And Exciting, 2 Nov 2012
Gillian Philip has did it again!! I adore this series. The first book Firebrand (my review) was such a breath of fresh air in a genre that is over populated with vampires, and werewolves. It grabbed me from the start and I was eagerly awaiting the sequel. So when I contacted the publisher I was super excited when they allowed me to read and review Bloodstone. It was just as explosive as book 1.

Bloodstone is set in the present day Scotland. Sithe Brothers Seth and Conal have been in the Mortal world for 500 years searching for The Bloodstone. Soon they are catapulated back into the own world along with Finn, Conal Neice, Jed a mortal boy who cares for Finn and Jed's infant brother. Together they are fighting to stay alive.

Trying to describe this book is hard. It one of those book that takes your breath away. I truely love it. Seth is one of those self centred, arogant character that you do fall for when you see his sweet side. He is an arse most of the time but he is one of the most Loyal characters I have ever came across in a book. His love for his brother and the fact he would do almost anything for him it what makes him Seth. Conal is one of those men who on the outside is a tough strong man but underneath is a big softy and that comes across when he is with Jed's baby brother.

We are introduced to some new characters, Finn and Jed. Finn is Conal neice and has been brought but unaware of her Sithe heritage. She is a loner and doesn't have any friends she meets Jed. Jed is one of those characters I am on the fence with. On one hand, he is a thief and a cheeky little bugger but on the other hand he really cares for Finn and his llittle brother. The chemistry between all the characters I think is what makes this book so addictive and engaging.

The story itself is amazing! The plot is explosive, epic and freaking awesome. It fast paced anf full of action you will be sitting reading with you heart in your mouth waiting to see what was going to happen next. There is never a dull moment. Gillian has created a fantastic sequel to Firebrand that will be enjoyed adults and older teen.

Bloodstone, personally wasn't as good as Firebrand just because I loved the fact the Firebrand was set in 1600s. As you can tell with the review I did still love it and the story is just as good but just for me I prefered book one. However, I am super excited to see what instore in the next.

Haunting Violet
Haunting Violet
by Alyxandra Harvey

4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic YA Ghost Story, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Haunting Violet (Paperback)
Haunting Violet is set in late 1800's England. It follows the story of sixteen year old Violet as she helps her mother perform fake seances. Her mother has a very successful reputation with her seances which leads them to the wealthy Lord Jasper's country estate to perform for him and his guests. However, whilst there Violet discovers she can see ghosts, even though she doesn't want to. And soon Violet and her friends are trying to solve the murder of ghost called Rowena.

I had been wanting this book ever since I first seen it online. So when I got a copy for review you can guess that I was rather thrilled. I have heard alot about Alyxandra Harvey and her work and I have only just read the first book in The Drake Chronicles and I loved it (my review) so I was pretty excited for this. However, I honestly never knew this book was a historical paranormal. I haven't read many books that are in past tense so I was a bit worried. But I didn't have to be because I thought it was fantastic.

Violet is one of those really great main characters for a book. Even though her mother doesn't treat her very well she is still so strong. I think she is probably one of the easiest characters I have ever connected with it a book. I don't if it is was because she is a strong independent girl, or if it was because even though its set in the 1800s you can imagine Violet being your friend and getting along with perfectly. What I did love the most about Violet was her friendship with Elizabeth. Elizabeth is a very happy bubbly character and you can't help but smile when reading about her. Their friendship is pure and from time to time very funny.

Violet does of course have a couple of love interests. What book is complete with out it? There is Xavier and Colin. Xavier even though he was a gentleman I just didn't like him at all. He is shallow and just doesn't connect with Violet. Colin on the other hand is dreamy (I think its the fact he is Irish I go weak at the knees from Irishmen) Colin has lived with Violet and her mother since he was young boy so he knew Violet and when she tells him about the ghosts he helps her.

Now, I can't do this review without mention the Mother. Argh, I hated her with a passion. Tricking people into believing she was a medium. She is just a selfish woman who wants nothing more than wealth.

Haunting Violet has quite a few elements to it. It's Historical Fiction, a paranormal ghost story and a murder mystery all rolled into one. Its truely fantastic. Being set in the 1800s it creates a perfect atmosphere for a gothic novel. Set in a country estate gives a really spooky fell that I honestly has goosepimples reading parts of it. Also with it being set in the UK it was fantastic to see some of the words we use within the book. I always love that in book.

My only negative is that I found the begining rather slow. It wasn't really until Violet seen her first ghost that I was truely captivated by the story.

Alyxandra Harvey has created a brilliant gothic novel that is a little spooky. If you like your books that are different and full of supsense with one hell of a twist that you don't see coming then I urge you to pick up a copy and get reading.

Wide Awake - Academy of the Fallen Series
Wide Awake - Academy of the Fallen Series

4.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 2 Nov 2012
Wide Awake is one of those spellbinding books that keeps you entranced all the way through. If I had the time I would have read this books in the space for a few days. It was incredible.

Kayla is like every other 16 year old girl. She has a great family and good friends. However, soon she meants Caroline who appears when Kayla doesn't expect it like in her bedroom in the middle of night. Kayle soon realised that she isn't an ordinary girl, she can see and speak to ghosts. Pretty soon Kayla's life is in danger and its up to Hunter to try and keep her safe from the evil Benjamin.

There are quite a few factors that make this story an excellent read. The story line is original and fast paced and the dynamic between the main characters is what makes the story such a good read. The chemistry we see between Kayla and Hunter is undeniable. They are both very independant characters their personalities are very similar. However, its when Kayla is confronted with Benjamin (the creepy bad guy) it becomes clear that Hunter and Kayla have a special bond. This just makes it a very easy read because the characters are flow nicely together.

Wide Awake has a very original story line that is fast paced. I love that there is a little bit of mythology woven into the current storyline explaining some of the backstory. It definity an interesting take on angels.

I do have one small negative. The ending. Without giving anything away it ends on a series cliffhanger. I don't using mind cliffhangers but this one I just didn't like. However, Daniele has done it in such a way that when you turn the very last page to realise there is no more you actually will scream at you book.

What else I say about this novel. Daniele has create such an interesting world that is captivatingly haunting with fantastic twist on the angel story. Fans of angels and supernatural beings will love this.

Unearthly
Unearthly
by Cynthia Hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and Amazing., 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Unearthly (Paperback)
Unearthly is about a teenage girl called Clara. However, Clara isn't a normal girl, She is part angel. And she has been having vision of her "Purpose" as an angel. This see her and her family (her mum and brother) move Wyoming so she can fulful her purpose. However, this don't go smoothly got Clara and soon she is faced with a terrible choice. Fulfill her purpose or save the boy the she loves?

First I want to just mention this books cover! How freaking pretty is that? I mean its stunning. I think its fits really well with the story. Clara all white which is how I picture her when she does her glowing Glory thing. And standing in the forest is massive to plot. The cover just has a very ethereal feel to it.

Unearthly is one of those stories that you just lose all sense of time reading. For me, it was the relationship between the characters that I found to entertaining that I just couldnt put this down. Clara is just super cute! She really is a fantastic main character. She is one of those characters that you can imagine being friends with her. When she moves to Wyoming she quickly becomes friends with Wendy and then Angela. Both these characters are total opposite from one another but when reading the story its easy to see why Clara is friends with both.

Now the reason Clara moves to Wyoming is to fulfill her purpose as an angel. Her purpose is involves Christian the hottest boy in school and Clara of course like any girl would is drooling over him. They becomes close but Christian has to go away for the summer. Enter Tucker! Wendys brother. oh Tucker! From the moment Clara arrived in Wyoming Tucker and Clara show a dislike to one another. Soon though after Tucker is roped into being Clara's birthday present from Wendy they start to form this undeniable connection. And honestly one of the cutest book couples ever!! I love them. I love Tucker!

For me the story plays second to the characters. But what an awesome story line. There is never a dull moment in this book. Its full of supense slowing building up to the tough choice Clara has to make. The romance in this story is one the gradually develops making the story that more believable.

What a fantastic, gripping and cute book Unearthly is. Its such a refreshing tale of angels. Angels have completely blown up on the YA market just now and this book its honestly one of my faves. I dont have a bad word to say about this book. Cynthia has created something that is so good and literally leave you begging for more

Forbidden (Definitions)
Forbidden (Definitions)
by Tabitha Suzuma

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly Beautiful, 2 Nov 2012
OMG, I have no idea how on earth I can even review this book. I know I won't do it any justice but I will try my hardest. BE WARNED! This review may not make sense and may contain slight spoilers.

OK Here goes. Breathe

Forbidden is about two teenagers Lochan and Maya, they are brother and sisters and are forced to take on the role of parents looking after their three younger siblings after there father left and their mother turns to drink and is never there. Being thrown together as a team the soon realise they have feelings for each other that goes beyond the feelings a brother and sister should have And they fall in love.

I wanted to read this book for so long. I had read nothing but fantastic reviews for it. I finally got a chance to read it after the publishers kindly sent me out a copy. However, I kept putting it off and putting it off. This wasn't anything to do with the incest. It was the fact that everyone who reads it seems to have a complete breakdown. So after having the book for a good while. I decided it was now or never. And let me tell you. I have never ever ever been so moved by a book in my entire life.

Lochan and Maya are two people that I really like. Lochan is a shy boy who has social anxiety that stops him speaking in public Only at home and around Maya can he be himself. Maya is a rock to Lochan. She is just so likable. Together they make a great team looking after their two brothers, Kit and Willa and their young sister Willa. They have had to grow up so fast because their mother neglects them. The feelings they have for each other are so pure (and of course forbidden) and strong that its hard not to root them to have a happy ending.

Not once did this subject matter bother me. Incest goes on the world.Whether you think its immoral or not its happens. Forbidden is consensual incest. I honestly didn't see a problem with it, (Please Dont shoot me) I am not condoning incest in any way. But who am I to Judge? Who are you to Judge? Maya and Lochan have a love that is so powerful and they truely do love each other. No one is forced into any thing. So it didn't gross me out or think it was wrong. Now saying that I do have a brother and the thought of anything like that is just a big no no and creeps me out. I just wanted to point out incase I get another person saying "oh you must not have a brother" just because I didn't think this book was wrong

Just to say sorry if none of this makes sense. I am having a really hard time keeping myself together even writing this review. When I was reading this book. I did find the beginning very slow and took a while to get into but once I was I was hooked. I read like a really good romance but I kept wondering when something would happen to make the emotional break down happen. I though there was something wrong with me at first. However, there was nothing wrong with me. I did get my tears. It hits you like a tone of bricks in the last 50 pages or so. And I mean tears. Oh my god I was inconsolable. My son thought there was something really wrong with me. I was breaking my heart. I have never ever felt anything like this in my life. My heart was aching. I was honestly in pain. Yes, I am now remembering everything and I am in tears again!! So I am going to stop and say sorry for this ramble of the review.

All I can say is Please please read this book. Keep an open mind about the subject matter. Its won't be easy read. Its just heartbreakingly beautiful. This is a book that I will never be able to read again but its going to stay with me forever.

Crossroads
Crossroads
by Mary Ting

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written YA with Forbidden Love and Danger, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Crossroads (Paperback)
WOW!! Seriously just WOW! Crossroads is one of those stories that you can just lose yourself in. With a gripping storyline and adorable main characters its everything that is wonderful about Young Adult Literature.

Crossroads is about 16 year old Claudia who while sleeping enters into a world called the Crossroads. There she meets Michael who has fallen in love with her before she even knew him. However, Claudia shouldn't be able to get into the Crossroads and soon everything she thought was true in life is turned upset down and she is being hunted by fallen angels.

The characters in this book are all so likeable. Claudia is really down to earth and even when faced with terrible situations she is still strong. When she meets Michael she is completely smitten. It's really easy to understand why. Even though at first Michael is rude to her. It's only because he confused about why he is feeling human emotional. You see Michael is an Alkin, half angel and half human. It's not long though until they are both madly in love and seriously the thing Michael say's to Claudia is so romantic it makes me jealous. My favourite character is another angel, Davin. He is just so funny and cute. There is just something that make you connect with him. He is just an all round nice person who is loyal to his friends.

Now the story at first was a little slow for the first couple of chapters. However, after I got into it I was completely hooked! The storyline is simply fantastic!! It's about angel but Mary has created a story that is completely different to more angel stories. She has put alot of Mythology behind her angels and it just makes the readers understand and connect easier with the characters.

Crossroads is a beautifully written debut novel that has everything you need for a outstanding read. Forbidden love, danger, angels and demons what not to love?

Sirenz
Sirenz
by Charlotte Bennardo

3.0 out of 5 stars nice cute read., 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sirenz (Paperback)
Sirenz is one of those stories that is just a super cute read. Its really light and funny and doesn't take much brain power which is great for a nice relaxing quick read.

The story follows Meg and Shar after a horrible incident that ends up with them being indebted to Hades, Lord of the Underworld. They are forced into a contract that involves them trying to get a soul into the underworld and if they fail they will both be forced to into the Underworld forever.

Meg and Shar are the complete opposite of each other. Meg is a goth and Shar loves pink. Both are very strong characters and even when they are faced with temptation they are strong willed enough not to give in. What I really like about them is that at first they really don't like each other. But as the story continues they end up best friends. I prefered Meg out the two. Meg is just one of those girls who turn head but she doesn't even know it. She catches the attention of Jeremy and soon Shar is very jealous of her. At first I really didn't like Shar, she came across very selfish and up herself but I did end up liking her.

Now of course I have to mention Hades, oh Hades, I would have given into him straight away. There is just something so sexy and dangerous about him. I was drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Hades is Haute!

Sirenz at first took me a little while to get into. The begining is quite slow but it gradually picks up and about halfway through I was eager to see what would happen next to Meg and Shar. They really did end up in really funny situations.

Charlotte and Natalie have created a very fun and light read that has a little bit of everything. Love, friendship, hot males and of course a Greek Gods what's not to like. Yet you probably thinking why I didn't rate the book higher? Well the book was a good read. However, as mentioned above it was quite slow to start and I really didn't like Shar at first. It could have been a little longer and with a bit more action but overall a good read!

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly - Trilogy)
Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly - Trilogy)
by Susan Dennard

5.0 out of 5 stars Kicks Ass!!, 28 Oct 2012
**Received for Review via Edelweis in exchange for a honest review*

I had been coveting this book since I first seen the cover a few months ago. I am a sucker for a pretty cover. Especially ones with dresses. Yip, it is a trend I will never tired off!! And the blurb just sounded amazing. So you can imagine my excitment with I got approved to review the e-arc. I was honestly fangirling, dancing everywhere. However, with a pretty cover sometimes the story inside doesn't live up to the cover. Was this the case here? HELL NO!!!! It was amazing, one of my favourite reads of 2012 so far!!

Something Strange and Deadly was nothing like I was expecting it to be. I knew it had zombies and paranormal elementals but for some reason I had no idea it was set in Victorian times. Now usually when books are set in Victorian time or even a pseudo-Victorian time it is a hit or miss with me. But this works perfectly, there is no way this story could have worked in any other time period. It was perfect.

The main character in this story is Eleanor, a young lady who is head strong and determind to find her brother and resue him. She is such a strong willed person that it is impossible not to like her courage. Especially with the fact that this is set at time where it isn't proper for a young lady to be roaming around alone and getting up to mischief. I have nothing bad to say about her. I adored her, she is one of those characters you want to be around and hear more of their stories. A character you really root for.

The story is one of those that grip you from start to finish. I honestly found it really hard to put down and if my home live wasn't so hectic I think I could have read this in one sitting. It just flows wonderfully that you get wrapped up in the story and the characters and block out everything else around you. The biggest thing I loved about this was that Susan took a risk with the romance. Or I should say the lack of romance really. There is no instalove (thank god) it's not until about 3/4 into the book the romance develops. However, it doesn't overshadow the main plot and I applaud the author for this. I do like a good romance in books but I actually prefer one that has is full of action and the romance to be an bonus to the story.

Susan has created a kick ass story that's fun and action packed and with twists I did not see coming with Zombies that will give you the creeps. They are proper Zombies that given the chance will eat you!! My only negative is that I need to wait until Summer 2013 to read the sequel I need it now!!!

Kissing Zombies (Girl's Guide, #1-2)
Kissing Zombies (Girl's Guide, #1-2)
by Richard Denney

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Oct 2012
I grabbed this on Kindle for free. The cover caught my eye and so did the title. So I snapped it up. I went into it thinking it was going to be a fun, light read. And in a way it was. It was very light and very quick. It doesn't take any brain power to read so it works good for a filler novel. However, I like my books to have some depth to the story so it just didn't grab me.

Kissing Zombies is a bind up of two novella's; A Girl's Guide to Falling in Love With a Zombie and A Girl's Guide to Breaking Up With a Zombie and from those titles you expect a funny read. But it's not funny at all. Maybe it was to some people but it wasn't for me. I felt that the story was rushed and very very unrealistic (I know it's a Zombie book but even Zombie books can be realistic with the themes they have in them) I felt the characters where shallow and so boring. However, there is the odd scene or two that I did enjoy especially the scenes when we have our main characters fighting the Zombies.

One of the big things that put me off this was the typos. Now I am not perfect, my reviews are usually full of errors. So the odd one or two in a novel isn't going to annoy me. But there was just so many in this that even I noticed it!

Overall, if you are looking for something that a quick then give it ago. You may like it. Aside for the Cover and the odd fighting scene this one just wasn't really for me and I probably won't read anymore of the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19