Profile for R&JGomersall > Reviews

R&JGomersall

Detectorists [DVD]
Detectorists [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mackenzie Crook

5.0 out of 5 stars Living in the Netherlands we don't all get to see these gems so have lent it to family who all enjoyed it., 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Detectorists [DVD] (DVD)
Very British quirky humour. Living in the Netherlands we don't all get to see these gems so have lent it to family who all enjoyed it.

Ivor The Engine The First Story
Ivor The Engine The First Story
by Oliver; Firmin, Peter (Illustrated By) Postgate

5.0 out of 5 stars A beloved book from my childhood, then from my ..., 11 Jan. 2015
A beloved book from my childhood, then from my two sons and a new copy for a grandchild. A lovely gentle story.

GPU Gems 3: Programming Techniques for High-Performance Graphics and General-Purpose Computation
by Hubert Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the quality, look at the price, 27 Nov. 2011
I have this in my wish list; it has been there several years, but I will not be paying over £1,000 for it. Unless someone wants to buy either of the earlier books at that price!

Bob G.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 1:39 PM BST

The American Civil War
The American Civil War
by John Keegan

5.0 out of 5 stars Explains military issues and events before and during the ACW, 21 May 2011
This review is from: The American Civil War (Paperback)
This is my first foray into the history of the American civil war (my usual haunt is WW1 and WW2 military history.) Having visited several sites of importance during a recent holiday to America, I decided to find out more about it, hence my purchase of this book.
I cannot comment on the academic accuracy of the contents, but for my wargaming interests it covered well how the conflict began, its military conduct and the overall progress and end of the war, with a short and interesting discussion of its legacy. The language is somewhat overextended in places (I prefer a more business-like use of language to the academic ability to construct sentences seeming to last for whole paragraphs), making it necessary to concentrate your attention to follow some of the arguments being expressed. There are twelve black and white maps and a selection of photographs.

Zitadelle: The German Offensive Against the Kursk Salient 4-17 July 1943
Zitadelle: The German Offensive Against the Kursk Salient 4-17 July 1943
by Mark Healy

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed background and information for the 'largest tank battle', 13 Nov. 2010
This book explains why the Zitadelle offensive came to become such an important element of the German eastern front strategy after the fall of Stalingrad and how its proposed objectives and resourcing became warped through external influences and political pressures. The Russian strategies and equipment are also discussed as a background to this. The progress of the battle is described in detail, with a final chapter providing a short, succint overview of the resultant costs and consequences. Appendices provide orders of battle of both sides, and performance information (with some colour plates in chapter 29) of aircraft, tank types and other weaponry for both. The book also contains many period black and white photographs of the people, equipment and battlefield.

It provides a wealth of information usable to wargamers and designers for this significant battle. Not being a military historian, I cannot comment on the accuracy of its contents, but its reasonings seem logical. My only 'complaint' is the small, light typeface used - but any larger would have resulted in a much larger and more unwieldy book.

Tank Battles in Miniature -2 Wargamers Guide to the Russian campaign 1941-1945
Tank Battles in Miniature -2 Wargamers Guide to the Russian campaign 1941-1945
by Bruce Quarrie

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but high price, 5 Aug. 2010
I bought a copy of this is the mid seventies, along with a mixture of other table-top rule books and a mixture of board wargames (DNO, WiEu etc). It is very impressive in its historical scope and its approach to wargaming Eastern Front combat. Nevertheless the price is amazingly high - my copy cost under £4! No I do not want to sell it...