Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for JGomersall > Reviews

Content by JGomersall

JGomersall

Page: 1 | 2
The Falling [DVD]
The Falling [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maxine Peake

3.0 out of 5 stars When you read a story or watch a film you should suspend belief and so I was pleased they didn't go in for a prolonged explanati, 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Falling [DVD] (DVD)
This is definitely worth watching once. I saw trailers for this film on a Dutch TV channel and so I bought it expecting it might be similar to Hanging rock and Passage to India only set in a girl's school; it does indeed have similarities to these two stories but with enough differences. When you read a story or watch a film you should suspend belief and so I was pleased they didn't go in for a prolonged explanation of why things happened. So, on the whole a pleasant evening's viewing.

A Touch of Cloth Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] [2012]
A Touch of Cloth Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ John Hannah

4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly a hit, 17 May 2015
Whilst channel hopping I "caught" season 3 on a Dutch film channel and laughed all through it. It took about a minute to realise it was a spoof on all of the wonderful British detectives series that are so popular here. It is great fun and anarchic with the long walks to nowhere,talks about characters who you never see and the long suffering hardships of the main characters. I decided there and then to get the box set. So a week later I sat down and watched season one and loved the raw humour. It was a bit rude in places, but just acceptable. Next night, expecting to enjoy season 2 I was really disappointed for the humour wasn't' there and to be honest I was a bit bored. I've given it 4 stars but only for seasons 1 and 3. I'm not sure it's everyone's cuppa and I'm really intrigued to find out what Dutch viewers made of it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2015 4:53 PM BST

Puregadgets© Chameleon Butterfly Pop Up Tunnel Tent for Children / Kids / Boys / Girls - Easy to store, Hours of fun Indoor or Outdoor Garden
Offered by Electro World

4.0 out of 5 stars It's difficult to see who has the most fun with it as the two cats love playing hide ..., 11 Mar. 2015
We bought this for our toddler grandson. It's difficult to see who has the most fun with it as the two cats love playing hide and seek with him and a good game of chase is had by all three. It's not a toy that will be used for a long time but is useful for a short time for motor skills - and you can take some funny photos too.

Beasts - The Complete Series [DVD] [1976]
Beasts - The Complete Series [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Pamela Moiseiwitsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 11 Mar. 2015
This is how to tell a true horror story (stories) without the need for computer graphics or plastic models. Horror, after all, is all in the mind of the watcher. I really enjoyed these stories and it was fun to see actors such as Michael Kitchen and Pauline Quirke in early roles.

The Babadook [DVD]
The Babadook [DVD]
Dvd ~ Essie Davis
Offered by A2Z Entertains

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 11 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Babadook [DVD] (DVD)
I had read the great reviews written about this film and I was expecting so much. It was not going to be about zombies or vampires, which have been done to death - no pun intended. In the end I'm not sure what it was about and to be honest I didn't care. I have the impression that this film was better suited to young adults and not grandmothers ( but do I love the shining).

Detectorists [DVD]
Detectorists [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mackenzie Crook

5.0 out of 5 stars Living in the Netherlands we don't all get to see these gems so have lent it to family who all enjoyed it., 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Detectorists [DVD] (DVD)
Very British quirky humour. Living in the Netherlands we don't all get to see these gems so have lent it to family who all enjoyed it.

Ivor The Engine The First Story
Ivor The Engine The First Story
by Oliver; Firmin, Peter (Illustrated By) Postgate

5.0 out of 5 stars A beloved book from my childhood, then from my ..., 11 Jan. 2015
A beloved book from my childhood, then from my two sons and a new copy for a grandchild. A lovely gentle story.

GPU Gems 3: Programming Techniques for High-Performance Graphics and General-Purpose Computation
by Hubert Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the quality, look at the price, 27 Nov. 2011
I have this in my wish list; it has been there several years, but I will not be paying over £1,000 for it. Unless someone wants to buy either of the earlier books at that price!

Bob G.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 1:39 PM BST

The American Civil War
The American Civil War
by John Keegan

5.0 out of 5 stars Explains military issues and events before and during the ACW, 21 May 2011
This review is from: The American Civil War (Paperback)
This is my first foray into the history of the American civil war (my usual haunt is WW1 and WW2 military history.) Having visited several sites of importance during a recent holiday to America, I decided to find out more about it, hence my purchase of this book.
I cannot comment on the academic accuracy of the contents, but for my wargaming interests it covered well how the conflict began, its military conduct and the overall progress and end of the war, with a short and interesting discussion of its legacy. The language is somewhat overextended in places (I prefer a more business-like use of language to the academic ability to construct sentences seeming to last for whole paragraphs), making it necessary to concentrate your attention to follow some of the arguments being expressed. There are twelve black and white maps and a selection of photographs.

Zitadelle: The German Offensive Against the Kursk Salient 4-17 July 1943
Zitadelle: The German Offensive Against the Kursk Salient 4-17 July 1943
by Mark Healy

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed background and information for the 'largest tank battle', 13 Nov. 2010
This book explains why the Zitadelle offensive came to become such an important element of the German eastern front strategy after the fall of Stalingrad and how its proposed objectives and resourcing became warped through external influences and political pressures. The Russian strategies and equipment are also discussed as a background to this. The progress of the battle is described in detail, with a final chapter providing a short, succint overview of the resultant costs and consequences. Appendices provide orders of battle of both sides, and performance information (with some colour plates in chapter 29) of aircraft, tank types and other weaponry for both. The book also contains many period black and white photographs of the people, equipment and battlefield.

It provides a wealth of information usable to wargamers and designers for this significant battle. Not being a military historian, I cannot comment on the accuracy of its contents, but its reasonings seem logical. My only 'complaint' is the small, light typeface used - but any larger would have resulted in a much larger and more unwieldy book.

Page: 1 | 2