Profile for mike32514 > Reviews

Content by mike32514

mike32514 "mike32514" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Hauppauge WINTV MINISTICK HIGH SENSITIVITY DIGITALTV TUNER UK 00294 Components TV Cards
Price: 31.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 19 Dec 2007
Initially I gave this a 1 star rating, since it hung my system (XP) whenever I tried to install it. I have since discovered that the Nvidia graphics card drivers I had were causing the freeze - which also affected AVI files. I upgraded to the latest drivers from Nvidia's site and now everything works fine. It picked up all 64 channels through a shared coaxial cable and displays them without glitches. It records happily enough on a 2.4 Athlon, though it's best to keep the number of background processes running to a minimum. Playback quality is above VHS - around what you'd expect from XLP DVD (6 hrs per disk) and it uses around 2GB per hour of recording. I've put it through an HDMI socket in the TV via a DVi to HDMI converter which keeps a scart free. Overall, it's a cheap way of watching TV and if you have an old PC, buying a 200GB hard disk for 50 will give you a 100 hour digital video recorder for peanuts...

Road To Rouen
Road To Rouen
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A Big Disappointment, 15 Aug 2005
This review is from: Road To Rouen (Audio CD)
I love Supergrass. And I'm not just talking about the early stuff. Alright is alright, but there are some truly stunning tracks on the two albums prior to Road to Rouen. Eon and Faraway are amongst my favourites, so when I heard this new album was more 'grown-up', I couldn't wait to hear it.
Unfortunately it's a big disappointment. St Petersberg is a fine track, as is Roxy (by far the best song on the album), but the dire title track sounds like a Yes b side played by Level 42, Coffee in the Pot is pure filler and would usually be found as track 3 on a CD single.
Tales of Endurance starts promisingly, but never really gets going while the last three tracks shuffle off into ignominity and before you know it the album is finished.
I hope the same can't be said of Supergrass - they have produced some brilliant music, and I hope they will again. Perhaps the fact that this album is only 30 minutes long and took 2 years to make lends weight to the suspicion that the band are having trouble putting good songs together. Whatever the problem is, I'm sure they'll sort it out and fans will look back on this album as the one turkey any great band can be forgiven..

Intel Celeron D Processor 325 - 2.53 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 256 KB L2 Cache
Intel Celeron D Processor 325 - 2.53 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 256 KB L2 Cache

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Cheap - What More Could You Want?, 27 May 2005
Anything would seem fast after spending the last few years in the slow lane with my old Celeron 400, but this chip really does fly. The lab tests I've seen suggest it outperforms Athlons of similar clock speed and I wouldn't feel like arguing with that. It's all apparantly down to the doubling of cache size(up to 256Kb from the previous Celeron's 128Kb) and uprated bus speed of 533Mhz from 400Mhz.
I have it running alongside 512Mb Ram and XP, and it copes happily with anything I've tried so far. Video editing is quick and stutter free, while encoding takes about a tenth of the time it used to.
It uses the 478 pin socket, so is upgradable to 533Mhz pentium 4's if I ever need more power. Overall, this chip is something of a rarity: a genuine bargain!

Page: 1 | 2