Profile for Mr. Natural > Reviews

Content by Mr. Natural

Mr. Natural (Cork & London)

Page: 1 | 2
New Replacement Rechargeable Battery for Sony Ericsson W580, C902, K770i, K850i, R300, S500i, T303, T650i, W580i, W760i, W980, Z770i (930mAh 3.6V BST-38)
Offered by Glitzy Gizmos
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value New Battery, 10 July 2014
Great value replacement battery (though a bit slow to arrive). Has been performing according to spec - I'm back to getting nearly a week of standby out of my Sony Erricson mobile:-) Delighted.

The Istanbul Puzzle
The Istanbul Puzzle
Price: 1.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Reads Like a First Draft, 12 Sep 2013
I finally gave up on this book half way through, wishing I'd stopped at 25%, the point where I gave in to boredom and started to mostly skim-read, picking out the plot-relevant bits.
I liked the plot concept, and was intrigued at the potential of a story set in such a culture-rich city as Istanbul, which is why I persisted, but sadly there was just too much non-contributory padding.
For me, the book read like a literary equivalent of painting by numbers - insert imaginative metaphor here; end this chapter with a line you hope will ratchet up suspense; alternate chapters between the main story and brief accounts of another story-line to keep folk eagerly anticipating their convergence in a gripping climax. Trouble was, there just wasn't enough writer's craft to pull it off. It read like a first draft that needs a lot of tightening up.
With some serious editing and more focus there's probably a good story here, but it needs a lot more work. The Istanbul Puzzle will remain unsolved for me.
Glad I only paid 99p. I'd feel rather peeved to have paid more.

The Marseille Caper
The Marseille Caper
Price: 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime for Gentlefolk?, 27 Aug 2013
Delightfully written, evocative of that elysian region, a laid-back soft-core crime caper. Gentle, affable and charming, it's not going to set your adrenals alight, and may be too easy-going for some. Non addictive literary opium to nod off to and dream of fragrant sunny hillsides in the south of France? I don't mind a bit of that, now and again. Enjoyable.

The Crossroads Brotherhood: A Crossroads Brotherhood Novella from the bestselling author of the VESPASIAN series
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, 27 Aug 2013
I've enjoyed the couple of Vespasian books I've read, and found 'The Crossroads Brotherhood' novella an entertaining aside into the adventures of Rome's rank and file as Magnus, the firm-but-fair, friendly neighbourhood mobster and his colleagues, engineer some creative mayhem to service some tricky demands handed down from on high. Amusing politics of Roman villainy, intrigue, suspense, murder and a good climactic conflagration. Enjoyable read.

The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, Book One)
The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, Book One)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Fun - and nothing wrong with that., 27 Aug 2013
I've not been a big reader of science fiction for several decades, but quite enjoyed this as a very light bedtime speed-read. A Roswell Conspiracy spin-off idea, reading like a cross between Enid Blyton and the X-Files, I can imagine it going down well with the teenage market. I enjoyed the concept, plot, characters and sci-fi gadget side, and the writing style was fine, I just had to resurrect my inner fifteen year-old to stay fully engaged. I can imagine I'll get round to reading the rest of the trilogy sometime - I want to see what happens next ....

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
Price: 3.67

2.0 out of 5 stars Style not for me, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of historical novels, but the peculiar idiosyncratic style of 'Wolf Hall' made it an impossible read for me. Gave up after a mere 6% of the way through so maybe I should have persisted, but I just couldn't hack it. Of the 120 or so books on my Kindle this is one of only two filed under 'Rubbish'. Gets its fair share of rave reviews, and it is a prize winner, so I daresay the plot and characterisation is good, but click the 'Look Inside' and have a read before buying - it's a love it or hate it job.

Moon Over Soho (PC Peter Grant Book 2)
Moon Over Soho (PC Peter Grant Book 2)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read, 10 Aug 2013
Magic and magicians has never before been my reading genre, but I've hugely enjoyed the two PC Peter Grant novels I've read so far. I love the London setting as I know the place so well, and Ben Aaronovitch's enjoyably straightforward style of writing with credible characters and good plots makes the existence of a small elite magician unit within the Met., for dealing with criminal magic, seem remarkably plausible. The character portrayal of the river spirits is very engaging, especially the way they exist in 'normal' every day life as well as in their own world.
I Look forward to reading the next one in the series.

The Cyclist: A World War II Thriller (World War II Adventure Series)
The Cyclist: A World War II Thriller (World War II Adventure Series)
Price: 1.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read., 10 Aug 2013
A well written enjoyable read. Good character portrayal and evocative description of the time in which it's set. The only reason I didn't rate it 5*'s is that, given the huge risks to himself and his family, I struggled to find credibility in the lead character's dogged pursuit of extra-curricular justice for a dead girl, whom he barely knew, however laudible his motives. If you ignore that, and instead consider his actions in the context an awakening anti-nazi conscience and refusal toe the Vichy line, it was a very entertaining novel with a good measure of suspense and excitement. I look forward to reading another Fred Nath offering.

TRIXES Jewellers Lens 40 X 25mm Loupe Eye Magnifier LED Light
TRIXES Jewellers Lens 40 X 25mm Loupe Eye Magnifier LED Light
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pocket Magnifier, 10 Aug 2013
Excellent pocket magnifier, and the LED light is a top rate addition. I use it for examining small skin lesions in my clinic and the 40x's magnification is just the job.

The Herbalist's Prescriber
The Herbalist's Prescriber
by Christopher Menzies-Trull

5.0 out of 5 stars Info Packed herbal, 1 April 2013
Big materia medica section. Packed with useful and varied info - covers a lot of ground - accessible for quick and easy reference.

Page: 1 | 2