Profile for Miguel > Reviews

The French Revolution [DVD]
The French Revolution [DVD]
Offered by Not2day Media

2.0 out of 5 stars Can do better, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The French Revolution [DVD] (DVD)
I knew a reasonable amount about the French revolution before I bought this DVD. I got it in the hope that it would do two things: firstly, nail down the timeline of what went on, and, secondly, offer one or two factually supported hypotheses to explain the chain of events. I had also hoped that it might suggest why the Bolsheviks drew such close parallels between 1789 and 1917. It did the first but fell down badly on the other two despite having Alan Woods, a revolutionary socialist of long standing in the RSL, adding an occasional comment. I am sure he would have had a lot to say given the chance. Instead we got any number of unverifiable generalisations from predictable American academics. There was also a good deal of repetition, which suggested to me that it started out in life as a TV programme and was interleaved with commercials that have now been taken out. A big chance missed.

Hugo Chavez and the Bolivarian Revolution: And the Bolvarian Revolution in Venezuela
by Richard Gott

4.0 out of 5 stars Por ahora, 16 Sept. 2005
This is a very good book, which I would strongly recommend, though I do have some reservations about its, at times, uncritical stance. The chapter on the attempted coup in April 2003 is particularly good; tightly written and informative. The reference to Denis MacShane, for instance, was white knuckle stuff. The background material, particularly on Samuel Robinson and La Causa R and its founding father, Alfredo Maneiro, is often moving. He also throws in some good "colour", as journalists say, explaining, for instance, how the phrase "por ahoro" ("for now") became famous after Chavez used it in a brief televised speech in 1992 to tell his fellow conspirators to end their coup attempt. My reservations stem from his perfunctory attitude to critics and other who are not "on message". For instance, I would like to have known why Chavez supporters referred to in the book who switched allegiances did so, perhaps in a glossary at the end. (I would like to have know in some detail, for instance, what Luis Miquelena's politics are.) I would also like to have had an explanation of what he means by "ultra leftist". It seems to me that he takes a slightly cavalier attitude to Chavez's semi-detached view of party politics and how this squares with a commitment to democratic action. I must say at times Chavez reminded me of a left-wing Napoleon III.