Profile for Stephen Evans > Reviews

Content by Stephen Evans

Stephen Evans (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
1.2m New Replacement Audio Upgrade Cable for AKG K450 K451 K452 K480 Q460 Headphones
Offered by Future Win

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected benefit from replacing a cable, 9 Jun. 2016
The cable that came with the original AKG K451 headphones developed a fault, probably as s result of inadvertently tugging on it. I bought this particular make because some of the reviews said it would improve the quality of the sound. I didn't think thaI a cable could make much difference, but I am pleasantly surprised at how much better the music sounds. I am now hearing notes and instruments that were not noticeable before. So the extra cost of this cable was worth it for me (but possibly the other cables on offer at lower prices would also have shown an improvement in sound quality).

Rexel Optima 40 Low Force Stapler 70mm Throat Depth Silver/Black (40 Sheet Staple Capacity)

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable to use, 2 May 2016
Feels comfortable to use, and I assume it has been ergonomically designed. Thick sheaves of paper are no longer difficult to staple.

Latest 2016 version Foldawheel PW-999UL (Now with Extendable Footrest, Version 3 joystick controller, motor with more power). At only 45 lbs (with high capacity Polymer Li-ion Battery), is the Lightest & Most Compact power chair in the World. This Motorized Foldable Electric Powered Wheelchair can stand by itself after folded (solely by Wheelchair88)
Offered by Wheelchair88UK
Price: £1,788.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever design turns heads, 2 May 2016
I purchased a Foldawheel PW-999UL over a month ago, and I am very pleased with it. The build quality looks good, and it has a very clever design, especially the folding process, which takes only a few seconds, once you have got the knack. Once folded, it has fitted readily into all car boots so far, and has not been a struggle for drivers to lift. I can just lift it off the floor, but wouldn't attempt to put it in the boot on my own because of my disability.
Getting in and out of the front door of our house, which has no ramp, is a bit of a clumsy operation, but doable, preferably by two people.
We had requested a second battery to extend the range and hopefully the battery life. When we opened the box, we couldn't find the second battery. Then we realised that we couldn't see the first battery either, although the wheelchair started ok! Then we realised that the batteries are neatly housed in the two box-shaped side struts.
I have used the wheelchair many times indoors, and for about a dozen trips outdoors.
Indoors the wheelchair is almost whisper-quiet and very smooth to accelerate and steer (our granddaughter surreptitiously learnt the technique just by observing me). It has proved very comfortable, and I have started to use it as my chair for watching tv.
Outdoors, steering takes a bit more practice if, like me, you haven't previously used a joystick to control a separate motor on each back wheel. On dry ground with smooth and well-made paving or tarmac, it is as easy to use as indoors, although you have to concentrate hard if you are moving sideways across a steep slope. But on footpaths with potholes or rough patches, uneven parts, substantial cambers or in the wet, the wheelchair can resemble a bucking bronco or wayward shopping trolley at tImes. I imagine this is true of any wheelchair with separate motors on each back wheel.
The wheelchair is not intended to be used in rain, but I got caught in quite heavy rain on one occasion and it became much more difficult to steer over terrain that previously had been relatively straightforward. Incidentally, I think that my new poncho would keep most of the wheelchair dry should I be caught in the rain again.
The customer service staff were very helpful prior to my purchase, and have continued to be so. The user manual is not bad but has a few passages where the use of English is rather quaint, albeit just about comprehensible.
One relatively minor point is that there is no key to the controls, so it is not easy to disable the wheelchair should you wish to do so. Having no key means having no problems with losing the key, but it does make securely parking the chair difficult.
Overall, a very well-made and cleverly designed wheelchair that gets heads turning from passers-by when I go out in it.

Bananagrams Game
Bananagrams Game
Offered by Appods

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and fun, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bananagrams Game (Toy)
A fast-paced, "traditional" sort of game that people can readily pick up, without having to study rules at length. We played it a couple of times at Christmas with adults who had not seen it before, and everyone found it enjoyable. The playing pieces (letters of the alphabet) are sturdily made and a pleasure to play with.

Berghaus Twentyfourseven Backpack - Red/Chilli Pepper, 20 lt
Berghaus Twentyfourseven Backpack - Red/Chilli Pepper, 20 lt

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 8 Jan. 2014
Well designed and manufactured, this is a good rucksack for carrying things you need for a day trip. It's a convenient size for that use. It seems sturdy, although I haven't had it long enough to put that to the test.

The Big Questions The Universe
The Big Questions The Universe

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and interesting, 8 Jan. 2014
I would recommend this book to any lay reader who wants a succinct introduction to the current issues in cosmology. It is well written and clearly explained, without sacrificing scientific accuracy. The author knows his stuff and how to put it across in an exciting way. I found new insights from reading it that hadn't struck me from other popular accounts I have read in the past.

The Big Questions: Evolution (Big Qestions)
The Big Questions: Evolution (Big Qestions)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 3 Jan. 2014
This book starts well for the lay reader, but at one point uses terms and symbols that have not been introduced and are offputting. The book doesn't quite live up to its title, but is nevertheless worth reading.

Bosch ALB 18 LI Cordless Leaf Blower
Bosch ALB 18 LI Cordless Leaf Blower
Offered by Ideabright Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and not powerful, 3 Jan. 2014
Well designed and manufactured, light so easily held and moved around, quiet but not powerful enough to lift wet leaves.

Pointless Board Game
Pointless Board Game
Offered by Gadget Grotto

4.0 out of 5 stars Good questions, complicated rules, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pointless Board Game (Toy)
The questions are pitched just about right, not too easy nor too hard. The rules are difficult to absorb unless you play it regularly, so possibly not the best game to bring out unless you have had a practice go. Generally well made, but the masks for the answers don't look likely to last well.

Petzl Tikkina 2
Petzl Tikkina 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Petzl Tikkina 2 (Electronics)
This head-torch is a delight to own because it is so well made. If only all products were so well designed and manufactured! After about six months of use I can find only one shortcoming in it: the labelling of the positive and negative terminals in the battery compartment is hard to see.

Page: 1 | 2