Profile for H. Poole > Reviews

Content by H. Poole

H. Poole (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Poor Economics: Barefoot Hedge-fund Managers, DIY Doctors and the Surprising Truth about Life on less than $1 a Day
by Abhijit Banerjee

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and varied, 11 Sep 2013
This book was an accompaniment to a course I was doing online and it was a very interesting read and a good introduction to the topics we studied. It covers a number of different issues giving a very helpful overview, insight and also specific case studies. If you are interested in development work, with an emphasis on economics, then this is a must-read, but is also a springboard for further reading on this topic.

God Is Closer Than You Think: This Can Be the Greatest Moment of Your Life Because This Moment Is the Place Where You Can Meet God
by John Ortberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Very encouraging and interesting book, 11 Sep 2013
I found this book very helpful for me at the time of reading and I will definitely be reading it again in the future. It gives positive, pro-active ways of discovering God's presence and impact on our lives and it really encouraged me to remember we are all unique and that we experience God in different ways.

Fingerprints of Fire, Footprints of Peace: A Spiritual Manifesto from a Jesus Perspective
by Noel Moules

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, challenging and very interesting, 11 Sep 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and discussing it with a group of others who were also reading it at the same time. It raises many questions, thoughts and debates. It has helped me to develop my ideas on some topics and opened up new ideas on others, while on others still there are points I would disagree with. It's a great book and I recommend people read it as part of a reading group as the issues raised and topics covered lend themselves to hearty discussion.

Japan by Rail, 3rd: Includes Rail Route Guide and 27 City Guides
Japan by Rail, 3rd: Includes Rail Route Guide and 27 City Guides
by Ramsey Zarifeh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for train travel, not others, 11 Sep 2013
This book was incredibly useful for the train aspect of my trip to Japan but it was seriously lacking in information about the places I visited. I wish I had bought a different Japan travel guide, not one concentrating on rail travel, as I often wanted to know things about a place and the book had little to offer.

Emma [DVD]
Emma [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely adaptation of a classic, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
There are various versions of Emma, both in film and television series, and while I don't know that this one is significantly better than any of the others, it was a very enjoyable watch and I recommend it, even if you already know the story.

Diary of an A-Lister
Diary of an A-Lister
by C. L. Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, romance, glitz and more, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Diary of an A-Lister (Paperback)
With characters you immediately become interested in and a plot that keeps you wanting more, Diary of an A-lister is a fun read. It follows the loves and lives of a group of young people entering the world of showbiz with all the glitz and glamour but also trials and challenges that that life entails. This is a great first novel and I'm already looking forward to reading the next instalment in what will hopefully be a whole series by C.L. Scott. Like the Twilight series, Diary of an A-lister would appeal to both older teen and adult audiences alike.

Redeeming Love
Redeeming Love
by Francine Rivers

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and moving, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful story giving an allegory of God's love for us, of his forgiveness time and again. It's a real page turner and beautiful love story.

Iomega Prestige USB 2.0, 500GB Portable Compact Hard Drive
Iomega Prestige USB 2.0, 500GB Portable Compact Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect compact storage, 1 Sep 2011
This portable hard drive really is portable. It's so easy to carry coz it's so light and small but it definitely has plenty of memory for all the photos, music, documents that I want stored on it. No complaints at all so far.

Trans-Siberian Railway (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides)
Trans-Siberian Railway (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides)
by Simon Richmond

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet - Good as Always, 13 May 2011
As a long-term Lonely-Planet fan I instinctively bought this when planning my Trans-Siberian trip. Although reading other reports it seems the Trailblazer version is a fraction better (it has more photos!) I actually can't see a huge difference myself between the two - I bought both to compare! Either one would really be sufficient, so if you like Lonely Planet, stick with the comfortable format and style. For a bit more detail and info then the Trailblazer is probably better. They are almost the same size and weight so no benefit there for either one. All this is said before going on the trip itself, so the conclusion may be dicisive at the other end.

New Inside Out Pre-intermediate: Teacher's Book and Test CD (Teachers Book Pack)
by Sue Kay

3.0 out of 5 stars Half and half, 13 May 2011
The communication activities at the back of the book are excellent and are the reason I bought the book. The rest of the book, although giving a couple of new ideas and some interesting little cultural details, actually doesn't really tell me anything new about how to teach the classes. So a big bulk of the book goes unused by me, but I still think the resources at the end are worth it.

Page: 1 | 2