ARRAY(0xab4726d8)

Profile for D. Bloomfield > Reviews

Content by D. Bloomfield

D. Bloomfield "a music fan" (coventry)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Aftermath (Here We Go)
Aftermath (Here We Go)
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Aude does Vince Clarke..., 5 April 2014
I love the song - very uplifting and Vince Clarke-ish! I expected the three songs to be different mixes. What you get are a radio edit, slightly longer edit and what I think is the full length version. Strange. I still feel it's 5 star value. Enjoy.

Down Like Gold
Down Like Gold
Price: 8.24

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 pieces of gold, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Down Like Gold (Audio CD)
Put simply, this album is beautiful. I bought this after hearing Too Bright To Shine on BBC 6Music and kept my fingers crossed that the rest of the album was as good (YouTube had videos for Savannah and My Spirit Is Broken and I liked these too).

This album is delicate in the right places, stomping where it needs to be and melancholic throughout without being slimy or gushing.
The album lilts down then up and down and back up again - this is great as I've found many albums follow section themes quick then slow; this album is more slow-quick-quick-slow.

Well done Champs, Down Like Gold is pure gold.

Make It Wonderful
Make It Wonderful
Price: 5.85

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Make It Wonderful (Audio CD)
This CD could have been made wonderful if other Snowglobe tracks had been mixed too. 8 mixes of 1 track is just killing music. Mixes of Loving Man and Bells Of Love would have been great. And that's the problem with this CD: you end up half-way through begging for something different. Lazy.

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [DVD] [1977]
Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Mark Hamill
Price: 12.75

4.0 out of 5 stars They aren't the originals!, 31 Dec 2013
PLEASE BE AWARE I AM REVIEWING 'STAR WARS: THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY' (THE THREE DISC SET WITH THE TORSO OF DARTH VADER WITH A RED LIT LIGHTSABER)

Call me a sentimental fool, or just a fool - as I'm sure many of you will after reading my review - but I truly believed that this three disc set held the 'original' trilogy i.e. the three original cinematic cuts viewed in 1977, 1980 and 1983.
It doesn't. They are the Special Edition (from 1997) with further added footage by George Lucas.

I was hopeful that he would one day release the original feature films cleaned up and ready for the HD market. I was wrong and should have read the reviews here.

The original films were classics - I have them all in their original form on VHS - and I still love these films but I feel a little bit of sick rise up into my mouth every time I see Han Solo with Jabba in the 'new' Star Wars...it doesn't feel right. Part of the excitement (for me) as a child was not knowing what these characters looked like or where they came from. A computer generated image of Jabba never quite worked in 1997 and with further tinkering it still doesn't work. Further added scenes like Luke meeting with Dak at the rebel base doesn't work - the scene is wooden and weak in my opinion and would surely have been one of the original reasons to leave it out. The long drive through Mos Eisley is pointless and looks computer generated. The computer generated 'extra' x-wing and y-wing fighters make the Death Star battle look more 'even' when surely the battle was about good overcoming evil through sheer will, not numbers.

As I say, I love the films and Star Wars is a 5 star film as is The Empire Strikes Back. The Return of the Jedi still doesn't know what it wants to be - a continuation of the darkness visited in Empire or a childrens comedy with the Ewoks, so I give it 3 stars.

I still keep my fingers crossed that Disney/Lucas may release the originals clean and crisp...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 4:44 AM GMT

Gaudete (Remixes)
Gaudete (Remixes)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Remix Rejoice, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Gaudete (Remixes) (MP3 Download)
The alternative version is excellent along with the Maps remix of Sleep Quietly, so is worth every penny for these alone.

I would have preferred remixes of other songs from the Snow Globe album to have made their way onto this - to create an E.P. - rather than the typical overkill of the lead track. This has seven versions (including the album/single version) which is overkill and the main reason one star is lost - especially as there is a 'vocal' and 'instrumental' mix by Razor N Guido!

The video is on the Christmas edition of TOTP tonight on BBC2 - a brilliant piece of work.

Snow Globe
Snow Globe
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A mix of the wonderful with a dab of the pap, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Snow Globe (MP3 Download)
Some presents are hugely welcome whilst others can leave a bad taste in your mouth. I remember as a child getting hold of my Christmas sack and rummaging through it getting all my presents out and being aghast at the brilliance of what Santa had brought me.

This album reminds me of those days - the anticipation of the wait coupled with the quality of the tracks. The problem with this album is that it also reminds me of the fruit and nuts that were at the bottom of my Christmas sack; dry nuts that were difficult to crack and satsumas that were tasteless and slightly 'off'.

The album really is an EP. Five newly penned tracks of which three are excellent and two are utter pap. Bells Of Love, Make It Wonderful and Loving Man are high quality Erasure and any of these three could be singles. The other two - Blood On The Snow and There'll Be No Tomorrow do absolutely nothing for me and would have been track three of a 12" record in the heady days of hit-after-hit in the 1980's and 1990's. Hell - Blood On The Snow wouldn't have even made the grade as track three.

The rest of the album is made up of Christmas classics done in the Erasure-Style. Some of these are astoundingly beautiful or quirky whilst others shouldn't be on an album... Gaudete is a brilliant piece of 16th Century Latin pop, Silent Night is an incredibly sparse and stunning piece of Vince Clarke re-imagining whilst Bleak Midwinter is synth-rejigged to almost spotless effect with all three tracks creating the right notes for Andy Bell's sweet and occasionally soaring vocals. Midnight Clear is fantastic if a little short whilst White Christmas took me a good few listens until I understood what they were trying to do with it - they've darkened it considerably. I'm lost as to why The Christmas Song has found its way onto this CD as it spoils the atmosphere though...

For me, this should have been a half-and-half - three or four new tracks, a re-working of She Won't Be Home and a re-vamped Home (from Chorus) on 'side 1' and five or six classics re-imagined in the Erasure style on 'side 2' rather than the eight we have here. I've re-ordered the tracks myself, added She Won't Be Home, Am I Right? and Home to the mix and removed the pap! You're welcome to do the same if you wish!

As an aside - the re-working of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen on the boxset is awesome and worth the massive amount of extra cash just for this version (plus the instrumental versions of Silent Night and White Christmas). Some of the synth work throughout is reminiscent of Vangelis at his very best.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 3:09 PM GMT

Gaudete
Gaudete
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Gaudete (MP3 Download)
We are in for a real Christmas treat from the new album if this is anything to go by!

This 16th century latin carol has been given a real Erasure darkness - beautiful and creative use of Andy's voice and rocking and rolling synth sounds from Vince. This is an awesome return to their pomp - I feel a 1988 Stop! tingle when listening to this - and I can't wait for the new album!

Bring on some chart success please!

The Lonely Night
The Lonely Night
Price: 2.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 25 April 2013
This review is from: The Lonely Night (MP3 Download)
Beautifully crafted by Moby and sung brilliantly by Mark Lanegan, this evokes feelings of sadness and pain and listening to the lyrics I get a shiver running up my spine - awesome. There is a religious/classical/gospel feeling running throughout the track that Moby often uses to great effect and does so again here. I don't know how Moby does it, but he appears to just get better and better. Catch the video too on Moby's website/youtube - awesome too.

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great soundtrack, 26 Mar 2013
The film is wonderful viewing. It follows the story of a young boy as he grows up in a small village where the local cinema (Paradiso) is the hive of local entertainment. We watch as the boy grows up and watch as the cinema and local needs change.

The music is beautiful and heartbreaking - as is the film. Great stuff!

6 x SWIDO Ultra Clear Screen Protector for Sony Xperia go - display protection ultraclear
Offered by Screen Protector Specialist
Price: 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and good quality, 26 Mar 2013
These are good quality screen protectors which will easily do the job. They arrived quickly too - an added bonus!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5