Profile for gibbons > Reviews

Churchill: A Biography
Churchill: A Biography
by Roy Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Like watching his life from across the room..., 14 Sep 2004
This review is from: Churchill: A Biography (Paperback)
Without a great knowledge of other biographies on Churchill this review could be considered somewhat one dimensional. In my opinion it is excellent, and the most important thing this book brought to me is that by the time I had finished it I felt like I had lived my life alongside Churchill, so thorough was the capture of the timeline of his life. There is the odd problem, my main disagreement is the quick dismissal of Churchills wife, she lived through nearly everything he did and yet upon his death there is no further mention of her life and welfare. I read one review mentioning that The Wilderness Years is not the most exciting part of the book, but it serves to highlight the unbridled ambition of many politicians in that they feel their careers are a borne of a higher calling, so they must persevere when times are difficult so they may attain power once again.
You will be saddened when you reach the end of the book, you will wish this man was immortal, but then again he might not be revered as much in our time if he were, we would take him for granted like the postwar electorate initially did. This book is wonderfully written, but Mr Jenkins, not everyone knows what the Dardanelles is! I suppose it will inspire me to further reading.

Premiers Symptomes
Premiers Symptomes
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Correction, 24 Feb 2004
This review is from: Premiers Symptomes (Audio CD)
The previous reviewer makes a few errors, this was made prior to Moon Safari, it was a combination of previous songs and releases. If anything Zero 7 took their sound from this and Moon Safari, the time difference between releases of debut records was about 4 years, in favour of Air. And most importantly, this album is a purer version of the Air sound. Some of the songs on this mini album are not just breathtaking but absolutely of a time that never existed and you know you are listening to something important. It is hard to make a listener feel like they do when they hear this record. Buy this album if you want a less sugary dose of Moon Safari. It is beautiful. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Creative Jukebox Zen NX
Creative Jukebox Zen NX

4.0 out of 5 stars Great...with exceptions, 18 Dec 2003
It is hard not to be bowled over by such a classy piece of kit. But as with everything you have to weigh the promise against the reality. Little problems, Im not convinced about the battery life and there is no cover for the USB port...watch out for the fluff in your pocket. It looks great and feels fairly light, and the sound is very well rounded with a pair of Sennheiser headphones. However if you just want to find a few tracks to listen to it will take some time building playlists. It is not an easy machine to browse through. The scroll wheel selector isn't as responsive as it could be and you can often end up either selecting something you don't want or not selecting something you do just because it doesn't respond how you want it to.
The case is metal and shiny and visually it won me over. I just think that it should be more user friendly. It is small but not overly compact, there is a trade off against smaller players with less memory that will fit into your pocket without leaving a massive bulge or a sagging coat. When purchasing this machine please do consider what you want. If you want access to most of your music collection on the move and on a whim then get it, but if you want something more mobile, compact and user friendly then get something with a smaller memory...less to search through! Overall great, and brilliant for the price. Oh and one big bonus, you can buy extra rechargeable batteries for it!!!

Ophelia
Ophelia

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Tigerlily, that takes a lot., 25 Mar 2003
This review is from: Ophelia (Audio CD)
I don't know where to start, I have hundreds of albums but this is in my top 5. Yes I know everything is personal to everyone and it is all relative, but I defy anyone not to be washed out to sea with the powerful tones of the opener Ophelia, and what follows.
I am loathed to mention every song because people should find out for themselves but I have to mention Frozen Charlotte as one other reviewer has done. The two most beautiful voices you will ever hear will simultaneously set your soul free and chain your heart to the ground. If you didn't have a broken heart you do now.
I wish everyone could listen to this album, not only to demonstrate how good music can be but to make a corner of your life, maybe a little darker but also a lot more beautiful. Worth so much more than the purchase price, I wish all music was this intelligent, heartbreaking and beautifully rendered.

Page: 1 | 2