Profile for Lisa_Fagg > Reviews

Content by Lisa_Fagg

Lisa_Fagg "nirvana_books" (Cambridge, England)

Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit
Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit

3.0 out of 5 stars Really great seller but..., 26 May 2014
the item failed to engage the interest of my two kitties. What can I say - "Chaqu' un son goût"? (Or similar....)

Tootsie roll pops asst - 100
Tootsie roll pops asst - 100

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted !!!, 25 May 2014
A+++++'seller!!
I'm an ex-pat living in Britain and there is nothing better than being able to get Tootsie Pops from the 'Mother Ship'! Fantastically speedy service and exactly what I'd hoped for on my doorstep. I've ordered several times before with exactly the same results. Thank you very, very much!!! 😊👍😊👍👍😊

De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder
De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder

5.0 out of 5 stars Espresso lovers: A critical omission in the instructions; a hack-free fix, 6 May 2012
We bought this grinder to complement our De'Longhi Icona Espresso Machine. I unpacked the machine (it's a beauty!), washed up the removable parts in warm, soapy water and switched on the coffee maker. As I have never owned a burr grinder before, I sat down and thoroughly read the little instruction leaflet. The instructions were brief and, as I was to find out, incomplete in the extreme.

I measured out the coffee beans and, contrary to the instructions, I set the ground coffee coursness to midway between medium and fine. I selected the number of cups and started the grinder. I was surprised at the high, whiney sound it made - it didn't sound as though it was grinding the coffee; it sounded like it was beating it to death. When it was finished, I opened the bean hopper to discover that a substantial proportion of the beans were still whole and in the hopper. I looked at the ground coffee in the ground coffee container and was disappointed to see that the ground coffee was so course and irregular as to suggest that my unit was faulty. I went over the instructions again and measured out some more coffee and tried it again. Same result!

I checked the Amazon reviews because I remembered reading of a 'hack' that would sort the problem out. I got a screwdriver and an empty milk carton from the recycling bin and, reluctantly, prepared to hack my new coffee grinder. That's when I discovered that the upper burr was not engaged properly! Holy moley - no wonder the thing didn't work! I looked at the instructions again and now read the section on 'maintenance'. So here is how you set up your coffee grinder for first use:

- Remove the lid of the coffee bean hopper.
- Set the courseness selector dial (Fig. 5) to the fine position then take hold of the top of the burr of the upper mill with your fingers and turn clockwise then pull vertically to remove. (I didn't have to do this - the burr came away without turning!)
- to replace the upper burr, set the courseness selector dial (Fig. 5) to the coarse position, insert the burr and turn it once counter-clockwise.

The burr is now engaged and your coffee grinder is now ready for use.

I can't believe how wonderfully fine the grinder made my coffee beans. The sound of the grinder is a reassuring low growl and the cup of espresso I subsequently made was out of this world!
A fantastic machine!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 8:32 AM GMT

Vapur .5L Anti-Bottle - Cyan Blue
Vapur .5L Anti-Bottle - Cyan Blue
Offered by L-Goods-Plus

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word..., 9 Jan 2012
I got mine in the gift shop at MOMA on a visit to New York City. This could have been a ONE word review - 'Perfect!'

Hinari MB280 The Genie Multi-Attachment Blender
Hinari MB280 The Genie Multi-Attachment Blender

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a 'must have' bit of kitchen kit!!, 12 Sep 2010
I have been looking for a blender/grinder exactly like this for years! Until now, none seemed to have everything I wanted. This one does - and a lot more! I mainly use it for blending and grinding and it is excellent at this. With it I can make mayonnaise and 'creamy' salad dressings in less than a minute (there goes the hand blender!); grind up huge amounts of spices (there goes the coffee/spice grinder!) and whip up soups and purees in a flash. Smoothies (with ice, no less) - no problem.

A caveat, though: What it *isn't* is multi-speed; what it *doesn't* do is chop finely. For that you'll need to hang on to your food processor. This is a blender, a puree machine, a grinder. This machine has a powerful little motor and a teensy-weensy footprint; it sits on my countertop, out of the way - until I need it. Easy (really easy) to wash up and it even goes in the dishwasher without a fuss.

Be warned, though - it comes with a LOT of extras - it's a 17-piece set. You'll probably only need 7 or 8 of those pieces. I haven't bothered to try out the juicer and I can tell by the power of the motor that it won't chop anything... it'll macerate it. The rest of the bits can go in the loft. If you're alright with this, the remaining really useful pieces (blender and grinding blades; blender jug; 2 smaller blending/grinding jugs; lid and measuring cap) are more than worth the price of the set.

[...] for a super blender -that's what I call a bargain! Get yourself one.

Canyon Prestige Waterproof Single Pannier QR System Black/Silver
Canyon Prestige Waterproof Single Pannier QR System Black/Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars At last - a great pannier at a very good price!, 26 Jun 2010
I live in Cambridge and I don't own a car so I'm on a bicycle everyday; commuting, shopping and exercising. I've owned more pairs of panniers than I care to remember, none of them cheap and none of them perfect. This pannier is nearly perfect - and the price is incredibly good.

Appearance: This pannier boasts simple, 'unfussy' lines and looks very similar to waterproof bags costing twice as much.

Capacity: This is one capacious bag - It holds an enormous amount of 'stuff'. Although it has a roll top closure, well-placed straps that don't dangle mean it can be ridden without being closed. This nearly doubles the volume and allows one to carry awkward items - like flowers! Off the bike it can be worn as a shoulder 'shopper' using the removable strap provided.

Wear and tear: This bag is extremely robust - I've been using this it daily for over 6 months and see no signs of wear.

Other things: The bag has reflective tape at the rear and is absolutely waterproof. It uses simple, robust clips to attach to the pannier rack and combined with a clip at the bottom of the bag, these hold the bag securely to the bike.

I've rated these panniers '4-star'. The bag gets very stiff in cold weather making it hard to roll up. It also could use an inner pocket or something similar for small items like keys or a wallet. This omissions do not mean that I like the bag any less, however. This is a great bag!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2011 10:41 PM GMT

Birkenstock Adult's Birkenstock Arizona
Birkenstock Adult's Birkenstock Arizona

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Feet, 27 Jun 2008
I've been wearing Birkenstock Arizona sandals, off and on, since 1990. As a transplanted New Yorker living in Britain, I've had a really hard time finding comfortable shoes. Until recently, Birkenstocks could only be found in specialist shops and were very expensive. But I've bought them, nevertheless because I just love them! For the last several weeks my feet have been aching and uncomfortable. Early in the day, especially, the pain spreads up my inner ankle and makes walking (and even balancing!) uncomfortable. I have low arches and normally wear an orthopedic device in my shoes. Last week I decided to get some new Birks, reasoning that the support in 3-year-old Birks is just not as rigid as in brand new ones. Was I ever right! I put these new ones on immediately - however, it took me over an hour to realise that my foot and leg pain had totally vanished! I am amazed (and thrilled!) - so much so that I have just ordered another pair for myself (in another colour!) and a pair for my husband. I am so very happy with my purchase - and the Amazon price for the basic shoe (Arizona, DK Brown leather) is very good, indeed!

Saturday
Saturday
by Ian McEwan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Day in the Life, 12 Feb 2006
This review is from: Saturday (Paperback)
This is a superb book!
'Saturday' is overflowing with ideas about mortality, morality, motivation, imagination, empathy and compassion - each a difficult subject in its own right. On the surface it is a book about one man's struggle with his own humanity as he explores his physical, emotional and intellectual limits.
On the other hand, it is a book about two men - Henry, whose life is driven by his interests and loves. Baxter is living a life that is increasingly driven by his instincts and emotions and who is a victim of a neurodegenerative disorder that is separating him from his humanity. Baxter is angry and wants answers - in the form of a cure - and Henry, for his own reasons, wants to provide those answers. Their chance meeting changes their lives for ever.
Somehow, McEwan manages to get all of these ideas across and to do it within the confines of a single Saturday! Well done!
I feel enriched and revived for having read the book.
It struck me that, without an understanding of (or at least a keen interest in) what motivates people to do the things they do it would be difficult to get into this book. I was disappointed to read some of the less favourable reviews. This book has a tremendous amout to offer to lovers of the multi-layered, richly imagined modern novel.