Profile for Mr. P. James > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. James

Mr. P. James (Eastbourne, Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
4 Tier Black Heavy Duty Plastic Strong Shelf Unit
4 Tier Black Heavy Duty Plastic Strong Shelf Unit
Offered by BargainShop_London

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent storage for garden shed or garage, 28 Jun. 2014
I bought this as storage for our small garden shed and it serves the purpose very well. Being only about 2 foot wide by one foot deep, it doesn't take up a lot of space, yet with four shelves it is possible to store quite a large number of items and it is easy to find things too. Not that sturdy, but it was only £15, and as long as you put the heaviest items on the bottom shelf it is quite stable. Being plastic, it won't rot like wood - so hopefully will last a while.
My only gripe would be that it comes without any instructions for fitting it together - so you end up with all these bits of plastic that you have to work out for yourself what slots where, and which way round pieces go. It's not difficult and I constructed the whole thing in 5 minutes, but it did feel a bit like being on TV's Krypton Factor, slotting all these pieces together to make a shape - although fortunately there's no time limit! But it wouldn't be too hard for the company just to put in a simple diagram. One bit of advice, from my experience: construct it where it is going to be situated, starting with the bottom shelf and slot the feet in place, and then build up from there. If you construct it elsewhere and then pick it up to transport it, the feet drop off.

Your King and Country Want You: A Woman's Recruiting Song
Your King and Country Want You: A Woman's Recruiting Song
by Paul Alfred Rubens
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Patriotic World War I Song, 19 Dec. 2013
I have been asked to perform this at a WWI centenary celebration in 2014, so it was good to find an original 1914 edition of the sheet music in good condition. The song is really a piece of history, as it was a recruiting song to encourage men to join the forces and part of it was used in the film "Oh What A Lovely War", prior to Maggie Smith's rendition of "To Make A Man Of Anyone Of You".

JUMP SUEDE HEEL GRIPS
JUMP SUEDE HEEL GRIPS
Offered by HotDeals-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Solves a problem, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: JUMP SUEDE HEEL GRIPS (Apparel)
Like many people, I suspect, I have one foot that is slightly smaller than the other and so often have just one loose shoe. This product solves the problem very easily. Simple to apply too and, as they are quite sticky, I found that I could move one and reposition it when I put it in slightly the wrong place. Because I only ever have one loose shoe in a pair, this pack actually makes 4 pairs of shoes wearable. I think that if you always use a shoe horn to put your shoes on, as recommended on the packaging, then these pads should remain in place.

Philex 27813HS 4-Way TV Signal Booster
Philex 27813HS 4-Way TV Signal Booster
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 13 Nov. 2013
Our TV picture suddenly kept breaking up and occasionally disappeared altogether, and nothing seemed to solve the problem - I tried new coaxial leads, changed plugs, moved wires, and the picture would seem fine and then for no reason would break up...usually at a key moment in a film or drama..."And the murderer is..."
This went on for months and so I recently purchased one of these signal boosters, and we now have a beautifully clear picture on all channels and no picture break up. Takes seconds to install and has made such a difference.
To those who give it a low rating and say that it makes no difference to their picture, you do have to re-tune the TV once it has been installed. And your DVD recorder too. Just attaching the signal booster is not really effective, you have to get the TV to search for channels once the signal booster has been installed. It should say this on the instructions, but doesn't. We had 118 digital channels before installing this, but when I re-tuned and our TV downloaded the channels, it found 148...

Hangerworld Pack of 20 Clear Polythene Garment Covers - 38" (96.5cm) - Ideal Length for Trousers, Shirts, Skirts etc.
Offered by Hangerworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent covers and great value, 8 July 2013
This is the fourth batch of covers I have bought. They are good value and the perfect length for suits and jackets; keep them dust free and fewer creases in the wardrobe too, so less pressing required.

Excellent service from HangerWorld and delivery is always very fast.

In Search of Ruritania: The life and times of Ivor Novello
In Search of Ruritania: The life and times of Ivor Novello
by David Slattery-Christy

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointng, 24 April 2012
I had been looking forward to reading this biography of Ivor Novello, having read all the others that have been published over the years, but found it slightly disappointing as it really had little new information, other than perhaps a few more details from Mary Ellis and from Christopher Hassall's son. It was as much about the author as it was about Ivor, and I personally felt that the author had a very tenuous link with Novello i.e. an aunt introduced him to Ivor's songs when he was a child, and in recent years he had tried unsuccessfully to put on a production of 'Glamorous Night'. Instead, on a Tuesday afternoon in 2001, he put on a concert of Novello songs at Drury Lane, although in the Grand Saloon seating 180 people and not actually in the theatre itself. On this basis he was classed as a 'Novello expert' and so was engaged to advise during the making of the film 'Gosford Park'. I may be wrong, but I don't remember Ivor Novello being a major character in 'Gosford Park'....but maybe that's just my memory. I could not help feeling that the film was a tiger and the author was hanging on desperately to its tail.
I found it irritating that, having read so much about Ivor's life over the last 50 years, Mr Slattery-Davis seemed in some cases to deliberately take an opposing view to all the other biographers (many of whom knew Ivor personally), to portray him as being more difficult to work with, depressive, bad tempered and a bit of a control freak etc. Maybe this was just to give it a new angle? Its effect was to destroy some of Ivor's charm. I would also take exception to the author's view of Ivor that "Within ten years of his death he was all but forgotten, as if he never existed." An odd statement, as Ivor has not been forgotten at any point in the last 60 years. His songs and music are played all the time, from "Keep The Home Fires Burning" to "We'll Gather Lilacs" etc, and I regularly hear them in concerts and on the radio. In recent years Cameron Mackintosh renamed the Strand Theatre as the Novello Theatre. Even the pop world has its annual Novello Awards, which are much coveted. I could go on....
Overall this had the potential to be a much better book than it actually is. The paperback that I purchased has very poor quality photos, and some are wrongly captioned e.g. one picture of Ivor taken in 1929 during the run of Symphony in Two Flats is captioned "Ivor - circa 1940". Opposite is a picture of 8 people, yet the caption lists 7 names. I also find it very irritating when biographies like this don't have an index. You want to find an anecdote about a particular performer and you have no idea where to find it.
In a description of his visit to Ivor's home, Redroofs, the author mentions that "Ivor's presence" is still felt and that people have seen "an older man sitting in a chair". Ivor was only 58 when he died, and for someone who was idolised for his looks and tried so hard to remain youthful (playing a 26 year old when he was 46), I cannot imagine Ivor Novello coming back to haunt Redroofs as an "older man". If Ivor ever returns, you can be certain that he will look young and glamorous!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 4:43 PM BST

Multi-Catch Metal Mouse Trap
Multi-Catch Metal Mouse Trap

5.0 out of 5 stars Very humane and easy to use, 12 Mar. 2012
We had a mouse that used to visit our bird table, which seemed rather cute. But recently there have been two mice at a time on the table, and then last week three. So we thought it might be time to do something about it before it gets out of hand. Having looked at all traps available, this seemed the most humane and very easy to use. Following what other reviewers have said, I put a square of chocolate in the trap, also some bird food that they seem to like, and just left the trap near a wall. Nothing for a couple of days, but then last evening a mouse appeared inside. We carried him out to a country lane and let him loose near a field with plenty of hedges and undergrowth. Easy to release, it's just like opening a biscuit tin. The mouse hopped out, looked at me for a few seconds (I hope he was saying 'thank you' !) and off he ran. This morning there was another mouse in the trap, so we released this one in exactly the same place. So, I can recommend this trap and the mice don't seem at all distressed... just a little embarrassed about being caught!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2012 11:09 AM BST

TRIXES External USB Portable Floppy Disk Drive PC Laptop
TRIXES External USB Portable Floppy Disk Drive PC Laptop
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Great invention!, 8 Sept. 2011
I didn't know such a thing even existed until recently, and I have over 100 floppy disks that I felt were useless. Yet, with this Floppy Disk Drive I have just spent a happy and nostalgic afternoon looking through long forgetten files and photos stored on my old floppy disks.

Using this device could not be easier. I just plugged it in a USB port, and that was it. Ready to go. Put a floppy disk in and could click on the files to see what was on it, and even transfer items to my computer (which I can now make copies of on to a CD and store them that way). Strangely, I also tried storing some new files on the floppy disks, and that works as well. So, if you want a floppy disk facility, as we always used to have on computers, then I can really recommend this product.

Onward
Onward

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing and uplifting, 5 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Onward (Audio CD)
This is the first Alfie Boe CD that I have ever bought, and I have loved listening to it. This particular album has a very soothing and uplifting choice of songs - some might think it is a 'religious' choice, but I would say it is an 'inspirational' selection and it really wouldn't matter what your faith or beliefs. Just enjoy Alfie Boe's incredible voice, the fantastic music... and you might gain comfort from the lyrics as well.

I have just one very tiny niggle, and that is the interpretation of the track "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind". The final line of that is "O still small voice of calm", which should be sung very very softly - but Alfie really belts out the line at full capacity. Somehow it doesn't seem quite right to bellow that beautiful line out in a voice that is anything but still, small or calm! But that's a very minor observation.

Re-pitching the Tent: Re-ordering Your Church Building for Worship and Mission
Re-pitching the Tent: Re-ordering Your Church Building for Worship and Mission
by Richard Giles

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous in the wrong hands, 19 July 2011
We had a vicar that became totally obsessed with this book, and as a result he wanted the pews ripped out and 'comfortable seating' put in; sermons could no longer be preached from the pulpit but had to be at ground level 'amongst the people'; priests had to stop sitting near the altar facing the congregation and had to be 'amongst the congregation' instead; we no longer had coffee in our large church hall (with a good kitchen) and instead it was served at the back of the church, which was very inconvenient with no facilities, not even running water - but it was considered that 'everything must take place in the church'. The vicar stated that we would no longer kneel for Holy Communion but had to stand and queue up in a production line -- actually being told 'If anyone kneels, I won't give them Holy Communion'.... This is just a fraction of what happened purely as a result of a vicar reading this book.

Within less than a year the congregation dwindled to such an extent that the church closed and was eventually demolished to make way for social housing. A thriving church community was absolutely ripped apart and still suffers the scars to this day. Some people could not face starting again elsewhere, and have not been to church since.

So I would say, by all means read this book - but my first hand experience is that it can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. If you like church traditions, the peace and holiness of an old church building etc, then this book is probably not for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2012 2:24 PM BST