Profile for avid reader > Reviews

Content by avid reader

avid reader (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
About Time Board Game : Friends and Family Edition
About Time Board Game : Friends and Family Edition
Offered by ADVOCATE GAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting game and great customer service, 29 Dec. 2015
This looks lovely, and the quality is high. The game play is good with duels, highwayman and plague events all adding to the fun. Although be aware many dates are quite modern so there is a big general knowledge as well as historical element which I was not expecting. We had an issue with our game and contacted the manufacturers, they responded almost immediately and were extremely helpful.

Daniela Moda Italian Leather Rucksack Backpack Messenger Bag 37cmx31cmx13cm (Green & Black)
Offered by Giglio

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Oct. 2015
I love this! I really wanted a backpack handbag but didn't want to spend too much. I spent ages debating some of the far eastern "preppy" ones that come up when you do a backpack search but in the end was too worried by the false leather and the chance of it looking cheap. I then looked at the leather ones in my budget and thought this looked the best. Several great colours to choose from but as I have a new blue winter coat I went with the green. It arrived exactly when expected and it's fab! Great leather and lining and a real Kermit green I love. I also love the convertible handles which aren't clear from the photo. So it's set up as a backpack but if you pull the top handle the straps slide through and become one shoulder strap - perfect for work on moving onto high risk areas like the tube. Thrilled with this!

Denman Denman Bendy Rollers set 32 pc in disply box - DENDPBRS1
Denman Denman Bendy Rollers set 32 pc in disply box - DENDPBRS1
Offered by Amazing Hair & Beauty

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive - give them a go., 27 Oct. 2015
I had read the other reviews and so went for these with some trepidation but was persuaded by the Denman name. They came really quickly and I tried them out straight away. I have to say they are excellent. There are 8 each of 4 different sizes from a yellow for a tight curl to a pink for a big wave. I didn't find them difficult at all at my hair length - shoulder length bob but if you had really long hair and wanted to use all the same size you might need more than one pack. As it is I was able to do all of mine in one size. Remembering these things from the 80s I used a smaller size than I initially thought, i.e. I didn't want to look like a poodle but I still used the smaller sizes to allow for drop. Having got them all into my damp hair I then put a hair towel/turban over the top to hold them all tight and slept on them. Next morning great curls that lasted all day. I'll need more attempts to get it perfect but I have to say I'm impressed!

Pandora Bracelet of 19cm - 590713-19
Pandora Bracelet of 19cm - 590713-19

1.0 out of 5 stars Cracker toy standard, 15 Mar. 2015
Cracker toy production values. Sometimes you read Amazon reviews and are none the wiser because they are mixed, that was the case with this - having read the reviews I was prepared for fake but this is poor!

Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women
Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for city types..., 9 Aug. 2013
I wasn't sure that this book was for me - I used to be a chartered accountant (Mrs Moneypenny rather idolises accountants) but left to go into teaching, surely I'm not Mrs M's type at all?

However I found lots here to inspire and encourage, I'm mid career and was pleased to find reference to some of the things I already do but also found plenty of hints and tips to try out. The ideas on owning your own choices and network building were some of the most helpful to me but there was plenty of meat in each of the "homework" sections (helpfully divided into early career, mid career and later). I am thoroughly enjoying working out how to apply the advice to my sector.

Also very valuable were Mrs Moneypenny's idiosyncratic ideas on child raising - excellent to really hear someone articulating life as it is for working mothers serious about their careers.

The best recommendation of all is probably that I have gone on to order two of Mrs M's recommended titles.

Rubbernecker
Rubbernecker
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Over far too soon, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Rubbernecker (Hardcover)
Rubbernecker is an amazing book - another new twist on the crime genre by Belinda Bauer. I loved it and read it in nearly one sitting. Patrick is a fantastic character (and if you've read her other books it's another insightful portrayal of a young man as was Steven's previously) who you warm to despite the fact he wouldn't care. The secondary cast are wonderfully varied and interesting and while all the main plots get tied up (I hate missing endings) that one end that is left hanging is gloriously teasing.

Finders Keepers
Finders Keepers
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but do read the trilogy in order, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Finders Keepers (Paperback)
Finders Keepers, like all Belinda Bauer's books is a highly unusual crime novel. It's the third in the loose Blacklands trilogy (the other being Darkside) and it really is worth reading all three books in order to fully appreciate the larger arc of the story. Jonas and Steven in particular can only be appreciated by reading all three books and definitely deserve the investment of time (not that it takes long I couldn't put any of them down).

All three books live with you a long time afterwards....

Anker® New Laptop Battery for Dell Inspiron 1525 1526 1545 PP29L PP41L Series, Fits P/N X284G M911 M911G GW240 GP952 RN873 K450N RU586 C601H 312-0844 - 18 Months Warranty [Li-ion 6-cell 5200mAh/58WH]

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work in my 1545 and no customer service, 26 Feb. 2013
Having carefully read the reviews I thought that I'd found a solution to the overpriced Dell batteries for my Inspiron 1545. The battery fitted my machine perfectly but instantly produced a "battery not recognised and cannot be charged" message on booting up. Contacted customer services (which other reviewers had noted to be good) but I got no reply. Returning to Amazon for a refund none the wiser as to what the problem was.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2013 11:38 PM GMT

Is It Just Me?
Is It Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Such Fun, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Is It Just Me? (Hardcover)
As the somewhat over-height product of a public school I may not be the most impartial reviewer, but this has had me laughing like a drain and doing that thing where you slow down to prolong the book when you see the end approaching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2013 3:01 PM BST

Confessions of a Conjuror
Confessions of a Conjuror
by Derren Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's stylised, but that's no bad thing, 7 Nov. 2011
I held off reading this for a long time, I'm a fan of Derren Brown and didn't want the disappointing experience of a poor biography from someone I like (a pale shade of discovering someone you admire is a bore), so having read the reviews I waited. Curiosity overcame me in the end though and I'm very glad it did. Yes the structure is unusual and yes there are a lot of footnotes (though I thought these were a rather charming conceit - I'm a sucker for a good footnote) - but after a chapter or so I easily got into the swing of it. And very good it was then indeed, a truly personal autobiography - very honest, very funny and not at all mawkish - what more do you want? Some reviews have criticised Derren's vocabulary - rather rude, surely you can describe your own life in whichever words you chose, but I think they rather miss the point, there's some fairly tongue in cheek pedantry about the odd word, but nothing out of the ordinary. Others have criticised the opening chapters as being full of self loathing and made it sound like this is an indulgence - I honestly don't think there's an unusual amount here, don't we all feel like idiots when placed in difficult and public situations? I'll finish with the highest praise I think you can give a piece of autobiography - as soon as I finished it, I ordered Tricks of the Mind because I didn't want to let go of Derren's authorial voice so quickly.

Page: 1 | 2