Profile for A. Mackenzie > Reviews

Content by A. Mackenzie

A. Mackenzie (Southampton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Black Sands Remixed
Black Sands Remixed
Price: 8.82

4.0 out of 5 stars A long way from the original, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Black Sands Remixed (Audio CD)
This remix album is exactly what it says on the tin. I've enjoyed listening to it and it has taken back to Black Sands, which I haven't listened to in a while. I think the problem with these mixes is that the original album takes you on a sumptuous, coherant journey - too much of that is lost here. Make no mistake, there is good music here, but if you are not a fan of the remix concept, this isn't for you.

A cheeky little tip: if you purchase the CD from the record label (Ninja Tune), you pay 7, get an instant download and a free second Bonobo remixes CD with:
1. Nightlite (Zero dB Reconstruction) 7:26
8. Recurring (Mice Parade Remix) 4:10

Dance 4 Me
Dance 4 Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Dance Mixes, 4 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dance 4 Me (Audio CD)
This is a nice little release from Prince. It is exactly what is says on the tin: dance mixes. They all work well, and can be put on a loop when working or exercising. Sure back in the eighties Prince did extended mixes where they band jammed on the songs for 10 - 26 minutes. This is dance mixes, but genuine, not some contived attempt to be up to date. The mixes are getting decent play in UK clubs at the moment too.

Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story
Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 24 Aug 2011
A great book. We really enjoyed reading it to our children.

"A brilliant story, full of adventure and science. Different to other books as the whole world is frozen and the facts helped me easily picture the ice world. I wanted to carry on reading and not stop. I liked Ingar because she was always really wild and free and I liked Elya because she had loads of brilliant ideas." Lauren (age 11)

"It gets into the exciting bit very quickly. I liked Gabriel as he's mysterious. Hector and Ivor made it more exciting but they are just bullies. I can't wait for book 2." Sam (age 9)

Lead Us Not Into Temptation
Lead Us Not Into Temptation
Price: 10.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A great listen, 28 May 2010
I like David Byrne, but feel his solo albums have been hit and miss. Though largely instrumental this is excellent. You can listen to it seriously, or work to it. Well worth the purchase.

Bodyglove Turbo II Mask & Snorkel set
Bodyglove Turbo II Mask & Snorkel set

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 May 2010
This made my Indian Ocean / Red sea trip complete. Very comfortable and I saw lots of fishes, octopus, dugong and turtles - excellent.

Magix Movie Edit Pro 16 (PC)
Magix Movie Edit Pro 16 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, 28 May 2010
Does the job, I was a bit put out that you have to download and pay for an addition to export to MPEG file format - otherwise excellent value for money.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2011 11:48 AM BST

Here Lies Love (Deluxe Edition)
Here Lies Love (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 19.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Byrne hits gold again, 11 April 2010
This is a worthwhile listen. David Byrne's work is always interesting, but this is very listenable also. Although there is a different singer on each track, the album flows as a continuous piece of work, the mixture of beats and real instrumentation works well. The deluxe package is worth it only if you want the extras, the six videos are well cut & are a bit of a nostalgia trip. My only complaint is that I feel I paid too little for this immense package that clearly took a lot of work to produce.
Now Mr Byrne needs to release a DVD of his last tour and I'll be happy. He's got the footage, some of it appeared on a recent BBC programme about Brian Eno.

Food for the Masses: Portraits and Lyrics of Michael Franti
Food for the Masses: Portraits and Lyrics of Michael Franti
by Michael Franti
Price: 19.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book shame about the DVD, 8 Jan 2007
As a big Michael franti fan, I was bound to buy this book - his lyrics, as much as the music are major factors to me. It should be noted that lyrics cover his time in the Beatnits and Disposible Heroes up to the Everyone Desrves Music album. This disappointed me, as the current Yell Fire album is missed out, despite its release nearly 6 months befor this book.

The DVD has two live tracks (which I hadn't seen before)and the trailer for the 'I Know I'm Not Alone' movie. Why not the whole concert? Why not some music videos, even old ones?

In summary, a great book, but the DVD is poor.

Panic In Babylon
Panic In Babylon
Offered by shakedownrecords
Price: 4.97

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a great perry album, 24 Nov 2006
This review is from: Panic In Babylon (Audio CD)
I am blown away - this is a musically excellent and coherent album. The variety is stunning, yet album fits together without a weak track. Although the reggae/dub heritage is there, even those whom dislike reggae will find this a joyful experience. Sure the lyrics are eccentric, but there's an intelligence to them and I can't give you enough encouragement to Add to Shopping Basket. The newer edition has a three track bonus disk with remixes which is worthwhile, but the truly excellent music is here.

Panic in Babylon
Panic in Babylon
Offered by nagiry
Price: 7.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year (really!), 24 Nov 2006
This review is from: Panic in Babylon (Audio CD)
I go through spates of buying music looking for something new. Having some old Lee Perry albums, and liked but never really rated them. I tagged this on the end of an order on the basis of the George Clinton remix, but had low expectations. I am blown away - this is a musically excellent and coherent album. The variety is stunning, yet album fits together without a weak track. Although the reggae/dub heritage is there, even those whom dislike reggae will find this a joyful experience. Sure the lyrics are eccentric, but there's an intelligence to them and I can't give you enough encouragement to Add to Shopping Basket.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3