Profile for Miranda B > Reviews

Mad Girl
Mad Girl
by Bryony Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars A real story about a very real illness, 13 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Mad Girl (Hardcover)
Uproariously funny and yet so real. This is a real story about a very real illness. Bryony has suffered from mental illness since she was 12. She recounts her struggles with such bravery and honesty - so admirably. And there is no question that this book will help others and she says thats why she wrote it. I have been such a fan of her work for years.... This book is a must read..... I couldn't put it down. Huge well done Bryony.

Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
by Max Pemberton

5.0 out of 5 stars All medical students should read this book !, 26 May 2016
A friend of mine gave me a copy of this book not too long ago as she has just qualified as a junior doctor - and she thought I'd be interested to know what it will be like for her in the next few months as she starts life - as Max Pemberton did - in a hospital. I was fascinated by this book - and will be full of gratitude and sympathy if I ever have to be admitted to hospital. I considered doing mental health nursing and realised from Max's descriptions that the grueling hours and overtime just wouldn't be right for me.

Billy Elliot The Musical Live [DVD] [2014]
Billy Elliot The Musical Live [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Elliott Hanna

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the film!, 31 Mar. 2016
I have seen this show several times in London's West End and it is one of the most enjoyable pieces of theatre / performance I have ever seen - and I say that as a regular theatre goer ! Full of soaring highs and crashing lows.... it is an emotional roller-coaster but also very funny. This DVD is a great memento. Even better that the film! Extraordinary talent and energy.

Codependency - "Loves Me, Loves Me Not": Learn How To Cultivate Healthy Relationships, Overcome Relationship Jealousy, Stop Controlling Others and Be Codependent No More
by Simeon Lindstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Mar. 2016
I am disappointed by this book - it is very short and does not have much depth to it... The text is big and it feels like a poor essay rather than a well researched / carefully thought out book. I expected much more for my money. Am sure there is better literature out there.

The Night Manager (TV tie-in) (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Night Manager (TV tie-in) (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John le Carré

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner...., 8 Mar. 2016
Gripping, clever and a real page turner - my favourite fictional book of the year so far.

A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled
A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled
by Ruby Wax

5.0 out of 5 stars As brilliant as her last book!, 11 Jan. 2016
Firstly - If you haven't read Sane New World by Ruby Wax then you MUST (but you don’t need to have read it to enjoy this book...).

This review does not say Verified Purchase as I was given it as a present and read it instantly.

A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled is yet another hilarious, well written and thought provoking read by Ruby Wax.

The word Mindfulness is everywhere at the moment - and Ruby explains exactly what it means, how to do it and why it’s so important to live "in the moment". The book includes a six week mindfulness course, which has been put together with the help of her Oxford university tutor, Professor Mark Williams - this includes mindful thinking, mindful movement, mindful eating. I'm guilty at not eating mindfully - unwrapping a chocolate bar and practically swallowing it hole without even looking at it let alone really tasting it.

You can tell she has really done her research and credit must also go to Joanna Bowen, the editor, who also edited Sane New World. The book is laced with humour and Ruby's own experiences - she is brilliant at making the complex subject of the brain easier to understand. There is something for everyone in this book - parents / teenagers / teachers.... and even if you aren't one of those (I'm not), it is one of those books I will go back to again and again as it’s such a good manual for mindful and healthier living.

It’s no wonder she has earned herself an OBE.

Walking on Sunshine: 52 Small Steps to Happiness
Walking on Sunshine: 52 Small Steps to Happiness
by Rachel Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear / Concise / Heart felt. Just brilliant., 20 Nov. 2015
This review does not say "verified purchase" as I received it as a present. I absolutely adore this book. It is small enough to fit into your hand bag and divided into logical chapters which aren't too long - so you can pick any step / exercise to help you in the heat of a stressful moment. It's well written / clear / concise / VERY well researched. These are manageable steps that are easy to follow - written from the heart from someone who knows all too well how debilitating mental illness and unhappiness can be. This book is sure to help you. The mental health world is a better place with Rachel Kelly in it ! ***I highly recommend Rachel's first book Black Rainbow too.

Girl Talk In The Pink
Girl Talk In The Pink
by Kathy Lette

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Wonderful ! The perfect girls guide !, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Girl Talk In The Pink (Paperback)
A fun and wonderful book from Kathy - going to give it to all my girlfriends for Christmas ! I also highly recommend her book Courting Trouble.

Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food
Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Nigella: Simply the Best, 8 Oct. 2015
Simply Nigella landed on my door mat 24 hours before its release and I spent the entire evening leafing through its glorious pages not quite knowing where to start. Every recipe is accompanied by the most beautiful photography. This isn't just another cook book with recipes that we have seen before. You can tell that this book has been created with the same love and hard work that her other books also ooze. The recipes are unfussy / not complicated and don't contain ingredients that seem expensive or impossible to source - i.e. they are achievable, delicious and the end result won't disappoint. As someone who has had a wobbly relationship with food - I admire Nigella's approach and we have so much to learn from her. The book is divided into logical chapters and the recipes are easy to follow...

Bravo to Nigella and I can hardly wait to use it properly - Nutella Brownies are at the top of my list !

An Memoir of Love and Madness: Living with Bipolar Disorder
An Memoir of Love and Madness: Living with Bipolar Disorder
by Rahla Xenopoulos

5.0 out of 5 stars A heroic tale, 4 Aug. 2015
I adore Rahla and I adored this book...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4