Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Dvd ~ Karen Meagher
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***
Price: 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 23 Aug 2004
This review is from: Threads [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
I first watched this film when I was about eleven and it really did terrify me. My father had it in his collection of videos, and it sounded like an interesting film, so I sat down and got about half way through it. It then took me another three or four years to get up the courage to watch the rest of it. This film is not scary; scary is things that go bump in the night, and chainsaw wielding maniacs. This film is terrifying. There really is no way to get across the fear that seeing it instilled in me. I am now fifteen, and can still remember every little detail of the film, and will probably be able to remember it when I am fifty. This film shows the final no-hope situation. It is absolutely unflinching in its depiction of the effects of nuclear war, and the bleak BBC documentary style makes it even more terrible. Saying that watching this film will show you how terrible the subject of nuclear war is is like shooting someone to show them the dangers of guns.
If you want to be scarred for life, but come out knowing that no matter how bad your life, it could get worse, then watch this film. If you want to see the horrors of nuclear war, but don't want to be scared out of your wits, then watch "The Wargame", a disturbing film, but it shows some sense of trying to piece things back together. If you don't want to see the horrors of nuclear war, but do want to be scared out of your wits, try and get hold of a copy of "The Woman in Black". Just read some of the reviews on Amazon to see what I mean.