Profile for Blu-ray fan > Reviews

A RAINBOW WORLD CUP: Documentary on tournament in South Africa 2010
Dvd ~ Rodney Archer
Offered by Ian Cesay

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Jun. 2016
I'm a huge footie fan and have attended several World Cups, including the actual final in Madrid in 1982 between Italy and West Germany.I have DVD's, VHS tapes and Blurays covering all World Cups, Euro Championships, UEFA/ European Cups/ Champions Leagues series, documentaries and many many more and I am always on the lookout to add to my collection.
I've had this DVD in my cart for ages but did not buy it previously as the 2010 World Cup didn't grab my interest like other tournaments did, even tho all the positive comments for this DVD caught my attention..... I finally purchased this when I needed to add something inexpensive to get the free Amz shipping...
Anyway, I don't know the full backround to this documentary. It contains endless interviews and thoughts from fans attending the 2010 World Cup. In between, there are low quality snippets of South Africa itself- the countryside passing by taken from a moving vehicle and various towns and cities. One thing missing, and may have made this a little better, would have been some kind of commentary from the makers instead of silence or the same weird backround music.
I'm guessing the filmmaker made this to help fund his trip to the World Cup. I found the whole thing rather boring to be honest and although I wanted a behind the scenes view of this World Cup- this felt very amateurish and poorly done. It seems like 90% of the documentary consists of fans simply stating how wonderful and safe a place South Africa is. I'm sure it was- during the actual games...
Even for a fiver I'm struggling to recommend this DVD even though others have rated it so highly. As previously mentioned, a running commentary would have made this a much better viewing experience.
I'm happy to have this as an add on to my other 2010 World Cup films as a collector, but it's on the shelf now and I think it will be a very, very long time before it's ever watched again.

Panasonic TX-48CX400B 4K UHD 48 inch TV
Panasonic TX-48CX400B 4K UHD 48 inch TV

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag of good and not so good...., 23 Jan. 2016
Picked up this 40" 4K tv Oct '15 when I needed a tv for the spare room. It was not much more than a 1080p tv at the time and I thought, why not? I've owned about 8 or 9 different HD tv's now over the years, 720p to 1080p and different technologies from rear projection, LCD to DLP, and this is my first 4K set.

My initial impressions...
The Good...
-TV physically looks nice. Chassis and bezel all classy looking and far better than the competition at this price point, as mentioned Oct 2015. Very black screen when off and super slim bezel. The feet are quite large but it supports the tv no problems, and the tv is not too heavy at all as someone else incorrectly stated.
-4K demos over the internet look fantastic- a clear step up from 1080p and even on a small 40" screen the difference is clear, sharper and much deeper and more saturated colors. Black levels also very, very deep on this tv.
-Games especially on a Playstation 3 look excellent. Make sure you go into Display settings, under (RGB) Full Range HDMI and choose "Full" for best picture quality. Also, you must engage "Game" picture setting in the actual TV's menu otherwise the lag is unbearable.
-Broadcast HDTV such as BBC HD look great, especially live sports- wow! (except movies* see below).
-Decent sound quality for a flat panel tv.

The Bad...
-Some movies on HDTV channels have a weird soapy, smeary, waxy type look to them- almost unwatchable. Several others have mentioned this so unless there is some hidden setting in the tv menus to correct this, this could be a prob for many. Digital animated movies suffer less, such as Kung Fu Panda on BBC HD.
-Did not get a chance to try out Blurays or DVDs but I'm guessing, hoping, they would not suffer the same smearing effect as broadcast movies.
-Smart TV....seems pretty basic and the wifi performance is poor. If you want internet on this tv you'll probably need to connect it via a cable. I have decent internet speed and couldn't even do a basic software upgrade on the tv via wifi. Forget about 4K over wifi.
***A workaround for poor internet reception ov tv and inability to view 4K content smoothly via tv's YouTube was to use the YouTube app built into the Playstation3. Doing so I experienced zero problems.

So, it's a mixed bag. I can live with this tv as it's only a small 40" for the spare room which does not get used very often. Most HDTV broadcasts look great- except for film based movies which have an awful smearing, waxy look. Gaming is fine once you engage "game" picture preset and the little 4K material I have seen on this is jaw dropping!

Do I recommend this? Possibly, depends if the smearing, waxy effect is visible on blurays or upcoming Ultra 4K blurays discs. If it is not an issue, then yes, I would deffo recommend this as an entry level 4K tv if you can find one at a low price.

Sony FDA-EV1S Electronic Viewfinder for NEX
Sony FDA-EV1S Electronic Viewfinder for NEX

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, fragile, but glad I got it on sale!, 20 Jan. 2016
Picked this up on Amazon US site back in Oct for approx. US $131 so a no brainer really!! Agree with all the positive comments on here but No.1 negative is, yes, it's very fragile, and you need to be damn careful with it. No way would I be attaching and removing and attaching it all day long, zzzz, but once camera is around your neck and you tilt the viewfinder up 90 degrees I personally feel safe enough with it staying attached to the body. My nose still bumps up against the rear touchscreen tho when using the viewfinder, which unfortunately results in the screen getting dirty. Another small nitpick is I wish it were all black like my NEX-5R.
Much easier to capture excellent photos using this rather than relying on the screen.
One lesson this viewfinder has thought me is to make sure my next camera has a built in viewfinder.
Now I just need to find a better lens than the mediocre 16-50mm kit lens that came with my NEX-5R.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Official Strategy Guide (Collector's Edition)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate Official Strategy Guide (Collector's Edition)
by Tim Bogenn

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap finish...., 30 Oct. 2015
As a longtime Assassin's Creed fan and collector of hard to find and deluxe/ collector's strategy guides, this is probably the most disappointing so called "Collector's Edition" I have ever bought. I was first worried when I saw it was being published by Prima and not the usual Piggyback Publishing... and my concerns were proved right.
Before I start I also want to point out that the nice white colored strategy guidebook pictured is INCORRECT...the item has a cheap, black, matt finish. Either Piggyback Publishing were supposed to do this guide and had to cancel, and that nice white cover is a mock up of what they would have released...or Prima are deliberately trying to deceive buyers with that picture.
About the hardcover Prima guide...
- the paper used is extremely thin
- print quality is low. Not as bad as some Prima guides I have seen which are a murky, hard to read mess, but still disappointing
- the cover, although hardcover, marks easily and should have had a dust jacket similar to the one on Black Flag
- the 16 pages of artwork is also rubbish, low resolution (almost matt looking) and not super gloss like with Piggyback
So, basically if you buy a so called "Collector's Edition" from Prima, you are basically getting a low rez, cheap paper guide stuck inside a low quality hardcover finish..and they try to fob it off as "Collectible".
Anyone who has bought the hardcover editions in the past from Piggyback will know what I'm talking about. Why on earth Ubisoft decided to go to Prima after all these years with Piggyback I do not know! Perhaps Piggyback were too busy working on the recent superb collector's guide for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and just did not have the resources available to do this guide?...
You won't find the usual introduction in this guide from the games developer's saying how excited and proud they were to team up with Prima for this guide like you do with Piggyback...and that is because this is a very mediocre release- nowhere near the quality of previous collector's editions.
Very, very disappointing!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2015 8:25 PM GMT

Zanussi ZAN3002EL Compact Power Bagged Cylinder - Ice White/Blue
Zanussi ZAN3002EL Compact Power Bagged Cylinder - Ice White/Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price., 10 Oct. 2015
My powerful old upright Hoover Z2250 Powerlite 1700W vacuum broke recently after 9 solid years of service (previous vacuum was also a hand me down ancient Hoover from parents and have also owned a powerful American Eureka Boss upright). It would have cost about 40 quid to get repaired then I saw this little guy at a local Harvey Normans for only 40 pounds (55 euros)...after reading a lot of positive reviews thought I'd give it a chance.
I've only ever owned uprights as I believe they are more comfortable for larger homes with larger rooms/ areas to clean. My current place is a smaller 3 bed 2 story home with lots of furniture scattered around and in the way. I also live alone so place does not get really dirty anyway. This model is very light and maneuverable and great for getting in and around furniture, under tables etc. I have borrowed a Miele canister type vacuum in the past but found it very hard to maneuver and hard dragging around the place due to it's weight. This little Zanussi is super lightweight and it is hands down the easiest vacuum ever for stairs- there in a handle on the main body hold it with one hand and the brush with the other- excellent...light enough even for the oldest of people to use.
As far as cleaning quality goes it gets the job done- my whole house is carpeted and zero complaints. Obviously not as powerful as an non-eco rated type older upright but I think this will be perfect for 90% of people with smaller homes/apartments. It's very small and dinky and easy to just take out at a moments notice and do a quick vacuum- next to ironing I find vacuuming a real chore but it's fun with this little fella'!
Have done 2 or 3 complete cleans of my house now and there is already a fair bit of dirt in the bag so I know it's working. Nice small footprint too and easy to store- there are 2 slots to hold the hose/brush part on the vacuum body depending if you lay it flat or upright as in the picture.
The cord retracts with a simple press on one of the 2 top blue buttons- may have been better to use different colors to distinguish it tho from the other blue On/Off button but not a biggie. I'd recommend pulling the cord all the way out of the body tho when vacuuming as I noticed when I did not, the cord, left inside the body and not retracted/pulled all the way out, got quite warm to the touch.
Not sure what the hole on the handle is for which slides open and close and there is no instruction manual with this just a large sheet with various ridiculous diagrams/instructions..but it's not rocket science.
So, I have to give this 5 out of 5 stars for the performance/price ratio. It has exceeded my expectations as I actually thought it would be crap...and for 40 quid I paid, honestly, it's a no brainer.
(Forgot to mention this thing is very quiet- at least compared to my older upright Hoover which I had to wear earplugs while cleaning!)

Adidas Men's Response Short Sleeve Shirt
Adidas Men's Response Short Sleeve Shirt

2.0 out of 5 stars Loose neck...., 12 May 2015
Lovely looking shirt but every pair I tried on at the store is extremely loose around the neck which looks ugly and feels weird. Adidas have a habit of doing this with their shirts. Try it on first.

ASICS Gel-Nimbus 17, Men's Training Running Shoes, Green (Flash Green/White/Black - 8501), 10 UK, 45 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Running in the clouds, 24 Mar. 2015
Picked up a pair of these after having owned the Nimbus 12 and 13. These fit exactly as my older pairs. Shoes have a new seamless upper and the most cushioning ever in the Nimbus- it's like running on clouds and I could not be happier. I'm 88 kg, 6'1" and I'm just a casual runner- jog 3-4 times per weeks, 4 miles each run. I have a neutral pronation and run at a medium/slow pace and am delighted with these. Was a bit skeptical about the color at first but it has grown on me and they look great with black running gear. The coolest color I have seen are Carbon but they don't seem to be available in Europe yet.
I also own the Adidas Boost 2.0 ESM and Nike Pegasus 31 and those shoes are lighter but don't offer the super comfy ride the Nimbus do, which I prefer. For me, as a 48yr old guy, I'm just interested in a few good healthy runs every week to maintain overall good health and build up a bit of a sweat- with as little impact on my shins, joints and body as possible.
The Asics Gel Nimbus fits the bill and is a fantastic quality shoe- the build quality is top notch. The cushioning is probably the best you can get and I am delighted with these shoes. As with all running shoes, best to try them on at the store first.
9/10
**** EDIT/Update 27/Aug/15'
Wanted to give a quick update on these shoes...this is a incredibly soft/cushioned shoe. As a result, it is almost impossible to run fast in these...they are more suited to a casual runner or to be used in rotation with other shoes. They would also be ideal for someone just getting into running for the first time (although price may be too steep for some) and trying to build up their fitness level.
I run 4 times/week and rotate these with 4 other pairs of shoes I have. When I run in the Nimbus I considerate it my "recovery" run- a day off for my back, shins or any other part of my body that's aching. This really are the most cushioned and comfortable shoe I've ever worn but that comes at the cost of speed- but the bestfeature of this shoe for me is that they allow me to get out running even if I have a few aches and pains. As my fitness level has increased over the summer months, I have come to realize how 'sluggish' this shoes can sometimes feel. For comparison, I also run in the Asics Kayano 20 and 21, Nike Pegasus 31 and Asics GT2000-2.
If you try these on or are concerned about the 'softness', I would recommend trying the Kayano 21- also offers superb cushioning but without the "sink-in" mushy type feel.
A great shoe but it has a very specific purpose- I cannot imagine anyone running a marathon in these.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Two Days, One Night [Blu-ray]
Two Days, One Night [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Marion Cotillard

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 22 Jan. 2015
I have watched previous films by the same Director's, the Dardenne brothers and loved them- 'L'enfant' and 'The Kid With A Bike'- both of which I own on bluray (I also own the Criterion 'La Promesse' bluray which I have not watched yet). I couldn't wait to sit down & watch this after reading so many positive review...well, wow, what a disappointment!
I was quite bored watching Marion Cotillard going from one co-worker to the next, over and over again...I found it hard to believe that her employer would be at risk of going under by keeping her on, and still be able to afford to pay bonus payments to all it's employees- thought it was all quite daft actually (is it really possible to swallow a box full of Xanax and be running around like nothing ever happened a few hours later?...). I didn't even find Cotillard's performance anything extraordinary- is it really any better than her performances in 'La Vie En Rose' and 'Rust and Bone'? No.
I just don't understand some of the hype this film received- it's nowhere near as good as 'L'enfant' or 'The Kid With A Bike' in my opinion. I watch a lot of foreign language films and I found this film very average.
Just my 2 cents.

Berberian Sound Studio [Blu-ray]
Berberian Sound Studio [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Toby Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 15 April 2014
I have many Artificial Eye blurays in my collection and after all the rave reviews I couldn't wait to watch this. Unfortunately this turned out to be a huge disappointment- bordering on painful!! I'm sure you've read the reviews and plot synopsis so I won't go there. The film takes place almost entirely in 1 room and the cast is full of strange, unlikable characters.
I find Artificial Eyes blurays to be a little hit or miss at times...they have released classics like 'Blue Is The Warmest Colour', 'The Great Beauty', 'Hidden', 'Amour', 'Blue, White, Red' etc...but then a few absolute stinkers like 'Zidane', 'Elles' and now this.
Just my 2 cents of course and I'm sure this film has it's fans- but I'm guessing they would be in the minority. Good picture and audio quality on the bluray (like most of ArtEye's releases).
Possibly in my Top 10 worst films of all time.

SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SUPER SLIM VERTICAL STAND FOR CECH-4000 SERIES
SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SUPER SLIM VERTICAL STAND FOR CECH-4000 SERIES
Offered by gadgetrepairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality Sony product, 14 April 2014
Great little stand for the Sony PS3 Super Slim. Has a good bit of weight to it too so does not slide around and is 100% rock solid. This item actually makes the console look a lot nicer. The brushed aluminium/chrome base is very nice looking and the black around the edge of the base matches perfectly with the black console itself.
Be aware that there is also another very similar stand available from Sony (at least in Japan) that is also aluminium/chrome but has a white finish around the edge to match the white console if you have one of those. This black and chrome one tho also matches well with the white console.
Genuine Sony PS3 accessories tend to be a little more expensive than 3rd party and so called "PS3 Licensed" manufacturers. There is a reason- they are better quality, will function better and last longer. If you ever decide to sell your console in the future, genuine Sony accessories hold their value much better too.
I used to buy other brand accessories for my PS3- headsets, dualshock chargers etc, but after buying the official Sony headset and Sony dualshock charger after my old ones broke, and now buying this, I will stick with Sony. Definitely worth every penny. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10