Profile for Mr. D. J. Marsh > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. J. Marsh

Mr. D. J. Marsh "mr tibbles" (on table)

Page: 1 | 2
Copasetic & Cool
Copasetic & Cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Still dead cool 8 years on, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: Copasetic & Cool (Audio CD)
Was listening to this album again this morning and was, again, impressed at how effortlessly cool it is. Still a firm fave - must investigate their other albums.

Topeak Joe Blow Sport II Track Pump
Topeak Joe Blow Sport II Track Pump
Offered by WickedCycles
Price: 32.49

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than an old-style bicycle pump, 20 Mar 2012
This track pump is so much better than an old-style bicycle pump. Gets tyres pumped up to high pressures in seconds rather than minutes with an old-style pump. In fact, it's so good, I can even top my car tyres up with it!

Genius COLOURPAGE-SF600 Scanner USB
Genius COLOURPAGE-SF600 Scanner USB
Price: 71.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated drivers needed for Windows 7, 20 Mar 2012
Bought this for my brother and he's pretty pleased with it. Only issue seemed to be that the Windows 7 drivers supplied with the device don't work. He got updated drivers from here and it now works fine: [...]

Gin O'clock
Gin O'clock
by The Queen [of Twitter]

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint, even if you're a Twitter follower, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: Gin O'clock (Hardcover)
I bought this for my girlfriend last Christmas but feared, as 2 followers of @Queen_UK on Twitter, that we might find the book a bit tired. However, we've read large chunks of the book out to each other and, in spite of remembering some of the tweets, hearing long excerpts around real-world events from 2011, all in one go, was actually funnier. The book is very well laid out as a diary rather than just looking like a bunch of tweets. Well worth buying for a bit of a Twitter-titter.

Finding Nemo [VHS] [2003]
Finding Nemo [VHS] [2003]
VHS
Offered by watsonsinc
Price: 7.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but as good as its predecessors, 21 Feb 2012
Following on from huge smash hit computer-generated animation features like "Toy Story" and "A Bug's Life", Pixar does it again with "Finding Nemo". As before, their leading edge animation is accompanied by a witty script and is delivered by a great cast.

Kids will lap it up and adults can enjoy the humour too but you may just find yourself thinking you've been here before as, although "Finding Nemo" gives us what we've come to expect from its predecessors, it doesn't really break any new ground like "Toy Story" did or even surprise and delight us with it's wit in the way that "Shrek" did.

I would recommend this kid's movie but there's quite a few others in this genre that I would recommend more.

Stop Talking, Start Doing: : A Kick in the Pants in Six Parts
Stop Talking, Start Doing: : A Kick in the Pants in Six Parts
by Sh Wasmund
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and entertaining, 8 Nov 2011
What I love about this book is that it as well as inspiring you to follow your dreams, it also entertains you along the way. It's easy to read and packed full of fun photos, graphs and drawings. In fact, you can pretty much read the whole book in one sitting and then all you have to do is follow the authors' simple steps that help you to start doing whatever it is that you've been wanting to do with your life but have been putting off for far too long.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Double Disc Edition) [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe|Paul Bettany
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 10.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Even O'Brian fanatics love it!, 26 Feb 2004
Yes, even that strange, disparate group of people who are incapable of talking about anything when they meet other than weevils, soused pig's face and tincture of laudanum, even they love this film. I should know, I'm one of them and most of the people I know are too.
Having seen a couple of excerpts of Crowe as Aubrey, I was absolutely dreading this movie but was totally enthralled from the outset. In fact, it wasn't until near the end of the movie when Aubrey & Maturin were walking on deck next to each other that I noticed that Paul Bettany is almost a foot taller than Russell Crowe (stilts for Crowe were in order for that shot).
It's not a word-for-word rendering of the novel onto film by any stretch of the imagination (nor should it have been) but it absolutely captures the spirit of the books and conveys life aboard the Surprise brilliantly. The detail is breath-taking from the ship itself to the behaviour of the crew and on to the wonderful storm and battle action scenes.
To give you an idea of just how pedantic I was being, I was absolutley delighted to see Maturin - like the good Catholic that he is - stopping short of the line "For thine is the kingdom..." during the Lord's Prayer near the end of the film (yes, I know it's sad to actually expend mental energy on such minutiae but, clearly, someone else did too).
My only disappointment was that no allusions were made to Maturin's secret life as an intelligence agent but I guess there's a limit to how much character exposition one can expect in, what I hope, is the first in a series of films. However, other aspects of his character - as Aubrey's best friend, as a great physician and as a fanatical naturalist - are depicted to great effect and humour.
From the outset, I forgot that it was Russell Crowe (so all credit to him) and thoroughly enjoyed his depiction of Aubrey and, obviously, David Threlfall was born to play Preserved Killick (more of him in the next film, I hope). The casting was, in fact, faultless except for one thing: the actor playing Barrett Bonden - a role for a huge, burly, pigtailed pugilist - was given to a rather small hobbit.
Far Side of the World is destined to become a cinema classic as well as a much-cherished DVD in my collection.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 10:38 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Pixar release but not as good as some..., 11 Nov 2003

Star Trek: Elite Force II (PC CD)
Star Trek: Elite Force II (PC CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same but still good Trekkie fun, 31 Oct 2003
If you liked the first Elite Force, you should enjoy this one but don't expect anything particularly new. In fact, there are a few things that aren't as good as the original Elite Force. Firstly, the protagonist, Monroe, can't be a woman - much to wife's disappointment (yeah, thanks Raven Games for making gaming even less appealing to women). Secondly, saving the game mid-play isn't as quick and easy as it was. Thirdly, there's only 2 cast members' voices - Tuvok and Picard - in the game whereas the original had all the major characters from Voyager. I enjoyed the game but not as much as I enjoyed the first one. Let's hope there's a return to form for a 3rd instalment!

The Animatrix [VHS] [2003]
The Animatrix [VHS] [2003]
VHS
Offered by Film Frenzy Fast Delivery
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the films?, 31 Oct 2003
One of my biggest criticisms of the Matrix films is that the "real" world of Zion, evil machines and rebels in hovercraft looks rather jarringly unreal due to its largely computer-generated appearance whilst the artificial world of the Matrix is all too realistic as it's mainly live action (and, no, this paradox doesn't add anything to the story).
As it's a series of animations, Animatrix doesn't suffer from this problem - we accept it's unreality from the outset. In fact Animatrix offers us a rich, thought-provoking collection of ideas based on the worlds of the Matrix and develops, perhaps as only animation can, some of the themes far deeper.
Whilst Animatrix couldn't have existed without the original Matrix film, it's fascinating to see animators surpass such highly-rated film-makers in their exploration of ideas.
If you have a choice between watching Matrix Reloaded and Animatrix, I'd say Animatrix makes for a much better viewing experience all round. I only hope we'll be seeing more animation of this calibre entering the mainstream cinema & video markets.

Page: 1 | 2