Profile for Rosebud13 > Reviews

Didgeridoos and Didgeridon'ts: A Brit's Guide to Moving Your Life Down Under
by Vicky Gray
Price: 10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A real guide to life Down Under, 25 Jan 2012
I don't usually write reviews but I felt this book really deserved one. My fiancé and I are considering a move to Oz and I brought this book in the hope of gaining more of an insight into the country. This book is not going to help you with your visa application. Nor will it tell you where to live or give you a guide to the housing market. What it will do is give you personal insights and useful information about a life in Oz. I'm talking about the information that you gain from first hand experiences, which aren't given or shown on the TV shows or in other books on Australia. For example, my partner has a real fear that we will be besieged by spiders and other unwanted creepy crawlies if we emigrate. The author spent a chapter talking about her real life experiences with the critters and put some myths to rest (which put my partner's mind to rest (a little!))
The vocabularies are really useful to see what things are called out there and despite what other reviews have said, there is practical information with road rules and car insurance etc. I also found the personal accounts at the end really helpful because they addressed some concerns I had in considering the move.
The one (and only) negative is that some of the technical information on grants is out of date since the book was published in 2009 but you shouldn't be buying the book for that reason anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

A really useful, friendly and helpful book that I will definitely be taking with me when I visit Australia next year.