Profile for djgamera > Reviews

Shameless (USA) - Season 1 [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Shameless (USA) - Season 1 [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Dvd ~ William H. Macy

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it..., 22 Sept. 2011
OK, so I am probably in the minority here as I have never seen the UK version of this, depsite it being on CH4 for years. So I came to Shameless US completely fresh. Several people who I know and trust have seen both, and don't like the US version at all. I suppose this is to be expected when you are so familiar with something. It's not like a modern remake of a 50 year old film.

Anyway, all that aside and evaluating purely on it's own merits...I love this. If you don't know the background, it's about a family of misfits with a drunk and feckless father at the helm and the children doing everything to support each other and get by, with tangents of each of their lives thrown into the mix.

William H Macy -who I have always loved- completely takes to this role and the storylines and actors all do a great job. It's a gritty picture of the family and their circumstances (Desperate Housewives this ain't), but has an energy and humour rarely found in comedies I have seen recently.

East of Nowhere
East of Nowhere
by Robert Chalmers

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Feb. 2005
This review is from: East of Nowhere (Paperback)
This is an extraordinary book. It reminds me in some ways Mike Leigh's film Naked, where a character seems to freefall through a series of chance encounters. I am a fan of this kind of storytelling so was hooked from the outset. Once things start to happen, you never seem to know where the book will take you. As the book progresses, the events and characters all take on a slightly surreal tinge, which requires an element of suspension of disbelief but the author's skill in bringing characters to life means it all works superbly.
As the official Amazon synopsis hints at, there is a streak of black humour running throughout which had me laughing out loud at several points. I recommend this to anybody willing to try something a bit different.

The Soul Sessions
The Soul Sessions
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 18 Jan. 2004
This review is from: The Soul Sessions (Audio CD)
Here is a copy of the review I wrote for the US release of this album. I thought it worth repeating on here......This album is like a breath of fresh air in an music market with so many anodyne, manufactured acts. It's refreshing to see a release with competent experienced musicians and an outstanding singer simply delivering songs they obviously enjoy performing. Joss deserves to be huge and this album, (recorded in just 4 days I think), reminds you how emotional and exciting music can be. There are a couple of songs that I like less, as the arrangements are quite minimal, but this is a minor quibble, and the album as a whole is superb.

SOUL SESSIONS
SOUL SESSIONS
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Oct. 2003
This review is from: SOUL SESSIONS (Audio CD)

High Society
High Society
by Ben Elton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not one of his best..., 16 July 2003
This review is from: High Society (Hardcover)
I have read all Ben Elton's books, and cannot recommend them enough. This is very good, but lacks some of the comic flair of his earlier novels.
He succeeds in putting across all the arguements he is trying to make, but in doing so sacrifices some of the characterisation he built up over time in books like Stark. Also there are not so many laugh out loud slapstick moments.
So, still very good, but I don't know whether it was meant to be quite as funny as previous books.