Profile for Derrick Johnson > Reviews

Content by Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
by Patrick Bishop
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An adequate read, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Follow Me Home (Hardcover)
Having never read a book, a la Andy Mcnab (see
Bravo Two Zero I didn't really know what to expect, but I was pleasently surprised. There was enough tension and drama to warrant me reading this novel in a couple of sittings, which is also a reflection of the writing of Patrick Bishop. I doubt that I'll make this genre a regular main frame of my reading diet, this introduction was a worthy start.

Life Season 1 [DVD]
Life Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 9.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Story Well Told, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Life Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
When it comes to the who-done-it detective/police crime TV format, most new series are a rehash of what has gone before. Usually the things that make a new show stand apart, aside from great writing, and fine actors, are any subtle quirks of the main protaingonists, or characters that we feel empathy with. This series has both, and is a very welcome addition to the genre.

I discovered this series late one night on the FX channel, and was drawn to the main character Charlie crews, who, as a cop, is newly realized from Prison for a crime he didn't commit. Back on the force, as a detective, he aims to find out who framed him and why. Also his time in prison, especially solitary, has given him a Zen like approach to life, which he struggles to align with his need for revenge, and love of the material wealth at his disposal.

I think that, for me, there are a few reasons this series works. Firstly the assembled cast are superb. There is great chemistry between Rees and Crews, and you can see this grow as the series develops. Secondly the writers do a great job delivering believable characters that we can love, hate, despise etc, with great story lines to boot. I was so engrossed I quickly went out and purchased this Box-set. Lastly, for me anyway, I am drawn to characters that live in the real world, and have to deal with the real hurts and pains of everyday life, and are some what broken themselves. That may say something about me!
All-in-all a great series. Roll-on season 2.

AmazonBasics Camera Case for Digital Cameras / Point & Shoot - Black Neoprene
AmazonBasics Camera Case for Digital Cameras / Point & Shoot - Black Neoprene
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, 17 Mar 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This camera case dooes the job of protecting my camera from dirt, scratches, and harm, and at a very cheap price. Leather based and easy to use.

The Grove
The Grove
by John Rector

2.0 out of 5 stars A Hard Read, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Grove (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The initial premise of this novel was quite intriguing. Dexter McCray, an alcoholic ex-con, who is suffering from the death of a loved one, and the possible collapse of his marriage, discovers a body in the grove, bordering his cornfield. Unable to remember the events of the night, before, and too scared to inform the authorities, he undertakes to investigate the crime himself.
I found this novel very slow, and hard to pick up. I kept going, as I believed (wrongly) that the pace, and the intrigue would pick up, but sadly this never happened. The one joy of this novel was, that at only 255 pages, it wasn't to long a read. Towards the end, the so- called climax does pick up, but all to late to save the story.

BLACKSummer'snight
BLACKSummer'snight
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Has it's Moments, 25 Aug 2009
This review is from: BLACKSummer'snight (Audio CD)
It's great to see & hear that Maxwell is back with a new project. He has been greatly missed. First the positives: of this CD. It good to hear that he hasn't followed what now passes as R&B/Soul in this musical sphere, as if this project was recorded in isolation. Also I like the fact that there aren't numerous guest appearances, or too many songs on offer. It's nine songs under 40 minutes, so it's lean & mean. What of the songs themselves. Unfortunately, to my ears, there is too much of sameness on offer here. Whilst nothing is truly awful, there are only three tunes to my ears that stand out. The Opening track 'Bad Habits' is a gorgeous track, reminiscence of his first CD, and is a pleading track seeking forgiveness. The following track `Cold' whilst not as striking as it's predecessor, grows on you the more you listen to it. Lastly the quiet stormish, acoustic driven `Playing Possum' is simply beautiful.I almost forgot the last track on offer here, `Phoenix Rise', which is a great driven funky instrumental.

2.5 out of five

Black President
Black President
by Rick Schmidt
Price: 9.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Black President (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Intrigued by the title, and the fact that we now have a Black President, I ordered this novel expecting a thriller of Political sorts. I couldn't get past the opening chapters, which relate to the birth of a mixed race boy, whose father was the president of the United States. There was nothing gripping in the characters mentioned, or the story line that made reading on a necessity.

The Samaritan's Secret: An Omar Yussef Novel 03 (Omar Yussef Mystery 3)
The Samaritan's Secret: An Omar Yussef Novel 03 (Omar Yussef Mystery 3)
by Matt Rees

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Slow, 27 July 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To my mind this is a very slow novel, that I gave up with after a couple of chapters. Maybe the reader would have been rewarded by staying with it, but I'll never know

Live It Out
Live It Out
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but nothing out of the ordinary., 27 July 2009
This review is from: Live It Out (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Alain Clark album is a so-so offering that whilst pleasent and inoffensive, doesn't offer anything new to the market place. There is a traditional R&B feel to much of the songs on offer, with vocals that are earthy and raw. The one stand out track for me is the duet with his father. I'm not sure if this is his debut offering, but I do hope that Warner Brothers keep faith with him.

Suffer the Children
Suffer the Children
by Adam Creed
Price: 7.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Suffer the Children (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I gave up reading this not long after I started. Whilst the subject matter caught my interest enough to order this novel, the writing on display wasn't good enough to sustain it.

Feels Good to Feel Good
Feels Good to Feel Good

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic., 29 Jun 2009
This review is from: Feels Good to Feel Good (Audio CD)
This, Garry Glenn's sophomore LP, released in 1987, is an example that proves the point that classic music can sound as fresh & vibrant as the day it was released. Primarily known as a song writer (he penned Caught in the Rapture, for Anita Baker) and having penned all of the songs on offer here (some in tandem with Dianne Quander). His first solo joint GG released on an independent label, created a little noise, and his vocals can also be heard on two tracks from the Pieces Of a Dream LP Joyride
Having signed to Motown records, this was his one and only release for this famous company. For me, the reason why, after twenty-two years, this doesn't sound dated, is the quality of the song writing on display. Love, in all its guises, is the dominant subject matter, as in the quiet storm 'Do You Have to go, Lonely Night, and the title track, which is a duet between Garry & Sheila Hutchinson of the Emotions. Two of my favorites tracks are the mid tempo offering Running Away, and the up tempo Can't Get Enough Of Love, but to be honest of the ten songs on display, it's only the last, 'Loves makes It Right', which doesn't move me.
Garry passed away from (I think) kidney related problems in the mid 90s, but he left behind some quality songs, especially on this release. Quality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13