Profile for Mrs. E. Mclaughlin > Reviews

Nights of Rain and Stars
Nights of Rain and Stars
by Maeve Binchy

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, 16 Sep 2011
I have to admit, when I picked up this book my expectations were low. I thought it would be a typical holiday read with no real depth, however I was pleasantly surprised! I actually really liked it, I liked the characters, I thought that Meave Binchy did well there as they were all flawed and yet somehow very likeable. The way the scene was set of the island was rather lovely, it made me want to go Greece myself! Admitedly, this book is not for everyone, it is not very realistic, and the characters are abit two dimensional despite all I have said before. The only criticisms I have of this book is that; the ending was not very satisfying; I felt alot of loose ends were left untied and the fates of certain characters were left very uncertain, I would have liked some closure on the stories of David and Vonni. I think Meave Binchy simply swept these unfinished stories under the carpet by giving us a, frankly, silly romance to distract us from the characters who were more interesting. On top of this I thought that the writing style could have been more descriptive, perhaps more time could have been spent on thinking of more interesting and imaginitive ways of describing things, but I suppose what the author did fitted the bill fine as it is just a simple holiday read. All in all I did find that it was a pleasent and engaging read, fanciful, but good for a holiday where you don't want to have to think too much about overly complex characters and plots.

Page: 1 | 2