Profile for Jean > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Year of Marvellous Ways
A Year of Marvellous Ways

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast of words, 29 Mar. 2016
This is the most beautiful story, written in truly magical language. It is a modern day fairy tale which will stay with me always, I think I am already dreaming Marvellous's dreams. Haunting, wondrous, amazing. If you just read one book this year, make it this one.

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District
The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful read., 5 May 2015
I grew up in the 50s and 60s in The Lake District and still feel it is my home. This evocative, beautifully written book shows a totally unsentimental aspect of life but is equally full of poetic imagery. James Rebanks is a remarkable man who has stayed close to his roots despite his sojourn into the world of Academia. I absolutely loved it and am full of admiration for the author who has chosen the sharp end of farming with love and good humour. I can't wait for his next book!

The Invention of Wings
The Invention of Wings

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story., 28 April 2015
The story was put forward at a new book group I have joined and I have to say I began it through duty as the "set book" and would not have chosen it myself, although I had read some very good reviews. It is quite disturbing but the courage of the characters and their strange sisterhood shines through. I was utterly transported to their era and fought their battles with them every step of the way. A magnificent tale of courage and faith fighting injustice. What makes the book utterly remarkable is the fact that the Grimke` sisters were real women and this is their real life story. So sad I have finished it but it will stay with me.

The Butterfly Box
The Butterfly Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely book from Santa Montefiore, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Butterfly Box (Kindle Edition)
It took a little while to get into the story but eventually I couldn't put it down. The names of the characters are strange but I felt I got to know everyone and really wanted to discover their fate. It is a love story on many different levels and in places, it is very sad. However everyone gets the future they deserve. Another satisfying read from Santa.

Listen to the Moon
Listen to the Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful story., 23 Dec. 2014
I am a huge fan of Michael Morpurgo but I think this has to be my favourite. It is just beautiful from beginning to end. The story is quite credible as it is so well researched. I feel richer for having met Lucy Lost and her wonderful Scilly Isles family. So sad to have finished!

Last Voyage of the Valentina
Last Voyage of the Valentina

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this enchanting story, 21 Nov. 2014
I really like Santa Montefiore's books. This did not disappoint, I could not put it down. Though the outcome is no surprise, I loved peeling back the layers of the story. What's not to like about a beautiful girl, a country house and Amalfi?

The Beach Cafe
The Beach Cafe

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, a sweet story., 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Beach Cafe (Kindle Edition)
Lovely light read, a bit unbelievable in parts....who would harbour a runaway teenager without contacting the authorities? But none the less a sweet, light story.

WoodLuv Medium Seagrass Storage Trunk Linen Laundry Storage Basket, Natural
WoodLuv Medium Seagrass Storage Trunk Linen Laundry Storage Basket, Natural
Offered by SelectiveGoods

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend., 23 Oct. 2014
I am delighted with my purchase of three of these. They are to provide storage for resources at our Children's Church. They are commodious and attractive as well as being quite sturdy. Delivery was efficient and packaging excellent. Highly recommend.

The One Plus One
The One Plus One

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in ages!, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The One Plus One (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful book, beautifully written. A real tear jerker with lots of happy, funny bits. I fell in love with Jess and her quirky family and mad dog. I could not put it down, just brilliant

The J.M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society
The J.M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwarming story of friendship and relationships., 12 Aug. 2014
Some of the other reviewers found the book shallow.....I loved it. A warm, cuddly story. The JM Barrie connection adds interest. I felt drawn to the characters and enjoyed watching Joey and Sarah rekindle their friendship and each discovering their own foibles as well as one another's. Just lovely and well written.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4