Profile for Tom > Reviews

Content by Tom

Tom

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lenovo G580 15.6-inch Laptop (Blue) - (Intel Celeron B830 1.8GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribe, terrible mistake..., 4 Dec 2013
I have bought this laptop nearly one year ago. I installed Linux on it, so that I could dual boot to Windows 8 and Linux, which configuration I need as a software developer. Things were never easy as its UEFI implementation is rubbish (which made booting from external HD/DVD/USB very difficult, or even impossible, regardless of the UEFI settings I made), but until I updated it to Windows 8.1 things were always fixable. Then I could not get my Linux installation to boot anymore, and eventually even Windows 8.1 refused to boot. My UEFI boot menu was filled with invalid entries, and I could not fix it. I could not even get to the UEFI menu most of the time. Then I used my Windows install DVD (well, USB pendrive because DVD cannot be used to boot this thing) to fix it. After that even the UEFI menu could not be accessed anymore. So I sent the machine to Lenovo for a repair. They called me a few days later that I needed to pay for the repair myself because I should not have installed another OS on it, which, according to them, voids the warranty! An OS installation should not have done such a damage. Also, compared to how UEFI seems to work on other machines, this machine has a serious bug in its UEFI implementation. Yet, it is my fault because I changed the configuration of the laptop (this is the expression that Lenovo's employee used when he called me).

So if you are thinking about buying this product: on the one hand, you may never install another OS on it, but on the other hand, do you really want to do business with a company like this?

EDIT: Medion UK sent me an email with a different story: now they say the warranty is void because the laptop has been opened in an unprofessional manner. They even attached a picture of a probably broken laptop (not mine). The laptop has been opened once, true, but I only opened it after I asked their support if it was OK. They said it would not void the warranty if I removed the hard drive to make a backup of it before sending the laptop in for the repair. And, of course, there was no any damage caused.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 5:21 PM GMT

Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and works under Linux, 24 Jan 2013
I do not have a lot of comparison with other scanners, but the LiDE 210 does the job well and works under Linux without any tweaking. I knew that people used it under Ubuntu 12.10, but I still did not expect that I could just connect it to my laptop, start Simple Scan, click on the 'Scan' button and it would work immediately! So if you use Linux, and want a relatively cheap scanner, this seems to be a good choice.

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
Price: 6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, 17 Sep 2012
I have read quite a few books on spiritual life and enlightenment, but none of them was as clear and easy to understand as this one. I think it is very difficult to talk about something that the thinking mind can never really comprehend, and yet somehow Mr Tolle managed to write a book that anyone, who is interested in the subject can understand and learn from. I am not surprised at all that so many people claim that this book has changed their lives (though it was obviously not the book itself but their inner 'work' that did the change): this book has a very clear message and some very practical suggestions.

The only slightly negative thing I found was the many repetitions of the same message.

The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating (Essential series)
The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating (Essential series)
by Murdoch Books
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars It helped my wife improve her skills, 20 Aug 2012
I bought this book for my wife and she is very satisfied with it. I keep seeing it in the kitchen, almost every time she makes a new cupcake decoration. I am not exactly sure what the benefits of this book are compared to similar ones, but I do see that my wife's cupcakes look more and more beautiful (recently she started uploading pictures here: [...], so you can see the progress yourself), so I gave the 5 stars based on how much her decoration skills improved since she started using this book.

Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation
by Jon Kabat-Zinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of valuable and interesting information, 20 May 2012
This book is considered to be one of the best ones on mindfulness for a very good reason: it is both very interesting and extremely useful. The author has decades of experience in both meditation and teaching it to people, who are suffering from chronic health issues (mostly stress-related). There are many guides, stories, advices that make this book worth reading (probably more than once). It is good to know that one does not need to be a Buddhist to appreciate it, as the author focuses on the practical benefits of meditation for people in the Western world.

The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD)
by Mark Williams
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on mindfulness, 20 May 2012
This book is very easy to understand and contains some really useful information for anyone, having difficulties in life (so probably every living person), not just for people suffering from depression. The authors are highly regarded academics with a lot of experience, so the book has some interesting stories about their patients and their own experiences. I would definitely suggest it to anyone who is not familiar with mindfulness yet, or people who are interested in the science behind meditation (why it is useful, how it works, etc).

For those who have read some of Jon Kabat-Zinn's books (like 'Full Catastrophy Living' or 'Wherever You Go, There You Are'): this book is quite similar to them, so you may not get too much new information.

Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toy, 20 May 2012
This is an excellent toy for kids (and even adults). The quality is very good, and it is very easy to use it even for a 5 years old. The magnifying is not extraordinary, but fot its price and intended audience (kids) it is perfect. There is nothing about it that I could complain about.

Canyon Chain Tool
Canyon Chain Tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Canyon Chain Tool (Sports)
This is a great tool: I have never used anything like this before but it did not matter. It took around 5 seconds to remove a few links, without any effort. It was worth its price.

Wahl Super Taper Hair Clipper
Wahl Super Taper Hair Clipper
Offered by Hero Deals
Price: 46.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, 12 May 2012
I have tried 2, consumer grade clippers and it was a pain to use them: it took ages to finish a simple haircut and the result was usually just acceptable. It is the exact opposite when using this product: a haircut takes only a few minutes and yet the result is much better. The plastic accessories look a bit weak but I have not had any issues yet.

Automatic LED Night Light Plug-In Low Energy
Automatic LED Night Light Plug-In Low Energy
Offered by SHINE_UMBRELLA
Price: 3.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 12 May 2012
For its price it is a great value night light. Its light is neutral, not too strong and the energy consumption is very low.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3