Profile for L. Pilfold > Reviews

L. Pilfold

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money., 16 July 2013
They sound great (for the price) and are comfortable. My favourite bit is probably the little box they come with. As a result of my keeping them in the box rather than wrapped around my mp3 played in my pocket they have lasted for ages and don't get knotted! Well worth the money.

20mm x 10m Roll Sew On Hook & Loop Tape - White
20mm x 10m Roll Sew On Hook & Loop Tape - White
Offered by Andrew Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 16 July 2013
It's exactly what it says on the tin. Mine was white, not black though. Would definitely recommend for those in need of a ton of velcro.

DN-ALive 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug To 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug 1.2 Meter
DN-ALive 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug To 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug 1.2 Meter
Offered by Fly Service

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and rubbish., 16 July 2013
These are very flimsy cables, the join between the cable and the jack is very weak and noisy. I wouldn't recommend them.

Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python
Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python
by John V Guttag

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to programming and Python., 29 Mar. 2013
I'm half way through this book (and the MIT600x course on edx.org) and so far I'm loving it. It's a really well written text that does a great job of introducing the various concepts as well as the Python language in general. It's certainly the best introduction to computer science I've come across since I decided to learn to code a year or so ago.

The section that introduced the concept of recursion by talking about Barack Obama's nationality got a chuckle out of me :)

I would definitely recommend this book (along with the MIT600x course) to anyone looking to learn how to code.

The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
by William E. Shotts Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the Linux command line, 28 Mar. 2013
With this book I've gone from being a complete newbie to feeling like I have a decent understanding of the command line. While I'm not an expert and can't tell you if any areas are being neglected it does seem to cover a good range of topics and it does teach all the skills I was looking to learn. The writing style is enjoyable and not too technical and there are lots of useful practical examples for the various commands introduced which help a lot in understanding how to use them.

I would definately recommend this book to anyone interested in learning to use the Linux terminal.

By the way- the book is also available in PDF form on the authors website. Google the name of the book and you'll find it. :)

MINIRIG Portable rechargeable speaker
MINIRIG Portable rechargeable speaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Dec. 2012
Really cannot fault the product itself! There's nothing quite like it, I bought two.
(support it really really slow though)

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Great little units but they died after a year., 14 Dec. 2012
Been using them for a little over a year and I've been very happy with them. Fast, neat and easy. The perfect solution for people like me who rent and thus are not allowed to drill holes through walls to run some cables. (Cables are still be far the fastest, cheapest and most reliable method though!)

Sadly after a year they died. And the tech support help line was pretty useless. I'm unsure if I shall be buying another pair if they are not going to last that long.