Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "AK" (Lakeland UK)

Page: 1 | 2
RETRO Classic Wayfarer READING GLASSES +2.50 Brown Tortoiseshell 50's 60's Geek Nerd 2.5 James Dean DEPP Prescription Spectacles
Offered by W2S - Watches2Sunglasses
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Look great, robust, effective. Will order some more for future use!

Dead Money: An Inspector Mowgley Murder Mystery (Jack Mowgley Murder Mysteries Book 3)
Price: 3.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Explosive plot, careful with that fuse!!, 2 Jun 2014
Well done George!
The author has really settled in to the Team Mowgley mindset, and this is the latest and best of the series.
A large amount of research seems to have been done, enabling the reader to feel totally immersed (spoiler warning!) in the culture of the south coast of England and beyond. One can almost smell the spray from the Solent, and the hoppy beer fumes in Mowgley's favourite pub.
The references to Marbella have great authenticity, as do the many references to policing procedures both at home and abroad.
The plot gathers pace quickly, taking the reader through the rather non-politically correct world of a charismatic, old-school Inspector Mowgley, who somewhat grudgingly accepts some of the advice of younger colleagues in his pursuit of the truth, and at least some closure in this oft amusing, sometimes harrowing tale of greed, murder, and corruption on a huge scale.
The real beauty of the book, for me at least, is in the detail.......
A fine book. Love the cover!

All Patients Great and Small: Tales of a Rural District Nurse
All Patients Great and Small: Tales of a Rural District Nurse
by Zoe C. Lloyd
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely, gentle book., 25 April 2014
A great insight into the life and work of a dedicated nurse.
With humour and sadness, Zoe shares her thoughts and memories in this well balanced view of life.

The Quarry
The Quarry
by Iain Banks
Price: 12.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK; sorry., 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Quarry (Hardcover)
Having been impressed by Wasp Factory, I found that this book lacked some pace, and was somewhat laboured in parts. There were quite a few references to cancer, of course, but these weren't at all maudlin and could have been expanded upon. I feel quite guilty writing this, as I so wanted this novel to have been the pinnacle of a great writing career. A great man, nevertheless.

French Letters (Mill of the Flea)
French Letters (Mill of the Flea)
Price: 2.54

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, gentle book!, 18 Nov 2013
Fascinating read, gently yet passionately written. This isn't a run of the mill (no pun intended) travel book; it's a moving account of a real family, with real emotions and great compassion towards mankind.
This book has virtually created a new genre; you'll find humour mixing easily with sadness (just occasionally!), and a robust affinity and love of life.

How to Write a Bestseller by someone who has (The Naked Truth)
How to Write a Bestseller by someone who has (The Naked Truth)
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Naked ambition...., 9 Nov 2013
Devotees of George's relaxed style of writing will recognise at once the warmth and humour within these pages.
Aspiring writers will find encouragement and tips galore, with just the right amount of reality checks along the way.
Few authors are willing to spill the beans on creative writing; that George has chosen to do so is highly altruistic, particularly given the fact that he appears to have lost his shirt along the way.....

Battery Operated 12-Led Desk/Table Lamp (RT357)
Battery Operated 12-Led Desk/Table Lamp (RT357)
Offered by PinkWebShop
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 6 April 2013
Great little light with two different lighting levels. Sits on my little table amongst all the men behaving badly paraphernalia. Great value.

The Lemon Table
The Lemon Table
by Julian Barnes
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating........, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lemon Table (Paperback)
.....to see such a marked contrast between this collection of stories. Quite how JB writes so easily about the concept of aging is quite beyond me.
A great book to read after 'Nothing to be frightened of'; you'll have become accustomed to the darker side of humour by then. And hugely entertaining!

Andrew.

There are Things I Want You to Know"" about Stieg Larsson and me
There are Things I Want You to Know"" about Stieg Larsson and me
by Eva Gabrielsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Double vision..., 10 Sep 2011
Please be aware that this is exactly the same book, word for word and page for page, as 'Stieg and me'.
Having ordered both books I was disappointed to discover that I had double vision!

Amazon responded quickly to my query, and this book is winging its way back as I type. Don't make the same mistake as me!

The Man Who Left Too Soon: The Biography of Stieg Larsson
The Man Who Left Too Soon: The Biography of Stieg Larsson
by Barry Forshaw
Price: 16.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Cut and paste, 23 April 2011
Why, oh WHY didn't I really believe the poor reviews of this book? As with so many before me, I thought I'd learn something more of the life of Steig Larsson, but no. A few photos giving tantalising hints as to what the text could and should have been able to refer to.
Did the author think that we wouldn't have read the trilogy before buying this book? Why then are we offered huge tranches of 'cut and paste' sections of the trilogy?
As another reviewer has already said, if I could take my book back for a refund then I would. Just to compound my own stupidity, I paid full price on the High Street. That'll teach me to be impatient!

Page: 1 | 2