Profile for S. Umamaheswarampillai > Reviews

Content by S. Umamaheswar...

S. Umamaheswarampillai (High Wycome, UK)

LG N2R1D 2 Bay DVD Network Attached Storage Enclosure
LG N2R1D 2 Bay DVD Network Attached Storage Enclosure

1.0 out of 5 stars NAS from hell, 4 Jan. 2015
The user interface is probably the worst I have ever seen anywhere in my life. Accessing the hard drives from a mac is unreliable at best. Lot of features are advertised (AFP support, Time machines back etc.) but getting them to work is a different story. AFP simply didn't work for ages and after some firmware updates it sort of started to work but kept dropping. I have given up on trying to get time machine support to work.

Shortly after buying it I managed to accidently delete some operating system files that destroyed even their recycle bin through an FTP connection. I would except any reasonable system to prevent users from deleting system files.

The only reason I haven't thrown this away is the Optical drive. Apart from that this is a piece of trash. If you want a good NAS there are plenty of options. Don't buy this one.

Discrete Mathematics with Applications
Discrete Mathematics with Applications
by Susanna S. Epp

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 29 April 2010
I bought this after getting frustrated with Rosen's book. Rosen's book is widely used but it makes you feel like you are climbing a rocky slope. But with this book it is more like climbing a staircase. Each concept is introduced and explained in such a way that your progress is pretty smooth and gradual.

It doesn't jump from ridiculously easy questions to extremely hard questions. After each section you get a nice set of questions that really reinforces what you have just learned. It doesn't throw questions that need knowledge of other topics that you haven't even reached.

For me this is the best book on the subject.

Tigex Bath Support - Aqua
Tigex Bath Support - Aqua

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 29 April 2010
Used it with our baby. It has been really helpful. He is now getting a bit too big for this but it has been useful for many months and it is still like new. I would recommend it to anyone.

7dayshop Memory - USB Flash Drive - 16GB - FAST 135x - Blue Capless Swivel
7dayshop Memory - USB Flash Drive - 16GB - FAST 135x - Blue Capless Swivel

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 29 April 2010
It arrived today and I just tested it with a USB drive tester software.
I can't see anything wrong with it. write speed is around 9Mb/s and read speed is around 16.5MB/s.
So over all this is a decent product I would say

Essential ActionScript 3.0
Essential ActionScript 3.0
by Colin Moock

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 'user manual' for actoinscript 3, 6 Sept. 2007
This is indeed a carefully prepared,well written book for people who want to work with actionscript 3. I already have some experience with both Flash 8 and actionscript 2 before reading this. But I can see that the author has taken the trouble to make sure that people who are completely new to programing will be comfortable with this book. Lot's of authors just promise 'this book assumes no prior knowledge' in the preface and by the time you reach chapter 1 the promise is broken. But this is one of those rare tech books where the author keeps the promise.
But that doesn't mean it is just a beginner's 'quick start' guide. Although I have flash and AS 2 experience (and lots of programing experience with Java etc - and as a result I ended up skimming through quite a lot of stuff) this was a very useful guide to help me get started with Action script 3. I would recommend it for anyone who wants to work with AS3. But if you already have some programing experience and don't have the patience to sit and read for long then the Actionscript 3 cookbook (Joey Lott ) may give you a faster start. It uses a purely 'hands on' approach from the start. So that may be worth a look especially if you don't need a detailed introduction to programing. But it might be a tough job choosing between the two books. I am using them both and if you have the money that's what I would suggest - buy them both!

Sams Teach Yourself Macromedia Flash 8 in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself Macromedia Flash 8 in 24 Hours
by Phillip Kerman

5.0 out of 5 stars This one deserves six stars, 2 May 2006
I have first used an older edition book a long time ago when Flash was on version 5. And it gave me a beautiful introduction to the subject. But then for a long time I have neglected Flash and forgotten most of the stuff I learned. So now when I wanted to get back to Flash I wanted to buy an up-to-date book. And for me the choice was obvious - It has to be this one. Philip Kerman is not only a Flash expert but also an excellent teacher. He is a master of the art of teaching I think. Learning Flash with his book is a pleasure. And throughout the book in addition to teaching how to do almost everything with Flash he also shares lots of little tips and tricks and expert advice. I also have one of Macomedia's own books (Flash tutorial) But nothing comes even close to this one.

Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
by Bryan Basham

4.0 out of 5 stars Where is the 4.5 star option?, 26 April 2006
Headfirst books are like marmite - people either love it or hate it. I have met people who say the Headfirst books are the best they have seen on the planet and THE way to prepare for java certification. And then there are others who say they are crap because they waste too much space and time with stupid jokes. I have done both programmer and developer certification but so far I have stayed away from Headfirst. Nothing personal. They just didn't seem right for me. And I started preparing for the Web component exam with Marty Hall's book. (An excellent book indeed!) But Although Marty's book is great (And in some ways better than this one) He is focused on giving a very practical guide to the world of servlets and JSPs. But the authors of this one really want to help you get through the exam. So if you are after the exam this one is indeed the better book. I started reading this one after finishing a little more than half of Marty's book and now I wish I had started with this instead. (By the way I did buy the Manning (Hanumant Deshmukh) book before this one while I was holidaying in India but after coming back I read all those angry reviews for the second edition and not to touch it!)

The plus points are

The explanations are very clear and very logical

100% focused on the exam

Quite a lot of questions and answers

Easy to read

The only negative point is you waste a lot of time because of all the funny 'head first' stuff. I agree it is a matter of taste. I was a fan of the 'C for dummies' once upon a time. But now reading a techie book is not my idea of fun (unless it is written by Dan Gookin maybe). So I am not so amused when they give advice about Herbal Decaff tea and stuff. Some of their jokes make me laugh but I feel I could finish this book a lot quicker if they take away all this stuff. They could have added more review questions instead of those I think.

But over all this is the best I could find for the exam.

Java Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Java Developers (One-Off)
Java Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Java Developers (One-Off)
by Ian F. Darwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Genie in a book, 12 Feb. 2004
I bought this book a long time back while holidaying in Sri Lanka thinking that it might have 'a few useful recipes'. And after a few months when I actually decided to sit down and do some java coding to prepare for the Sun's developer certification exam I realized the true value of this book. This book may not turn you into a "Java almighty". But it takes you as close as you can get to that. Don't get me wrong. If you know nothing about java this book is not going to be a great introduction to the language. But if you know the basics then this can do to you - in programming terms - what that fairy did to Cinderella. Trust me I have seen an awful lot of Java books. I very rarely get so excited about a book on programming. Just buy it.

Viking 256MB Compact Flash
Viking 256MB Compact Flash

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 8 Jan. 2004
I am using this with a digital comera(canon Powershot G3)
I was a bit reluctant to buy this as the price looks suspicously cheap. But once I started using it I realized how great this product is. I have also used the more expensive canon card and I don't see any difference in quality or performance. If you're wondering which CF card to buy your search is over. This is it!

Fuji 512MB Secure Digital Card
Fuji 512MB Secure Digital Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 18 Dec. 2003
I am using it with the Garmin IQue 3600 PDA with built in GPS navigation system.
The card is certainly reliable and the speed is OK. I haven't tried any other card so I can't say exactly how good the speed is compared to others. It does take a while (a few minutes) to load heavy map files (more than a 100MB) from the computer to the card using the PDA. But it works fine when using it in the PDA for in car navigation (when it reads maps from the card and displays on screen ) and for playing and recording Audio. So I have no regrets about buying this