Profile for caroleglasson > Reviews

caroleglasson "thesoggygardener"

The Cupboard Under The Stairs
The Cupboard Under The Stairs

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite!, 3 Dec. 2011
This is my favourite book by this talented undiscovered author.
It's a classic - it should be on the A Level English Literature syllabus.There is so very much to this book - much more than my limited writing skills can explain.
Roger Knowles does what so many better known and best selling authors have failed to do. Yes he has created a vile and disgusting character that sends a real shiver down your spine. Yes he describes the surroundings so well that you will want to get out the disinfectant spray as you read. Unspeakable evil acts are committed...ones that evoke fear and revulsion. But there's more because the villain in this book is not a cardboard cut out bad guy. Between the lines we glimpse another side to him; a side that is not clear but one that gives us foggy view of how life and society may have made him this way.
So many thrillers have a standard criminal and it is in the personality of the detective on which the book rests and relies. This is the opposite as it is on the personality of the baddie that the book lies. So much is unspoken; the author has perfected the art of 'less is more'.
Again so many thrillers have clear endings - evil will not triumph and the end of the book will give a satisfactory conclusion where all loose ends are neatly tied. NOT SO this book...as readers we have not been spoon fed on our journey through the pages and we are not spoon fed at the end either. In many ways the end is really the beginning.
Mad or bad is the question that you ask yourself as you read. Normal or paranormal? And why Roger Knowles is so clever is that everyone's answer may well be different. I have my only very strong belief in the circumstances that have created this character and made him as he is - but am equally aware that others may have opposing and just as valid thoughts too.
I can't praise this masterpiece enough!!!!!!!!

Day Of Reckoning
Day Of Reckoning

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious Joy to Read, 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Day Of Reckoning (Kindle Edition)
I defy anyone to read Day of Reckoning and not feel better! Whatever your mood at the first page be prepared for it to be lifted in the subsequent ones. To say it is the prequel to A Naked Emperor does not do it justice - for it stands alone too - both books stand alone.

Day of Reckoning has a easy and flowing humour to it - it doesn't try too hard to make you laugh; maybe it doesn't actually try at all; it just IS funny. And comedy that comes across so naturally and effortlessly is ALWAYS the best kind. It is effortless to read and effortless to understand. It appears to have been written effortlessly too - although I suspect a book as good as this would actually have taken a great deal of hard work. The characters but are multi-faceted enough to evoke real sympathy and understanding and sometimes irritation. I don't know if everyone does know a Simon but certainly everyone should!

As with all of Roger Knowles' creations there is also a depth; a depth that does not interupt the humour but more enhances it. A book both enjoyable and fun to read with a subtle little thread of profound reflection lying beneath the surface.

I cannot praise it enough - just buy it you cannot possibly go wrong!!

The Association
The Association

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless read / important message, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Association (Kindle Edition)
Although written some time ago this is such a contemporary work. Think Orwell's "1984", think "Da Vinci Code", think conspiracy theories, think the Illuminati, think about how the world we take for granted really operates. This novel is all that and more. Roger Knowles tackles an important subject in an uncomplicated, readable, friendly style. I say friendly because Roger's characters do become our friends, he has an amazing talent in creating that emotional connection between the person on the page and the reader. Once again we are introduced to real personalities, good or bad, they are always credible, and the dialogue we don't just read, we hear in their accents. Ordinary people in extraordinary situations. It's an effortless read with an important message. Everyone should read this at least once! It's a biggie!

To Be A Man
To Be A Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly delicious..., 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: To Be A Man (Kindle Edition)
I'll always have a special place in my heart for Martin Rogers. He was the first of Roger Knowles characters I got to know, the first one I fell so completely in love with.

"At first I thought it was the alarm clock..." I was already hooked.

Other reviews have commented how the three Roger Knowles books are of such different genres. I agree - the first dramatic and chilling, the second deliciously comical, this one a love story. I don't usually read love stories. I find most to be artificial, many follow a traditional plot. But THIS love story isn't like that. Because although all three books are different, all three have real people at their core. Lisa, Martin, Julie, Andrew. Real people, not book people, people with layers, people with faults, people who make wrong decisions, people who act out of character from time to time, people who could be any of us if only circumstances had made it that way. And because of that huge talent Roger has, we don't just laugh and cry because of the words on the page, we laugh and cry because of the emotional investment we have made in the characters. It's like reading about people we have always known. And because of that a little bit of the book will always remain with us, like friends of long ago that we can revisit by re-reading. Martin....he is real.

This book is full of delicious sentences you say out loud - "All he wanted was to make Lisa happy, and instead he'd made her cry," - because you want those words to last a little longer. Just like you want to turn the page hurriedly, yet try so desperately to read slower to avoid reaching the end.

Whether deliberate or not all of Roger's books have a deeper message. So after reading this for the third or fourth time I find myself thinking - thinking about Martin, thinking about that bridge we all face from time to time, the bridge that we should have crossed, the same bridge we burned...

Magnificent!

The Naked Emperor
The Naked Emperor

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious read - and then some..., 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Naked Emperor (Kindle Edition)
The Naked Emperor is a hilarious read! It's funny, it's clever, it's real - we all know someone like the hero - and although an overused phrase, the book is truly difficult to put down. The author creates real people and so despite the extraordinary happenings of the story, it's believable. You will not just read the words, you will be a fly on the wall watching the events unfold before you. The self depreciating humour of the hero never grows stale, you will laugh through every page. Mr Knowles has the amazing ability to not just allow his readers to follow the text, but also to make them feel. As in all good writing, it has a deeper side and several touching moments when a tear will not be far from your eye. And as you reach the end you will begin to reflect on the wider message of the book - for amusing as it all is, the extraordinary happenings are maybe not that extraordinary at all?
Do check out the other works by this author. Broken Cats and Cowboy Hats is in a completely different genre, but has in common the fact it is `SUCH A BRILLIANT READ'.

Broken Cats & Cowboy Hats
Broken Cats & Cowboy Hats

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 17 May 2011
Although fast paced and exciting enough to please fans of crime/thriller novels, Broken Cats and Cowboy Hats is not your average plot driven crime novel. The characters, in particular Mark Doughty himself, have a depth to them that so often can be missing in contemporary literature. That depth arouses our sympathy, maybe even empathy, and certainly offers an explanation as to why Mark behaves as he does. It would be too easy to condemn Doughty, too easy to catagorise him as the criminal and Mr Knowle's writing does not take that easy option. Is Doughty the criminal, or is Mark the real victim? A question we could, maybe even should, be asking ourselves in today's society.

This novel makes you think and is certainly worthy of the 'page turner' label. However it is more. It makes you think certainly, but it also makes you feel something. And it is that feeling which will remain long after the last page has been turned.

I highly, highly recommend this work.