Profile for avid reader > Reviews

Content by avid reader

avid reader (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Pandora Bracelet of 19cm - 590713-19
Pandora Bracelet of 19cm - 590713-19
Offered by Jeweller IRIS - Jewels & Emotions

1.0 out of 5 stars Cracker toy standard, 15 Mar. 2015
Cracker toy production values. Sometimes you read Amazon reviews and are none the wiser because they are mixed, that was the case with this - having read the reviews I was prepared for fake but this is poor!

Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women
Mrs Moneypenny's Careers Advice for Ambitious Women

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for city types..., 9 Aug. 2013
I wasn't sure that this book was for me - I used to be a chartered accountant (Mrs Moneypenny rather idolises accountants) but left to go into teaching, surely I'm not Mrs M's type at all?

However I found lots here to inspire and encourage, I'm mid career and was pleased to find reference to some of the things I already do but also found plenty of hints and tips to try out. The ideas on owning your own choices and network building were some of the most helpful to me but there was plenty of meat in each of the "homework" sections (helpfully divided into early career, mid career and later). I am thoroughly enjoying working out how to apply the advice to my sector.

Also very valuable were Mrs Moneypenny's idiosyncratic ideas on child raising - excellent to really hear someone articulating life as it is for working mothers serious about their careers.

The best recommendation of all is probably that I have gone on to order two of Mrs M's recommended titles.

Rubbernecker
Rubbernecker
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Over far too soon, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Rubbernecker (Hardcover)
Rubbernecker is an amazing book - another new twist on the crime genre by Belinda Bauer. I loved it and read it in nearly one sitting. Patrick is a fantastic character (and if you've read her other books it's another insightful portrayal of a young man as was Steven's previously) who you warm to despite the fact he wouldn't care. The secondary cast are wonderfully varied and interesting and while all the main plots get tied up (I hate missing endings) that one end that is left hanging is gloriously teasing.

Finders Keepers
Finders Keepers
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic but do read the trilogy in order, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Finders Keepers (Paperback)
Finders Keepers, like all Belinda Bauer's books is a highly unusual crime novel. It's the third in the loose Blacklands trilogy (the other being Darkside) and it really is worth reading all three books in order to fully appreciate the larger arc of the story. Jonas and Steven in particular can only be appreciated by reading all three books and definitely deserve the investment of time (not that it takes long I couldn't put any of them down).

All three books live with you a long time afterwards....

Anker® New Laptop Battery for Dell Inspiron 1525 1526 1545 PP29L PP41L Series, Fits P/N X284G M911 M911G GW240 GP952 RN873 K450N RU586 C601H 312-0844 - 18 Months Warranty [Li-ion 6-cell 5200mAh/58WH]

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work in my 1545 and no customer service, 26 Feb. 2013
Having carefully read the reviews I thought that I'd found a solution to the overpriced Dell batteries for my Inspiron 1545. The battery fitted my machine perfectly but instantly produced a "battery not recognised and cannot be charged" message on booting up. Contacted customer services (which other reviewers had noted to be good) but I got no reply. Returning to Amazon for a refund none the wiser as to what the problem was.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2013 11:38 PM GMT

Is It Just Me?
Is It Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Such Fun, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Is It Just Me? (Hardcover)
As the somewhat over-height product of a public school I may not be the most impartial reviewer, but this has had me laughing like a drain and doing that thing where you slow down to prolong the book when you see the end approaching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2013 3:01 PM BST

Confessions of a Conjuror
Confessions of a Conjuror
by Derren Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it's stylised, but that's no bad thing, 7 Nov. 2011
I held off reading this for a long time, I'm a fan of Derren Brown and didn't want the disappointing experience of a poor biography from someone I like (a pale shade of discovering someone you admire is a bore), so having read the reviews I waited. Curiosity overcame me in the end though and I'm very glad it did. Yes the structure is unusual and yes there are a lot of footnotes (though I thought these were a rather charming conceit - I'm a sucker for a good footnote) - but after a chapter or so I easily got into the swing of it. And very good it was then indeed, a truly personal autobiography - very honest, very funny and not at all mawkish - what more do you want? Some reviews have criticised Derren's vocabulary - rather rude, surely you can describe your own life in whichever words you chose, but I think they rather miss the point, there's some fairly tongue in cheek pedantry about the odd word, but nothing out of the ordinary. Others have criticised the opening chapters as being full of self loathing and made it sound like this is an indulgence - I honestly don't think there's an unusual amount here, don't we all feel like idiots when placed in difficult and public situations? I'll finish with the highest praise I think you can give a piece of autobiography - as soon as I finished it, I ordered Tricks of the Mind because I didn't want to let go of Derren's authorial voice so quickly.

The Children's Book
The Children's Book
by A S Byatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful including the editing!, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Children's Book (Paperback)
There are so many reviews already it's hard to add anything useful, so just two things. Firstly the characters of Dorothy and Griselda appear to be going largely unremarked, yet for me their stories of hard won and paid for freedoms were the best parts of the book. The discussion of the choices between a "thinking" and a "womanly" life are really not so dead and buried as one would hope. Secondly for those who claim this needs more editing there are some passages that repeat but that's a deliberate structural device (such as the section that tells us of literary developments to 1906 which are then individually refered to as time passes) but on the whole I think Jenny Uglow (a skilled and highly experienced editor of Byatt amoungst others) has bought a light touch to a wondeful rich novel. (There is one mistake with a characters age which Byatt has admitted to on Radio 4's open book, and I think possibly another with the length of one pregnancy but these really are minor and if I hadn't heard the radio interview and been on the look out I would never have spotted them).

Beneath the Bleeding
Beneath the Bleeding
by Val McDermid

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as usual but a bit different, 25 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Beneath the Bleeding (Hardcover)
Val McDermind's crime output is very varied coving simple (though not simplistic) who-done-its to very gory thrillers. Some reviews seem to suggest that this book is below par compared to the other Wire in the Blood books, but I found it just as engrosing and satisfying as ever - I think some of the dissatisfaction expressed is because this is far less gory than the other Wire in the Blood books and more in the vein of Val's other books.

This stoy lifts off where the Torment of Others leaves off and I had to run quickly over the plot of that book to be sure of all the references the characters make. Again people have commented that the characters, in particular Tony and Carol, are not progressing particularly quickly - however moving things along any faster would not be true to the cautious, damaged and workaholic characters of this pair.

One note of caution, the cover blurb contans a spoler that I would have been happier to avoid.

Angels And Demons
Angels And Demons
by Dan Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but.., 22 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
This is exactly the sort of page turner you expect from Dan Brown, but do check out the CERN website for the real deal on antimatter [...]

Page: 1 | 2