Profile for Vladimir Jirasek > Reviews

Content by Vladimir Jirasek

Vladimir Jirasek

Applied Cyber Security and the Smart Grid: Implementing Security Controls Into the Modern Power Infrastructure
by Eric D. Knapp
Price: 36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written page turner and reference guide on Smart grid security, 5 May 2013
I had been eagerly awaiting this new book from authors Raj Samani and D. Knapp on a very topical subject of Smart Grid security. Everyone today talks about Smart meters and there seem to be a lot of misconception and confusion about smart meters and smart grids. The book puts any confusion behind by clearing the mist.

The first two chapters smartly explain what the smart grid is, detailing its components of a complex system, in which smart meters are just one of many components. The chapter three shows weaknesses in the systems' designs and how these could be used maliciously, yet keeping the level of detail consciously low to not give someone a guide how to do cause harm. While reading this chapter, I was wondering that it is a small wonder there have not been substantially more cyber incidents in the electricity generation, transmission and distribution.

Chapter four dives into the privacy topics, explaining how collection of electricity consumption data, mostly from the smart meters, has privacy implications. Certainly, when I have my smart meter installed I will be asking tough questions collection intervals and data anonymisation.

Chapter five goes into details of technical standards and protocols, and is a good reference point when doing research on the topic of the smart grid.

I really love chapters six and 7 which explain securing the smart grid components and the supply chain. The section about the situational awareness is well written, and should be read by many SIEM and big data analysis vendors. Clearly, there is a lot of data collected in a smart grid network, security, system, application and person related.
The chapter on securing the supply chain is an exceptional piece of work that one could adapt to other supply chains.

In the big finale, the chapter on the future of the smart grid talks about where this legacy, well interconnected, insecure and highly critical national asset's future should lie. The personal RFPs (P-RFP) is one of my favourite topics that has potential to change the supply chain substantially. It is quite clear that consumers will have much more power in choosing suppliers, being helped by smart meters; while suppliers will benefit from secure smart grid providing wealth of information for the grid optimisation. The big question, with regards to securing critical assets, such as smart grids, is who is going to pay for it. My guess is it will be us consumers for our collective benefit!
I thoroughly enjoyed the book on my Kindle and can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone caring about where your electricity comes from.

Well done Raj and Eric

"3GJUICE's FINALLY THERE" Iphone Extension Cable and Ipod Extension Cable
"3GJUICE's FINALLY THERE" Iphone Extension Cable and Ipod Extension Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cable, 3 Dec 2009
I wanted to connect my iPhone into my car stereo and needed to extend the Apple cable. This is black cable which works very well in the car, unlike white Apple one.
Excellent product. Works like a charm. Happy to recommend this to anyone wishing to get longer or blacker cables for their iPhone.

Black rubber case & screen protector Accessories for apple iPhone 3G
Black rubber case & screen protector Accessories for apple iPhone 3G

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection, 24 Aug 2008
I am really pleased with this protection. The installation of the screen cover was seamless, unlike with other product. The rubber cover looks cool and enhances the grip. It has already saved my iPhone once when it droped from 1m, with no damage.

Roberts MP-23 (MP-Sound 23)  Home Audio System
Roberts MP-23 (MP-Sound 23) Home Audio System

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound. LCD lets it down, 24 Aug 2008
If you do not want to spend twice as much on Bose, get this unit. Excellent sound and build quality. We only use it for DAB so I cannot comment on other sound sources.
What is miss is direct iPod connection, not just input jack.

And what we do not like? The LCD is too bright during the night, so bright it seems feels like full moon. However, this can be advantage if you need to find way out of the bedroom and back during night.

Samsung T240 24" Widecsreen 5ms Rose Black LCD Monitor TFT with DVI, HDMI Ready - 20000:1,Windows Vista Premium Ready

4.0 out of 5 stars Great LCD for serious work, 5 Aug 2008
I did serious research into what monitor I should buy. Samsung won and I am really pleased with it. The picture quality is stunning and works really well with my Mac. The colours need calibration though as by default they are really vivid ( compared to my Mac ).
The downside is that it is not height adjustable, does not have speakers and there are only 2 USB ports, hence only 4 stars from me.
You can have 100% view of two A4 next to each other which is important for me.
And be careful with some sellers, they state this monitor is 2ms and has speakers which is simply not true.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2009 11:05 AM GMT

Western Digital 320GB "My Book" Premium 1C External Hard Drive USB2.0/Firewire
Western Digital 320GB "My Book" Premium 1C External Hard Drive USB2.0/Firewire

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design but noisy and vibrating..., 5 April 2007
Hello,

I had bought this device couple weeks agop and I had to return it in 2 days. The device worked fine with my MacBook using both USB and Firewire but it was very noisy and vibrating on my table. When compared to the one of my friend, same spec, his was quiet and steady.

Thanks to Amazon for their flawless return service so it did not cost me a penny. But now I am not sure whetehr I should order new one or look for some other vendor.

But given Amazon's return policy I might as well try it again.