Profile for Donny > Reviews

This Savage Land
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kings of this savage land, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: This Savage Land (Audio CD)
I have been waiting a very long time to find a band worthy of succeeding the mighty Motörhead and I think the Black Spiders are it.

There are lots of bands who might attempt to say that, or may have attempted to be that, but Black Spiders are the real deal having everything that has made MH amazing over the years...it is heavy, hook-laden, fast and loud, British rock and roll.

This sort of music can so easily become dull and one-dimensional with the same old tired riffs again and again but Black Spiders have a nice combo of slightly bluesy stoner rock(?) and good old fashion heavy drinking rock and roll.

If you are thinking of giving them a try get this record first as it is a good place to start (if you listen to and love 'Balls' don't hesitate to get this) but you will not be even slightly disappointed by the first album if you chose that instead.

I hope they do a massive UK tour soon.

Eye Of The Storm
Eye Of The Storm
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a massive fan of The Haunted and i don't mean fat....although I am fat., 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Eye Of The Storm (MP3 Download)
I have never understood why mainstream success has eluded them with many metalheads claiming they had gone stale or turned ‘commercial’ while to me the total opposite was true, they have just been mixing things up and keeping it fresh.

I was gutted when I heard they had combusted and so very pleased when I heard they had reformed and while a big pull for me has/had always been Pete’s attitude and vocals (he has an amazing voice) I am super happy Marco is back.

As for the tracks they are excellent and have a bit of everything I love about the band; harsh vocals, crunchy guitars lots of pounding repeated rhythms and a little bit of melody so common of the, now seemingly ancient, Gothenburg thrash sound. As the other reviewer mentioned, and unsurprisingly I guess, it sounds a bit like ‘Made me do it’.

If you like anything The Haunted have ever done don’t hesitate, even for a second, get this as the price is cheap for all three tracks. If you have never really heard of The Haunted and not heard them before (I envy you) this is as good a place
to start as any.

From Beer To Eternity (Ltd. Digi)
From Beer To Eternity (Ltd. Digi)
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Experience a world of freshness, 13 Nov 2013
I can't stop listening to this. It is not Al at his boundary pushing best but it is for my money classic Ministry. If your image of the ideal Ministry album is Psalm 69 I think you might find on the face of it that this is a dis-jointed musical challenge but if you have found something to enjoy in everything Ministry, like me, then this will grow on you fast.

It is sample heavy and that will no doubt have the `bUt iTs pRo-TOoLs!' crowd out against it and it is being promoted as the `last album' that will steam some people up (because whoever heard of a band releasing and promoting albums to make money, the cheek) but really it is the content that matters and in this Al is still at his blunt and uncompromising best...besides the samples are great.

If you are at all unsure give it a listen and if you think `Side F/X' is a work of genius go and get the whole album, if you find yourself wishing it would end then this album is probably best avoided.

The Ltd digi has two remixes that are both ok but as usual not really worth it if you have to pay way more to get hold of. One final thought, I really liked Relapse (last album) which was a lot more straight forward but maybe not as rewarding in the long run.

12oz Kid Kanteen Classic Brushed Stainless Sport Cap 3.0 Green
12oz Kid Kanteen Classic Brushed Stainless Sport Cap 3.0 Green
Offered by UK Outdoor Store
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More expensive than most but worth the money., 31 Oct 2013
Pros:
Stainless Steel, so feel free to put anything you want in it, as long as you clean it our well it will last forever.
Not large at all so it is easy to clean even without a bottle brush.
With the featured cap it is much easier to unscrew than some.
Has a watertight seal, you will not lose a drop.
Sports cap does the job.

Cons:
Stainless Steel, so don't go putting any hot liquids in it as it will get very hot, very quickly.
The steel also makes it heavier than some flasks, not an issue for me but maybe for the weight conscious camper.
Didn't get a choice on the cap colour - although these caps are universal so you could buy another one.
They are expensive compared to other brands but I would say 100% worth it.

Although 'for kids' if you wanted something small (about the size of a 700ml coke bottle) then this may suit you. For camping it would probably be better to get a larger capacity one.

Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track
Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track
Price: 15.35

5.0 out of 5 stars All my limbs flew off..., 11 Oct 2013
The first time Carcass were about I was too busy sorting my Lego to have heard them so no `not as good as...' baggage from me.

It is obvious listening to this that a lot of bands have and continue to be influenced by Carcass, this means that this might sound a bit familiar to some in places and it was this that initially put me off. However, this is not the bands fault and in fact the style of musicianship on display here being a tad old school is great to hear and seems to show they are confident enough to not push things for the sake of it thus producing a very precise excellently produced record.

Although very metal the riffs and breakdowns are actually rather rocky and not too dissimilar to Arch Enemy (not surprising that really) and while I can see how a fan of yore may be put off by this as a listener of recent Black Metal I really enjoyed it after giving it the time.

I reviewed the record because it has been out a while and only has a handful of reviews which is sad for a such great British band (this alone is amazing) with such a wonderful return. Favourite song `316l', most catchy song `Thrasher's Abattoir', biggest grower `Intensive battery Brooding', typical track `The Master Butcher's Apron', one I play to unconvinced friends 'Mount Of Execution'.

As a final thought...what amazing cover art huh?

Phantom Antichrist [Limited Cd+dvd]
Phantom Antichrist [Limited Cd+dvd]
Price: 10.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Woah!, 12 Oct 2012
I love the album so much I had to comment.

First...don't expect anything new, it follows the last few releases doggedly and don't be expecting a 80s throwback either, this album is fast, fresh and thrash all over.

Second...there are plenty of influences both new and old on show but the band have been around long enough to create their own unique style, the vocals being the most obvious reference point, and while elements may seem a bit naff don't be fooled Kreator do metal with sincerity.

The title track sets out their stall...rolling drums, galloping guitars, catchy shouting choruses and speedy solos. It doesn't let up and while the lyrics are all god, heaven, hell, evil, war, death and um...the environment, its not going to matter that much to you because you will be too busy smiling and kicking doors in...or whatever.

To sum up if you like thrash or any of the last 3 Kreator albums you have to get this it's fast, furious and highly accomplished. Be warned though don't go expecting skull crushingly heavy metal...think harmonious speed.

Apart from the title track check out `The Few, The Proud, The Broken' it's a good snapshot of the album and has the most amazing solo in the chorus...I love it and the best thing is to my ears Kreator are actually getting better and better.

I brought the standard edition so cannot comment on the DVD.

Batman: Cacophony
Batman: Cacophony
by Kevin Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars There are far better Batman books, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Batman: Cacophony (Paperback)
I own over 100 batman books, this is the worst.

It isn't the art, while there are dodgy panels, poor expressions, contorted bodies and a few ropy perspective shots it is still not that bad, I have seen worse.

It isn't the plot either which I think is clever, although done to death in superhero books, and the injection of new(ish) villains or the readjustment of existing ones is always good. I do not wish to unnecessary spoil the plot so I will leave it there.

The problem for me is the characterisation, it is like a mini-encyclopaedia with as many added references to cannon as possible chucking in every cliché about the character(s) along the way. When something new pops up it just feels out of place, like much of Batman's encounters with the Joker that all contain some cringe worthy dialog (this is even acknowledged in the preface which surely makes it worse).

There are some startlingly off character moments on both sides, an awful act at the start leads Batman to the edge but a far more heinous act later on is easily brushed off by all involved. Meanwhile Batman's gallant forgiving attitude afterward may be what we expect from the character but the means and method beggars belief even in his universe unless Bruce has gone insane with Joker love.

It ends up like a poor man's Killing Joke with a subplot of `I am light, you are dark' and `I exist because you do' that has been done to death in the movies and just detracts from the plot and the new (to batman) character.

There are a couple of plus points; the script is a nice addition as is the variant covers and the actual covers are great (by Adam Kubert) but really don't buy this unless you're a completist (or it is very cheap) there are far better Batman books.

In Waves [Special Edition]
In Waves [Special Edition]
Price: 18.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality In Waves, 15 Aug 2011
First reviewer pretty much said it all...but despite some great metal so far this year not a lot of it has had that 'kick your face off' quality that In Waves totally does, so I had to do a quick review...no track-by-track here

As a day 1 Trivium fan I was biased from the start, so this album not moving too far in any direction from the Trivium template had me hooked instantly...if the heavily plugged title track is not your thing...don't worry there are at least another 6 tracks you will love.

Fast, energetic, tuneful...aggressive when it has to be with lots to enjoy and headbang along with up front but plenty more to like on repeat and repeat and repeat listens.

If you like anything Trivium ever did you should get this, it is arguably their best yet! Two other points...I have never cared what lineup a band has you shouldn't either...and as Ltd editions go this is really good with a great DVD, although I would say not worth if you have to pay a whole lot more.

Unseen (Standard Version)
Unseen (Standard Version)
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and almost as good as the Ltd version, 20 Jun 2011
I already reviewed the Special/Ltd edition version (with a silver cover) so in brief, this is the standard version with 12 tracks (same order starting with 'Never Better' and ending with 'Done'). The Ltd edition contains three extra tracks; one bonus track `Attention' and two great quality live tracks; `The Reflection' and `The Fallout' (from the album `Dead Eye').

These extra tracks are awesome and a top end to the album, although not worth it if you have to pay way over the odds and you own Dead Eye already.

While I am here...listen to `Catch 22' and then for some contrast listen to `The City' if you like both of these just buy the album. The best album I got this year by a mile.

Unseen (Limited Edition)
Unseen (Limited Edition)
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Haunted made me get it again, 17 Jun 2011
From the moment I played this I loved it... I haven't listened to a band that had so many tracks with so many parts where I honestly couldn't think of anyone else doing it. Take the opening track `Never Better' to me this is classic Haunted it kicks you in the nuts from the off but wastes no time deviating from the tired thrash metal template and mixing it up in more ways than one.

I like the haunted for this very reason, they are adept at keeping things interesting and mixing the musical styles up, subtlety, but still remaining 100% them. Even here their influences are easy to spot (a little Tool on `Disappear', some In Flames on `Unseen' to name the most obvious) but they always remain unmistakably Haunted.

The best part of all...apart from the solid drumming, the awesome harmonious crunching guitars and the leading bass (so many bands bury the bass, the haunted don't)...the best part is the vocals Peter's voice is all over the place...but the quality never drops...I swear there are moments when it sounds like the Cure and some of the quiet harmonies are very Beatles-esq.

While tracks like `Motionless', 'The City', `Them' are in a similar territory to their `Dead Eye' album...on the upbeat ultra-accessible side of thrash, there are heavy moments where The Haunted are being as brutal as they have ever been...'The Skull', `Attention' and a sort of Southern dipped `No Ghost'.
Some may try and peg this album as Haunted `Lite' but it simply isn't true there are just as many thrash-tastic parts to it as there have ever been and made even more exciting by being juxtaposed by more light-touch moments. It is unique in the best way possible.

I have a handful of bands who I can honestly say have never done a bad album...The Haunted are right on the top of that list and the fact only 3 people have reviewed this album after such a long time is criminal.

If you have never heard the Haunted and you like it heavy check out `One Kill Wonder' first, if you like it more plain sailing try `Dead Eye' if you want something in-between try this...if you're a Haunted fan then you should own this already.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2011 8:27 PM BST