Profile for carol thorne > Reviews

carol thorne

Kindle, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Kindle, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

3.0 out of 5 stars not so special features, 10 Feb. 2015
I bought the Kindle at John Lewis and registered it with Amazon. I was devastated to find that I have to put up with adverts every time I switch it on. I believe these are called 'special features' and I could pay £10 to have them removed.
I don't see why I should have to pay to have something I don't want removed - it is most annoying.
The actual Kindle is fine and I love the touch screen.
Carol Thorne
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2015 4:05 PM GMT

The World of Jeeves: (Jeeves & Wooster)
The World of Jeeves: (Jeeves & Wooster)

5.0 out of 5 stars Age does not weary, nor the years condemn., 3 Sept. 2013
Every sentence is a poetic gem. The ideal book to take when you travel as it doesn't matter if you lose the place - every sentence stands rereading.
The plots always satisfy with endings often unexpected but perfect.
The relationship between Bertie and Jeeves is perfectly pitched. Bertie's perpetual optimism and utter lack of perception that he is being controlled and manipulated by Jeeves are drawn with just a few words but convey everything with just a raised eyebrow or well placed adjective.
Buy this book and enter the wonderful world of Jeeves and Wooster - you won't be sorry!

The New Oxford Book of Food Plants
The New Oxford Book of Food Plants
by John Vaughan

4.0 out of 5 stars ALL YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FOOD YOU EAT., 28 April 2013
Once you start browsing through this book you won't stop!
It illustrates almost any food plant you can think of together with a description of its habitat. I have bought several copies of this book over theyears and whenever I lend it to someone I never seem to get it back.

The English Orphans
The English Orphans

5.0 out of 5 stars the english orphans, 10 April 2013
This Victorian morality story is excellent - it compares well with the queen of "Sunday School" stories, Mrs O F Walton. I have read more than 400 British books of this genre and this is the first apart from Uncle Tom's Cabin. I recommend it. It is easy to read and provides a real insight into society at this time. And what's more, its free!