Profile for J A Dickson > Reviews

Content by J A Dickson

J A Dickson (York, United Kingdom)

Sailing to Sarantium (Earthlight)
Sailing to Sarantium (Earthlight)
by Guy Gavriel Kay

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and absorbing, 6 Jun. 2001
Having read the other reviews, I can see I am going to be slightly controversial here. I think that Crispin is an excellently depicted character who is very believable as well as being interesting enough to carry the story along. In fact, I found him better realised than some of Kay's characters from previous books who I thought had a tendency to be a little detached from reality and could be too high and noble to be really sympathetic. Actually, all the characters introduced so far in this series ring true to me and I am looking forward to finding out more about them in the sequels. The plot so far is intriguing - the first part was perhaps less gripping than the developments in Sarantium but it was no less interesting in my opinion. Roll on parts 2 and 3.

Transformation: Book One of the Rai-Kirah
Transformation: Book One of the Rai-Kirah
by Carol Berg

5.0 out of 5 stars intelligent, intriguing, involving, 5 Jun. 2001
It's been a long time since I read a book that involved me with it's characters and plot so immediately and fully. I was unable to predict where the story would go (a rarity for most fantasy books) and the gradual revelations of the characters' pasts and motivations kept me fascinated right until the last page. The characters are believable and interesting and the interactions, particularly between Seyonne and Zander, are excellently done. In all, an absorbing and satisfying read which left me anxious for more.