Profile for Digger > Reviews

Content by Digger

Digger "Digger" (Hampshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Bonny Bunch Of Roses
The Bonny Bunch Of Roses

4.0 out of 5 stars Leige and Lief meets Angel Delight ?, 22 May 2007
After the 'car crash' that was Gottle o' Geer, Fairport Convention (invigorated by the return of Simon Nicol) came out of their divorce with Island Records with a five album contract with prog rock label Vertigo. The transformation brought a new tight unit delivering, in the main, a set of traditional arr Fairport material that harked back to a mixture of Leige and Lief meets Angel Delight.

Simon Nicol had by now grown in confidence to be a more than compentant solo vocalist and shared those duties with Dave Swarbrick. The playing was, as always, tight and fluent, particularly on the original and traditional jigs that opened and closed the set. For me the one low point was the title track - too much (12 and a half minutes!) of a dirge for me but I know the live audiences (seemed to) appreciate it.

This version of FC were great live and the follow up (Tipplers Tales) was in my mind an even better album. But neither sold well and Vertigo decided to cut their losses by terminating the contract - allowing Fairport to make more money than the albums made! Shame for they were a delight. The ending of the contract spurred the decision for Swarbrick and the rest of the band to 'quit' in 1979 .....and despite many obituries they are still going strong 28 years later!

Indiscreet
Indiscreet

3.0 out of 5 stars A Happy Hunting Ground - in most parts, 25 April 2007
This review is from: Indiscreet (Audio CD)
It's probably only because of my complete adolation for the splendour of the two Muff Winwood produced albums that preceded it (Propaganda was their high water mark for me) that, despite its strengths, I found this one a bit disappointing. It is a good album (It's Sparks!) and there are a number of highlights but, for me, the whole set isn't consistently strong. The major contributor to this for me was Tony Viscounti's production that seemed to dictate that the styles and arrangements should be unique to each track - great where its works, but overall I feel the set has no soul. I guess the greatest crime was the serious under-employment of the great tight rhythm unit of Diamond and Martin. Whether another Muff produced 'Kimomo Mark 3' would have been better is a matter of debate, but I for one would have liked to have heard it.

Is it worth buying this edition if you already have the CD/LP? Yes! The repackaging is really good with comprehensive notes and the extra tracks are solid as well as of interest to the completists. Strangely, the lush, schmaltsy version of I Wanna Hold Your Hand which featured in the last CD edition has chronologically incorrectly been transferred to the Big Beat reissue - although my still wife complains that Russell's vocal is decidedly out of tune. Wash her mouth out!

Gottle O' Geer
Gottle O' Geer
Offered by cdspot

1.0 out of 5 stars AT LEAST THEY DIDN'T BLIGHT THE 'CONVENTION' HERITAGE, 21 April 2007
This review is from: Gottle O' Geer (Audio CD)
When everybody's rich, you only work for fun......... to quote "Our Band". The problem was they needed the cash. Certainly, there are a couple of upbeat, fun tracks on this album and I recall that the line-up of 'Fairport' that promoted this album (including guitarist Dan Ar Bras and ex-Wizzard pianist Roger Burridge) were actually a good live band, albeit with a leaning to Chas n Dave pub-rock that didn't endear them to some Fairport Convention afficianados.
Alas though, this album was very disappointing, recorded not by the tour line-up (as pictured on the back cover at their Rockpalast appearance in March 76 - check it out on YouTube) but by the trio of Swarbrick, Pegg and Rowland with a host of guests including Gallagher & Lyle and Martin Carthy. Yet even this fine cast collectively couldn't salvage much out of the material. The Bruce Rowland production was lack lustre and in parts bizarre (I love versatility but the 'funk' on Cropedy Capers just didn't work) and the arrival of the Cavalry in the form of Simon Nicol was too late and diluted to add much quality. Thankfully he did stick around for what I thought were two very good 'final' albums - Bonny Bunch of Roses and Tipplers Tales.

No amount of remastering could save this. The fact that they ditched 'Convention' from the band's name hints that they knew even then that this very flat fare shouldn't be allowed to blight a rich heritage. Give it a miss and spend your cash on any 'Fairport' album but this one.

Jerry Burns
Jerry Burns
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes I'm mellow., 20 April 2007
This review is from: Jerry Burns (Audio CD)
I was attracted to this CD by the inclusion of the track "Sometimes I'm Wild" on a free sampler for Q Magazine back in 1992. For me it is the best track on an album which has a consistent, breathy atmosphere throughout. She has a beautifully expressive voice even though she rarely lets it get out of first gear. The keyboard dominated music is generally slow paced and mellow. It is difficult to source now but worth the effort. Its one of those albums best listened to in a candle lit room with scotch on the rocks. Chill!

Nick Drake: A Treasury
Nick Drake: A Treasury
Offered by simak

5.0 out of 5 stars Now we are in 5.1, and we are everywhere., 18 April 2007
This review is from: Nick Drake: A Treasury (Audio CD)
Of course, this material was superb before it was cleaned up (as it was for the reissues a few years back) to make it sound even bryter. Any collection of this quality is worth 5 stars. The key thing here for existing fans is the value of the 5.1 mix. Well, its OK as it is neither invasive or inventive. There aren't any "we've got 5.1 and we're gonna use it" features that sometimes afflict these products (with the instruments panned wide to all corners) but I don't feel that it leaves me anymore enlightened by the music. The bonus track (Plasir d'amour) only lasts 30 seconds so the disc isn't work buying for that alone. Nevertheless, its a good 'best of' and a great gift for the uninitiated.

Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light
Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light
by Patrick Milligan

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of cake, 17 April 2007
With 39 (spooky!) Hitchcock books currently on my bookshelf you could call me a bit of a Hitchcock fan. This book is an extensive journey through the great man's film career. Unlike other books, it concentrates more on the man and the story of him doing his job, rather than a critique of his work - although it does that well too. It adds interesting factual elements to the stories behind the production and development of his films I had not read elsewhere. Overall, £ for £, it is easily the best Hitchcock book on my shelf and the one I'd save if 'the ship went down'. Really well written - probably my fastest 850 page read of all time.

Love Makes The World Go Round: The Motown Years
Love Makes The World Go Round: The Motown Years

3.0 out of 5 stars Could it be Dusty in Motown?, 27 Oct 2006
My wife said "What's that you're listening to? Sounds like Dusty (Springfield) in Motown". And that my friends is a pretty good description of the sound which combines some unmistakable Motown arrangements wrapping Kiki's smooth bluesy tones. I really enjoyed listening to her in this temporary home. There are no poor tracks (the other reviews pinpoint the highlights) although a couple of the arrangements are a bit too light and cheesey for my liking. All round, this is solid (if not the greatest) Motown - so what's not to like? Nevertheless, if you've only got room for one Kiki Dee CD on the shelf, then, for me, the Amoreuse CD is a better showcase of her work.

Pootie Tang [DVD]
Pootie Tang [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tristan Armoogan

3.0 out of 5 stars So bad, its nearly great., 27 Oct 2006
This review is from: Pootie Tang [DVD] (DVD)
Yup! Three stars for a film that on one hand gave me some of the biggest laugh out loud moments I've had in ages and which attempts to pay tribute and affectionately parodies some great moments of blaxploitation cinema. On the other hand, its very short ( a blessing actually), runs out of steam after 20 minutes and lacks any sort of direction for long parts of it. At times, I'm sure the cast weren't aware the camera was on or where it was. But there is something strangely endearing about the whole calamity. So all in all, a great laugh for 20 minutes if you can get it for under a Fiver. Wadata!

Pinball And Other Stories
Pinball And Other Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Bally Good, 7 July 2006
At last. My unplayable vinyl chip shop version of Pinball can be consigned to the tip. I loved it in 1974 and I can love it again. Here are six of that album's best tracks (very underated in my opinion) along with a selection from his later albums.

Nothing to get excited about but good honest guitarist / singer / songwriter stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5