Profile for G. Groom > Reviews

Content by G. Groom

G. Groom (Cowbridge, Wales)

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin
Price: 8.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously - a lifesaver, 16 Mar 2009
Ina May's book informed my amazing natural home birth. The many positive birth stories recounted made me confident, and the 'science' of the second part helped me understand how adrenalin and fear counteracts dilation and progress. None of this information was even remotely available to me through my experience of the medical profession. I'm glad I was able to find it out myself via this book and take control of my birth experience.
It occured to me while watching Comic Relief 2009 that the report by Davina McCall on maternal mortality in developing countries does have a solution!! Training midwives in the techniques used by Ina May Gaskin would empower communities and start to reduce the fear of women about to go into labour. It would be great if we could get copies of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth to Davina McCall, Comic Relief, aid workers and potential midwives in developing countries. Maybe next year money could be used to sponsor projects on this theme, really empowering communities and women all over the world.

The Science of Parenting
The Science of Parenting
by Margot Sunderland
Price: 10.10

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to eliminate doubt and become an empowered parent, 25 Jan 2009
What's the difference between a distressed fit of crying and a controlling 'little Nero' tantrum? How does letting a very young baby cry itself to sleep release harmful body chemicals and discourage trust? How do loving, nurturing behaviours coupled with firm boundaries make for a harmonious relationship with your child?

These and many other questions answered.

There are so many old wives' tales around when it comes to raising your baby and child that this book, by a responsible and caring child psychologist, helps you work out sensible solutions. Are doctors and health visitors always right when giving advice on the emotional health of your baby or does an expert in attachment perhaps have better answers? This book helps you decide and become an empowered parent. It puts the child centre stage because the early experiences of a baby set patterns for life. At the same time, it honours the needs of mothers, who need love, support and community. I hope this is the way parenting will progress in future years.
Please read this book if you are pregnant or a new mother... it's very helpful...