Profile for Braddan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Inov8 Trailroc 245 Trail Running Shoes (Standard Fit) - 8
Inov8 Trailroc 245 Trail Running Shoes (Standard Fit) - 8
Offered by SportsShoes Unlimited

1.0 out of 5 stars No idea how so many people find Inov8 so wonderful!, 8 April 2015
typical Inov8 fit for me. Too low, too narrow. Thought i'd try these as I have avoided Inov8 for so long and wanted to see if they had developed their fit. No luck. No idea how so many people find Inov8 so wonderful!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2015 10:05 PM BST

Sri Lanka rkh r/v (r) wp GPS
Sri Lanka rkh r/v (r) wp GPS
by Reise Know-How Verlag GmbH
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent map - exactly as hoped for - a perfect, 8 April 2015
This review is from: Sri Lanka rkh r/v (r) wp GPS (Map)
Excellent map - exactly as hoped for - a perfect, hard wearing accompaniment to our trip. So nice to have names and locations to point to when asking directions :)

New Balance Minimus Zero v2, Men's Trail Running Shoes
New Balance Minimus Zero v2, Men's Trail Running Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent all terrain shoe, 8 April 2015
An excellent all terrain shoe. Very aggressive grip that retains comfort due to its softness and sheds the stickiest of mud well. Have used extensively in thick Cotswold mud and find grip climbing and descending equal to if not better than previous favorites (Saloman / La Sportiva). I am an experienced mountain runner and while I am yet to take these on their inaugural trip I am confident they will perform exceptionally. Slightly wide around the ankles but partly due to my skinny ankles (easily adjusted by using top lace eyelets), excellent roomy toe box with reasonable protection and (so far) no indication of splitting despite apparently lightweight construction. Very comfortable over long distance, drain quickly when wet and dry quickly post run. Clean up well with a quick blast from the hose. Currently totaling approx 50 miles and stoked to have finally found my perfect shoe. I will be buying another pair!

Songs For Creatures
Songs For Creatures
Offered by dischiniccoli

2.0 out of 5 stars If you came to buy this because you loved the 1996 Essential Mix, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Songs For Creatures (Audio CD)
If you came to buy this because you loved the 1996 Essential Mix, then I wouldn't bother. As background music its acceptable but that's about it. I'm not a serial bad reviewer but I was so disappointed with this miserable blandness that I wanted to help others avoid the same mistake.

You know all that deep rich, upbeat content in their mix? Not in the cd.

As for 'keeping you guessing' as written by another reviewer... nothing to guess. Electronic mediocrity - averagely entertaining.

Voted "dance album of the year by Mojo" - really? This is music to slowly die to not dance to!
"The dancefloor fightback starts here" by NME... God knows whats being fought.. if its a slug on temazepam then this album may - and only may - have a chance.

Mountain Equipment Ultralite Bivi 1 Man, Red
Mountain Equipment Ultralite Bivi 1 Man, Red

3.0 out of 5 stars UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE BUYING, 25 Mar. 2014
This is a survival bag for emergency use. If the advertiser is not displaying the information correctly then it is certainly their error but this is essentially a foil bag (think of foil blankets given out after a 1/2 marathon or marathon). It is designed to keep you warm in the event that you are stranded in severe conditions. It is for emergencies, not for general overnight use. For £15.00 this is an excellent potential lifesaver (I always carry the SOL equivalent when mountain running) But it is NOT a breathable overnight solution for regular use.

Music Angel Friendz Universal Portable Stereo Rechargeable Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Players/PC/MAC - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers Good!, 17 Jan. 2014
Well chuffed with this. Great design / build quality. Sound quality is exceptional for something this size and is loud enough to be seriously antisocial. Approx 1/2 volume is plenty for general listening. Despite all great reviews I was skeptical when purchasing... no need - its as good as reviews state. This is a gem of a product - forget all the others...oh and compared to the cute little pop up type speakers - this kicks out way more. Guaranteed success as tweenager gift. No more tinny audio direct from the phone - this conveniently sized, long lasting addition to your paraphernalia can upset an entire park or fastfood restaurant or previously pleasant viewpoint with in no time at all by playing questionable music at antisocial levels with no care for those around. Congratulations MAF, you have created the modern ghetto blaster!

La Sportiva Anakonda Trail Running Shoes - AW15 - 8
La Sportiva Anakonda Trail Running Shoes - AW15 - 8

2.0 out of 5 stars Anakonda disappoints, 27 Jun. 2013
I am a fairly experienced ultra runner having competed in multiple mountain marathon and ultra trail events and have previously run in La Sportivas Crosslite and Crosslite XC as well as Salomans S Lab Fell Cross. As my feet have strengthened and gained stability and my run mechanics have adjusted to a higher cadence and lighter footfall I have come to love the very minimal Crosslite XC and hoped to find the Anakonda would be a suitable replacement.

Sadly it is not.

Pros:

Light
Comfortable (50 miles of lakeland trail completed 'out the box' with no issues)
So grippy (even on wet rock La Sportivas ultra sticky sole compound - available on other models - blows other brands away)

But Now...

Cons:

very baggy around ankle - shoe lacks structure and gapes as foot flexes (this was not a lacing error) a scree descent left my shes full of debris - traversing through heather / bracken = similar results. I have not experienced this issue to this degree with any other shoe.
No stowage for laces - a small detail but makes all the difference - why have laces flapping and getting caught when they don't need to.
Roving tongue - I have never experienced this before but the tongue moves all over the place and ends up completely over one side.

Would I buy again - no
Would I recommend - no

UPDATE

I decided to persevere and wore these for my recent UTLD 105 mile race. Safe to say I am unlikely to wear these again other than for short races and even then only to get my money's worth. The above 'cons' continued and I was dismayed to find that as my feet swelled the re-inforcing lining the inside of the heel completely rubbed through my socks before eating into my heel after approx 40 miles. Again this is something I have never experienced in many miles of running in a wide variety of shoe types.

With the Anakonda and its predecessor the Xlite Xcountry, La Sportiva have all the ingredients of the perfect shoe. Sadly the best ingredients were left on the shelf and (with the exception of an excellent sole) the result is a failure.

Outwell - Collaps Bowl M
Outwell - Collaps Bowl M
Offered by Springfield Camping Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bowls, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Outwell - Collaps Bowl M (Sports)
My wife and I are both fans of minimal camping as we travel by motorcycle and I compete in long distance, self sufficient races. We both have huge appetites and have found many collapsible solutions either too flimsy or too small. These are perfect. Very tough (admittedly slightly heavier than some) and plenty large enough for a hearty meal after a long days travel / exercise - not to mention cheaper than many other solutions. The hard base also makes a neat surface for chopping when the bowl is flattened if required. Highly recommended.

TRIXES Universal Carbon Look Spine Motorcycle Tank Protector Protection Pad
TRIXES Universal Carbon Look Spine Motorcycle Tank Protector Protection Pad
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars So good for the money, 24 Sept. 2012
Its not carbon - no surprise... but looks suitably like carbon that you wouldn't know without a close inspection.

I used a little de-greaser (chain cleaner) to clean the area I was due to apply it to and it stuck like a four letter word of your choice.

Yet to ride with it but i doubt it will be coming off in a hurry.

For the money you wont find better.

The Tao of Travel: Enlightenments from Lives on the Road
The Tao of Travel: Enlightenments from Lives on the Road
by Paul Theroux
Edition: Bonded Leather

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissapointing, 24 Sept. 2012
The combination of the title, format and author combined to tempt me to this purchase.

Sadly I wish I had saved the money.

Rather than being the interesting collection of witty excerpts cleverly compiled and interlinked with insightful commentary that I had anticipated it is simply a dull catalog of travel drivel that as far as I could tell had no emotional commitment from Mr PT. If pushed i would suggest one or more editors simply pulled a bunch of acclaimed travel writers literature together, threw darts to select paragraphs and the passed to Mr PT to approve, which he sadly did.

The only book I have not finished :(