Profile for Vanessa Vinos > Reviews

Content by Vanessa Vinos

Vanessa Vinos "Former Criminal Psychologist. Now successful business owner" (Spain/UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Show Your Work!: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Getting Discovered
Show Your Work!: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Getting Discovered
by Austin Kleon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 15 Jun 2014
A great book; easy to read and with some really great actionable steps.
Made me really think differently about self-promotion.

Calling Me Home
Calling Me Home
by Julie Kibler

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than 'The Help!', 24 April 2014
This review is from: Calling Me Home (Paperback)
I don't read many fiction books (maybe a handful a year) so rarely write reviews for fiction books. But this book blew me away.
It's one of those books that after you turn the last page, you are still thinking about it for days after. Although it is fiction, you know that a lot of what happens in the book was not unusual of that time, and I think it's because of that you forget this is a work of fiction and not autobiographical in any way.
I admit it does start off a little slow, but then in builds up to the point where I was still up at 3am reading.
The last page just made me gasp; I certainly didn't expect that ending. Very clever.
This will definitely be up there with some of my favorite fiction books.

Dynamic NutriBullet Juice Extractor with accompanying DeskX24 Cup Holder
Dynamic NutriBullet Juice Extractor with accompanying DeskX24 Cup Holder
Offered by DigiHouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Strange is Happening, 5 Sep 2013
I have had the NutriBullet for about 2 weeks and something strange is happening that I cannot fathom. It doesn't matter what combination of fruits and veg I put into it, the drink has absolutely NO taste; in fact it's the blandest thing I've ever tasted. Yet if I put the SAME fruits and veg in my juicer the flavors and aroma are delicious; you can't help but want to drink it.
I have no answer to why. The machine itself is fab and does everything it says on the box BUT the end results are so flavorless that it makes me want to go back to my big old juicer. Could it be because the machine blends the contents rather than extract the contents? I really don't know. Would love to hear if any of you have any ideas why.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 7:55 PM BST

Fly London Women's Yaz Light Grey Wedge Heels P500025080 6 UK
Fly London Women's Yaz Light Grey Wedge Heels P500025080 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB FLY, 18 Jun 2013
I LOVE this Portuguese brand. When I am in Spain I buy them all the time, so was shocked to see such a good price on Amazon (cheaper than Spain which is literally down the road from Portugal).
These are definitely my "go-to" shoes when I want style + comfort. I also love the multitude of colors this particular design comes in (in fact I only ever buy this style) and am always being stopped by people to ask where I bought them.

Raspberry Ketone Platinum (2 Bottles) - Professional Strength - All Natural Diet Formula for Weight Loss / Fat Burning, 60 capsules
Offered by Best Health Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work!, 9 April 2013
I purchased two bottles of Raspberry Ketone Platinum almost two months ago. Although I read positive comments and heard Dr Oz on American TV giving it the thumbs up I was very skeptical and by nature I am a very, very skeptical person. However, I was quite overweight and nothing else I have tried up to then had helped.

Nonetheless, I ordered two bottles and still feeling very skeptical I started taking two capsules per day as recommended (one capsule first thing in the morning and another 30 minutes before lunch), and six weeks later I have lost 10 kilos!!! (which is 22 pounds/ 1st 8 lb), and more importantly I have lost inches faster than dropping the weight.

Thank you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2013 2:56 AM BST

I Had No Money and I Liked It: The Abundant Journey of an Open Heart
I Had No Money and I Liked It: The Abundant Journey of an Open Heart
by Lilou Mace

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Lilou, 27 Mar 2013
I had not read Lilou's first book but have been following her on You Tube for about 2 years, so I knew that I liked what she had to say and where she was coming from. I thought this book might have been difficult to follow because I hadn't read her first book, but it wasn't. It is written in short paragraphs and really was difficult for me to put down. If you are a student of energy, the Law of Attraction, and some of the great masters such as Wayne Dyer (who Lilou has interviewed many times and which are some of my fav interviews of hers) than read this book. It's real proof that Lilou walks the talk. You read how she has nothing one day in her bank account; the panic, the fear, the disappointments etc But then how she digs deep for all that she has learnt from some of the spiritual greats and moves forward. I really find my vibration changing whenever I read Lilou's book; as though I can conquer anything.
I strongly recommend this book as it is so refreshing to read about the Law of Attraction in the " real" world which I don't feel The Secret conveyed. You don't just think about what you want and it appears. Whereas Lilou writes about her emotions and feelings when things are not going as planned and HOW she turns those around (which I think is the crucial step).
A FAB read which I will re-read over many times again.

Get To No.1 On Google In Easy Steps 3rd Edition
Get To No.1 On Google In Easy Steps 3rd Edition
by Ben Norman

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date already?, 15 Nov 2012
I just bought this book this week, and was happily ploughing through it when I heard from a few sources that Google no longer uses meta keywords and penalizes people who do. As three quarters of this book is about meta keywords it means that the majority of the information is already redundant. Or is it?
The author also recommends using Linkdex's free account to carry out many of his optimization suggestions, yet from what I can see Linkdex no longer offers free accounts :-(
All very baffling. I'm not a techie so would welcome any comments.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2013 4:56 PM BST

Ageless: The Naked Truth about Bioidentical Hormones
Ageless: The Naked Truth about Bioidentical Hormones
by Suzanne Somers

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 20 July 2011
I am a huge Suzanne Somers fan and couldn't wait to get my teeth into this book. There is no doubt the amount of research she has done is extraordinary. But what disappointed me was that unless you are a woman in the US, it is impossible to use many of the resources she lists; "ageing well" doctors don't exist in Europe neither do "compound pharmacies". Therefore, there are huge chucks of the book that cannot be implemented if you live outside the USA.I don't expect her to research all the options in Europe, but some alternatives would have been more helpful than none.

The book is written as though no women exist outside the US; there are 4+ other continents with densely populated areas of women! She clearly has forgotten about those!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2012 2:28 PM BST

The Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet
by Dr Pierre Dukan

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst of it's kind!, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Dukan Diet (Paperback)
I don't have very much to lose, so I "thought" the first phase (only eating protein) would be tolerable.How wrong I was!!! It was awful. You are supposed to stay on it for up to 10 days. After 3 days, I just couldn't load my digestive system with any more protein;I felt awful. I thought I could hold out until the fruit and veg were introduced. What I didn't envisage was that fruit is not introduced into the diet until your have reached your goal! So if someone has quite alot of weight to lose, they may not have any fruit for months and months!! There is no way this can be healthy. Just in the 3 days I was on it I have never felt so bad. For example, I have always been complimented on my skin. But in 3 days on this diet the negative effect on my skin has been incredible. My book is brand new, but I just cannot bring myself to pass this book onto anyone else. As far as I'm concerned there's only one place for this book, and that's in the trash. I am going to go back to the Scarsdale which incorporates fruit and veg EVERY DAY from day one of the diet and has worked for me to lose a few pounds every time.
As an aside, I followed the diet to the letter for the 3 days and didn't lose a thing!! I don't doubt it works for some people, but for me it was the unhealthiest form of eating I have ever experienced.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2011 1:00 AM BST

Living The Savvy Life: The Savvy Woman's Guide to Smart Spending and Rich Living

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-read" in this day and age., 2 May 2011
This is a really fantastic, pragmatic and "do-able" book. It doesn't matter where you are financially at the moment, there are so many tips and tricks you can implement immediately; my fav was definitely having a Spend Book-a book where you write down the purchases you want to make which are over and above "normal" purchases. This has proved absolutely invaluable to me.

What I love about the book is that Melissa makes clear at the beginning of the book that it is not about frugal living. It's a book about making informed choices; spending it on the things that give you pleasure versus mindlessly spending. "Save money on the things that aren't as important to you so you can afford to spend money on the things that are important to you".
Sounds very logical, but I knew I wasn't currently doing it.

I really love that Melissa gives you personal anecdotes from within her own life and also examples from "savvy" celebrities which I found really inspiring.
Her resources/bibliography section in itself is worth the price of the book. I've marked and highlighted so many books I need to move onto in my quest for "savvy living". I couldn't believe when I actually finished the book (this was clearly one book that was not going to be collecting dust on my bookshelf). I've been carrying it around with me everywhere, and every time I have a few minutes, out it comes with my highlighter pen.

In summary this is definitely a MUST read for the times we live. It's not preachy or full of financial stats and data. It's like having a chat and coffee with your savvy best-friend as she lets you into all her secrets. I can't recommend this book enough; a real treasure I won't be letting out of my sight for a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4