Profile for Ania O. > Reviews

Ania O. (London, UK)

Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
by Peter Reinhart

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of information but not very user-friendly, 30 Dec. 2009
Since I purchased this book I waited for it with impatience. I had just got into the sourdough baking and was very excited to get my first cookbook about it.

From the moment I received it I was sure this book was written by a passionate baker who devoted a lot of time and energy to master this art. It's great to read little anecdotes before each recipe and there are a lot of tips for each bread, but after a while I realised that for the very same reason there are not many recipes in the book all together.

I didn't like the way how the book is organised, that is, each chapter descibes a different method of making bread: rustic bread, then sourdough, then wholegrain, then the bread recipes that won a competition, etc. This makes it very difficult to quickly browse through recipes and choose one to work with. Besides, all the sourdough starter recipes are grouped in one chapter, so to make a bread, you need to constantly flip the pages from the starter chapter to the bread recipe which may be quite confusing.

And yet another disadvantage - no pictures. Sorry, but in the age of digital camera, I find it rather disappointing not to have the lovely inspirational additions.

All in all, the recipes are well worked-out. So far, I was disappointed with only one of them.

Advanced Selling Strategies: The Proven System of Sales Ideas, Methods and Techniques Used by Top Salespeople Everywhere
by Brian Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 17 April 2009
I was a bit cautious when choosing this book, first of all because of the cover, but more importantly because of B Tracy's website which for me personally looks like a typical American kitch with lots of cheap enthusiasm, makeover pictures, badly chosen colours and general chaos in terms of layout.

Fortunately, a friend of mine recommended it to me and I bought it.

It proved absolutely fantastic, starting from the very beginning, that is, what you really want to do with your life, and then going step by step into how to change every aspect of it in order to reflect your Will. Brian knows how to sell his ideas, but what I find extremely valuable is that he doesn't force anyone to think in a particular way, or to do something against their Will. He doesnt even take for granted the fact that the reader wants to do sales (I can imagine people could read it just to realise they DON'T want to do it), but if they do, he gives a sophisticated plan as to how improve your skills and abilities resulting in better sales and life in general.

The only downside of Mr Tracy is that although he encourages a reader to 'think big,' he quite clearly limits himself to American public (e.g. cover), probably not believing or even taking under consideration the fact the book might become popular overseas.

Cold Calling for Chickens
Cold Calling for Chickens
by Bob Etherington

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, but off topic, 17 April 2009
Although a very good read and a lot of tips, I found the author writing off topic throughout most of the book (he actually only starts talking about cold calling per se on page 91 out of 148 pages in total). The rest is just about a general attitude towards work, time management, a bit of NLP, etc.

I understand Mr Etherington wanted to show the idea of the cold calling within a particular context which he first had to present, but from the reader's point of view, I bought this book because of its title, and quite frankly if 62% of its content is about presenting a context to cold calling, I would give the book a different title.

That being said, I do value this book a lot and would recommend it to anyone interested in the subject> I would just make sure they know it is not only about cold calling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 5:11 PM BST

Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook
Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook
by Jack Bishop

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but..., 7 Mar. 2009
This looks like a great book, but as for me it is just all too simple. Let's take for example risotto section: really I would have thought that in order to publish a book you need to be a bit more creative than offering a risotto with radicchio only (other options include: red wine risotto with rosemary and garlic, risotto with savoy cabbage, risotto with fennel, etc). I keep looking into the book in search of a recipe and most of the time, I end up making my own dish as the one in the book does not look nutritious enough to me.

Besides, American vocabulary, American measurements, and lack of many pictures (there are 16 in total) makes me believe that this is book definitely not for me.

Clear White Travel Plastic Yoga Neti Pot
Clear White Travel Plastic Yoga Neti Pot
Offered by Ruth White Yoga Products

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device to keep your nasal passages clean, 7 Mar. 2009
This is a great device to keep your nasal passages clean, provided that you use it on a regular basis.

I have been using it for last three years, first daily, then every two days and I find it extremely effective in fighting against hayfever, cold, snorring, etc.

The only thing the pot is really missing is a measure spoon for salt, since if you put too much or too little salt in the container, the experience might be quite unpleasant. I have recently started using a 1/4 teaspoon measure from my breadmaker and find it extremely effective.