Profile for Mr. James C. Ford > Reviews

3.5mm Coiled Stereo Jack Extension/Splitter/6.35/Mono/2.5mm Adapters
3.5mm Coiled Stereo Jack Extension/Splitter/6.35/Mono/2.5mm Adapters
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Sept. 2013
Does what it should, and is very cheap. The coiled wire is useful for storage, though it can look a bit ugly. That's mostly just being pedantic though.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 22 Sept. 2013
Yes, it's a bit boring looking. Get over it. Not everything has to look like it's come from a 12 year old's lad's mag.

However, it's got amazing tracking, brilliant on the fly DPI changing settings, it's big (which is good for my deformedly-huge hands), it's got good, solid, no-fuss software, nice customisation options for the button and the physical appearance (LED's, personalised logo etc), and more. I could go on, but there's little point. I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase.

US Army Combat Assault Vietnam Jungle Boots Mens Security Cadet Black
US Army Combat Assault Vietnam Jungle Boots Mens Security Cadet Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Unwearable - and company doesn't even obey the law, 22 Sept. 2013
As soon as I pulled these boots onto my first foot (with socks on, and having bought the correct size), the way that the boot is made caused it to shave a chunk of my skin and flesh off the bottom of my ankle. I managed to pull them off before the blood soaked through the sock, so it didn't stain the boot (fortunately - I could return them easier), but obviously I didn't even get to putting the second boot on, never-mind walking in them. The problem is caused by the use of very stiff leather for the bottom of the boot, the top of which reaches just under the centre of your lateral malleolus. The adjacent part of the shoe is fabric - meaning that the leather curves inward (as you can see on the picture), and isn't compensated by the upper part of the shoe. To use these boots, with normal sized and shaped feet, would not be possible, unless you were prepared to spend a fortune on ankle-surgery.

I should also note that the company refused to offer a pre-paid return label even though I explicitly returned the shoes as 'damaged/unfit for use', and explained the problem clearly in my comment - and the company accepted this. I've contacted Amazon about this, because the return costs were half the price of the 'shoe', but Amazon haven't got back to me on this, so I can only assume they've given up. I've got no real issue with having a dodgy item that needs returning, as it's often not the seller's fault (I build/repair PCs part time, so I'm often returning things) - as a result, I think companies should be judged by how they deal with returns. In this case, the company actually broke the law by not paying for the return of the item, which was clearly not fit for use (as they accepted).

As a result, I can only advise potential customers to avoid this product, and certainly to avoid dealing with this company.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 11:31 AM BST

Plantronics GameCom 780 Open Ear Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound
Plantronics GameCom 780 Open Ear Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but flawed., 22 Sept. 2013
The 780 is a great headset. It's got nice clear sound, the mic is crisp and clean, the build seems solid, and it's got lots of nice features. It's also very comfortable, and even with my glasses I don't feel the need to take the headset off even with extended sessions. They look great, and the colours and styling is really pleasing. The buttons on the headset also seem very responsive, and they don't strike me as being button types that would break easily - but time will tell, I suppose.

Now for the bad - the headset is flawed in a few ways. The first annoyance is a trade-off: the USB connection. The USB connection means that they can have lots of fancy features for the mic (like the surround), that simply wouldn't be possible on a traditional headphone/mic jack. However, it also means that you're resigned to only using it on a pc. It can't be used on an xbox, or with your TV, or your standard music player, for instance, because of the interface and the need for drivers. This is definitely annoying. Another annoyance is that, contrary to its advertised 'noise cancelling microphone', the mic actually picks up a *lot* of background noise, and likewise any audio playing through the headset is audible to others even at a low volume. Another issue you'll want to be aware of is the drivers themselves. The drivers and software that come with the disk are out of date, and if you use them on Windows 7, the headset software will crash every 30 minutes or so (it varied, for me), meaning you have to do a restart before they work again. Normally, I'd install straight from the website and skip the disk, but I actually found the location of the drivers almost impossible to find - eventually locating a link on a forum somewhere. Since the updated drivers have been installed (obviously, following a wipe of the old ones), I've had no problems with crashing software.

Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo "Ultra High Performance, 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes, Universal CPU Cooler" Black Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a truly brilliant cooler, 18 Mar. 2013
I got this from the Cooler Master website. I would have bought it from Amazon (because Amazon's great), but I had a voucher.

Anyway, you'll want to buy this. Yes, the instructions aren't great - but I challenge you to find an aftermarket cooler, scratch that, just find any cooler master product with good instructions! If you're installing an aftermarket cooler like this, they obviously assume you know what you're doing, or at least that you can use the net. But, if you don't have access to the net, and you haven't had much experience, then this isn't that bad, provided you follow the instructions.

Anyway, onto the cooler. It's great. With this, I overclocked my fx-4100 to 4.4 Ghz, with AS5 and max temps of around 47. The big test, though, is my i5 3570k, which, using this, I OC'd to a stable 4.5, with a good deal of headroom on a max temp for the CPUTIN of 40, and a max individual core temp of 66 under 100% Prime load for 1hr. Now, given the 3570k has a reasonable 24/7 temp of around 85*C, that gives me roughly 20*C to play with. I can imagine this chip hitting 4.7, *maybe* even 4.8, and on air that's phenomenal. The only reason I haven't is because I'm waiting for my replacement PSU.

Some pointers to get the best temps:
-The fan twists as you screw it in - don't let it do this, you'll need to hold it still.
-Screw the screws in with only 1 turn per screw, and then switch diagonally, then keep this going until you're done. If you do this unevenly (e.g. screw each screw fully individually) then the thermal paste will spread unevenly.
-Think about thermal paste. Use either the line method or the 'pea' method for thermal paste application. NEVER, EVER, EVER, spread it with a card or touch it with anything, even if your super-ultra-knowledgeable computer buddy tells you to. He/she is wrong. This adds air bubbles and heat, and even if it didn't, there's no point. The paste will spread itself properly if you apply a drop to the middle, and the heat is generated at the centre of the CPU, not the corners. Personally I prefer the 'pea' method, and in fact, use less than a pea size. Also, if you put the cooler on and then take it off again, you'll need to reapply the paste, even if it was only on for a second, otherwise you end up with more demon air bubbles. You'll also need to get some decent paste. Yes, this now comes with paste, and it's surprisingly good. I'd go so far as to say it's better than the supposedly 'market-leading' Arctic-Silver 5. But that's because, contrary to popular opinion, AS5 isn't so great any more. My paste of choice is MX-2.
-You *can* mount this horizontally. However, I wouldn't advise it. The fan is not really designed for horizontal mounting, so if you do choose to go that way, replace it.
-Think about airflow before you blame the fan for your rubbish temps. Tidy those cables, and get a case fan on intake at the front and one of exhaust at the back. Generally, more than that won't help, except in some cases - but have a fiddle around and fine the best setup for you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2013 4:07 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 18 Mar. 2013
This is a great CPU, and I mean 'great', in its true sense, like Einstein or Plato. It will run anything you throw at it at stock speeds (unlike Plato), but if you're looking for the K version and not the standard, you want to know about overclockability, yes?

I'm currently running 4.5ghz at 1.1 Vcore with an offset of 0.005, and turbo offset at 0.004 (the lowest settings). This hits a maximum individual core temp of 66 on a Prime test of 100% load, and a CPUTIN max of 40 degrees Celsius, on a Hyper 212 Evo with a single fan in push. This is all packed into a Casecom 6788 (that I'm very fond of), with no cable management due to a temporary CX430 (my TX750 is being replaced). So, the airflow isn't exactly great, and it still gets that sort of temperature. 4.5 was a lazy OC too - I'd push it further (and will in future), but I don't want to overstress the CX430, but I can easily imagine this chip hitting 4.6 or 4.7 on a similarly low voltage, and well within temperature limits (which, to be conservative, are around 85*). With Watercooling we'd be talking about 5Ghz+. While the 8350 BE currently outbenches it in some tests, an OC 3570k and the benefits it brings (including massively increasing SSD speed, for example), are absolutely worth it.

Buy this CPU, you won't regret it.

Cooler Master CM Seidon 120M 120x27mm radiator, RL-S12M-24PK-R1 (radiator)
Cooler Master CM Seidon 120M 120x27mm radiator, RL-S12M-24PK-R1 (radiator)

1.0 out of 5 stars Product was unusable, 27 Jan. 2013
Unfortunately, this product, contrary to advertising, is not compatible with AMD motherboards. The screws on the mounting brackets are not long enough. CoolerMaster have known about this for a while and haven't taken it off the market, changed the packaging/advertising, contacted sellers, or taken any action yet (beyond pointlessly including backplates that are actually less useful than the OEM ones). As a result, I almost broke my MB attempting the install, and wasted an entire day and tube of thermal paste among other things. CoolerMaster, once contacted (and pestered) about this, were prepared to offer me compensation, and the CM.eu staff member was very helpful. However, given that this review is about the product, I'm forced to give this one star - frankly, given that it doesn't even install, it should really be 0 stars.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2013 12:52 PM BST

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
(Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 20 Jan. 2013
This TV has really vivid colours, it's very bright, and at 1080p it's *actual* HD (unlike those fake 720p things...). Most refreshing, though, is the software, which is exactly what I've been looking for in a TV for years. It's simple but functional with good optionality, and wonderfully fast. Speed, as we all know, is unusual for a TV, and this really is fast. The touch pad front panel is also really quick, and the TV turns on instantaneously, which is really nice to use. The build, when finished, is really solid, and looks lovely, nice and not shiny, but more like dulled brushed metal. The main criticisms you'd make of it are those that it doesn't have enough scart sockets, or enough of a variety of sound connections. The assembly instructions are also a little confusing for the stand, and the screws that came with it are different to those listed there. It's ridiculous to make anything of these criticisms though, as the former (connections) applies to almost all modern TV's and it isn't advertised as having these, while the latter (the instructions) is irrelevant since it's so obvious and easy to put together they aren't necessary. I really had to think just to come up with something to balance it.

We had several very similar price range TV's, as our main TV; the others have been faulty or RMA'd, for various reasons. This not only blows everything of a similar price out of the water, but for its simplicity, reliability and speed of software, as far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer it over a £1000+ smart TV.

The LG 42" is fantastic. Really. Buy it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2013 12:34 AM GMT

Revell EasyKit Star Wars Millenium Falcon  Model Kit
Revell EasyKit Star Wars Millenium Falcon Model Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Model, 10 Mar. 2012
I'm a quite experienced modeller - and this really impressed me.

As soon as I took it out of the box, it was quite obvious that the picture didn't do it justice - the detailing is significantly better than it lets on. There are few mold lines, and the pieces fit together marvellously well. Unlike other non-glue kits, the extremely tight fit of the pieces means you really could get away with avoiding the sticky stuff, though I'd use some anyway - for posterity - although this does mean that certain fittings require a bit more strength than a young modeller could offer (if it's too much, remember, you can always trim the parts a little and use glue). I'd echo the previous reviews in their commendation of the paint-job; if you want a little extra detail, then you can add it yourself (as I plan to), but the basic job is certainly not to be scorned, and could easily be left alone. Thus far, it doesn't look out of place alongside my X-wing and Enterprises, both of which are carefully hand-painted; and that's only with the basic paint job.

Note: I've rated the durability at 5*. Objectively, this probably doesn't merit such a high rating. However, for a model, when careful gluing is used, this really is a very strong piece - I wouldn't let your kid play with it though!

Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization Volume One:The Fabrication of Ancient Greece 1785-1985: The Fabrication of Ancient Greece, 1785-1985 Vol 1
by Martin Bernal

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Athena, 14 Jan. 2010
This is one of the most controversial books in modern Classical Scholarship. Bernal, somewhat unsystematically, presents an argument which highlights the prejudice inherent in modern Classics. Although his work has been subsequently dismissed by prominent scholars such as Lefkowitz (Not out of Africa/Black Athena Revisited) it is important for any student of Classics to be aware of the critiques made towards their field.