Profile for T. Bartell > Reviews

Content by T. Bartell

T. Bartell (West Simsbury, Connecticut)

Toll The Hounds: The Malazan Book of the Fallen 8
Toll The Hounds: The Malazan Book of the Fallen 8
by Steven Erikson

5.0 out of 5 stars Toll the Hounds Rings the Bell, 24 Aug. 2008
Erikson does a masterful job with this newest installment of the tale of the Fallen. Particularly intriguing is the careful development of characters from past novels, and how they have matured since the first installment. This is good stuff. A number of seemingly invicible characters from earlier novels are now a step slower, fatally in some cases. I rated the last book at 4/5 stars which was probably overly harsh, and was hoping that this one would hit the high standard set by Memories of Ice (my personal favorite). Tolls the Hound is a fantastic read, advancing many of the intricate plots set in motion in Gardens of the Moon. Bravo Steven Erikson, you have done it again!

Malazan Book of the Fallen #7: Reaper's Gale
Malazan Book of the Fallen #7: Reaper's Gale
by Steven Erikson

4.0 out of 5 stars Reaper's Gale Not a Hurricane, 6 Jun. 2007
Let me just start by saying that I think that this is one of the most intriguing and enjoyable fantasy series that I've ever come across. I hesistate to rate this particular chapter at less than 5 stars, but I will because I believe that it simply does not live up to the standard of earlier installments, each of which would rate 5 plus stars in my opinion. For me, Reaper's Gale was a bit of a disappointment. I thought that it seemed rushed and a bit contrived. Existing storylines were snuffed out prematurely and new ones were created without the kind of careful preparation and depth that Erikson has employed in the past. Don't get me wrong, this is a solid read. In my humble opinion, however, it does not reach the level of earlier installments. (Incidentally, I recently read Night of Knives, a fantastic, highly illuminating story about the early years of the Empire.)