Profile for E. Wilkinson > Reviews

Content by E. Wilkinson

E. Wilkinson "wizzyfix" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
iPad Pro Screen Protector, Tech Armor Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) for 12.9-inch Apple iPad Pro - Lifetime Warranty [2-Pack]
Offered by Tech Armor UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Jun. 2016
Unlike other screen protectors I was able to apply this one at the first attempt. Excellent fit, just a few bubble that can be fixed with the supplied plastic card. Note that this screen protector is not shiny, it has a matte, textured surface which has tooth that makes it suitable for artists using the pen. I prefer this as I really dislike glossy screens. Also 2 in the pack.

Alexey Titarenko: The City Is a Novel
Alexey Titarenko: The City Is a Novel
by Alexey Titarenko (Photographer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, My Precious, 1 May 2016
Such a disappointment. The only interesting photo is the one on the cover. Takes its inspiration from works of "Great" Literature: enough said. Honestly in style I was hoping for something along the lines of Michael Ackerman's fictional realities but instead I got time lapse architectural photography done in this peculiar, solarised process. Weak, awful. Thankfully it wasn't too expensive.

iPad Pro Carry-Case with Handle for Easy Carrying by CUVR®. Has Smart Kick-Stand and Designer Zip for Travelling. Rust Premium Leather PU . Cover Your New Apple iPad Pro While on the Go!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very not nice, 17 Jan. 2016
What on Earth is this? It looks like thin strips of yellow plastic stitched together by pixies on acid. I was curious to find out more so I searched the Internet and there are no reviews anywhere for CUVR. No one on the planet has heard of this product except the reviewers here who were given samples in exchange for reviews. Watch the video- the plastic is so thin you can hear it stretch. That zip will last five minutes and don't even expect to make it out of the door with that flimsy handle. You want to put your £1000 product in this? A neoprene sleeve would be safer. Better still add another ten quid and you could buy a half decent leather folio. I am awarding it two stars for the concept. Should be priced around £5.99, including postage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2016 10:22 AM GMT

Wacom Cintiq 13HD Interactive Pen Display - English language version
Wacom Cintiq 13HD Interactive Pen Display - English language version

1.0 out of 5 stars Killed by ipad pro with Astro Pad app, 5 Nov. 2015
Update: After the recent release of ipad pro I can confirm the Cintiq 13 is officially dead. If you are a Mac user ipad pro with apple pencil will mirror your computer and function exactly as a Cintiq if you download an ipad app called Astropad. I expect the demise of this Wacom model is imminent. Ipad pro weighs one pound and connects to your computer via bluetooth once you install the app. No weight, no wires, no drivers. Excellent pen sensitivity. And you also get ios rather than a hulk of dead plastic.
And for those (Wacom employees?) who don't find this review helpful I'd love to know why.

There was a time when I wanted to buy this item. I really did. I invested a considerable amount of time and effort unsuccessfully attempting to source it from two major electrical retailers in the city where I live. It was available online but out of stock forever.

Really Wacom, what is going wrong with your distribution? Major UK city retailers and not one of them can get hold of this product.
(I know it is available on Amazon but there are several known faults with a number of these units such as dead pixels and loose hdmi connectors. This means your first unit may have to be returned- do you seriously want to go through the hassle of returning something of this size via post? If purchased in the high street you can quickly and easily return it to the store and request a replacement. It is also easier to demonstrate faults in-store than via online tech support.)

Enough of this fiasco, I thought to myself and simply bought a Microsoft Surface instead. You should too and here is why:

-This tablet is vastly overpriced for what is essentially a second display with pen input.

-The size and weight of the Cintiq is roughly equivalent to a 15 inch laptop so it isn't really as portable as a Surface and you will also need to carry a laptop with you.

-The new Surface now has equivalent pen sensitivity, and could compete well with the Cintiq Companion at a fraction of the cost. So why would you want to pay £700 for a display? Just put the money towards your Surface.

-The screen resolution is nowhere near the quality of the Surface.

-The tactile "paper-like" feel of the Cintiq screen can easily be replicated by simply adding a matte screen protector to the surface. (Watch the You Tube videos to see owners ripping off their Cintiq screen protectors and you will see it's simply made of glass, nothing special at all.)

-The quality of your user experience is based on how good the graphics card in your laptop is. The Cintiq merely mirrors this. So if you have a crap laptop, don't expect the Cintiq to improve on this. The Surface has superb graphics, even in the cheaper spec models.

-If like me you are interested in photo editing think twice about buying a Cintiq because your interaction with this device will be different to those who use it for drawing and illustration purposes. They need to see their hand moving in the same way they would when drawing on paper. Your hand, on the other hand, will simply move over and obscure the pre-existing image you are editing. You do not need to see your hand moving and this could in fact become a distraction. Illustrators need to see their work up close at the pencil point. Photo editors need to view their work from a distance, moving further away rather than closer to the image to get a "global" view.
To achieve this distance you might be better off with an Intuos Pro.
Quite honestly you may not even need a Surface. The Intuos tablets are much cheaper (go for the small) and could easily slip into a bag with your laptop.

-The Cintiq is old tech. It was even old when it was released in 2013 and now we're almost into 2016. Computing and graphics technology has advanced greatly in that time and this product does not hold up well.

-Driver issues. Known problems downloading and installing the appropriate drivers to make the Cintiq work at all, even assuming you don't have dead pixels or a loose hdmi.

So, all in all, thank you Wacom for making the Cintiq unavailable for me. I just might have dodged a bullet.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2016 6:50 AM GMT

Stags Hens & Bunnies
Stags Hens & Bunnies
by Dougie Wallace

1.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive as a bowl of cold sick, 25 May 2015
This review is from: Stags Hens & Bunnies (Hardcover)
Sadly Dougie is yet again a Parr too far. What he lacks in intellect he makes up for with a certain muscular crassness. His barracks humour could clear a room at closing time. Rather than bouncing flash he should be bouncing on the door. I expect that will come later when his commissions dry up. No pun intended.

The North
The North
by John Bulmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserted streets and apathy, 25 May 2015
This review is from: The North (Hardcover)
The clothes may have changed but the faces are still the same.I felt sorry for the ponies.

Mike Brodie - a Period of Juvenile Prosperity
Mike Brodie - a Period of Juvenile Prosperity
by Mike Brodie

1.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Idaho rather than Tulsa, 25 May 2015
Sorry but I don't care for the forced casualness of these photos. They're just striving for a little too much compositional sophistication for me to view them in the candid diarist style Mr Brodie would like us to. Reminds me of the movie My Own Private Idaho where half way through the characters break out into a Shakespearean opera. There's something really jarring in all the attention to form and makes me think Brodie isn't quite the idiot savant grocery jerk he would have us believe. Anyone care to hazard a guess at the cost of a Nikon f3 and 35mm in 2003? A little more than you could afford on grocery boy's wages I would think.

Shoreditch Wild Life
Shoreditch Wild Life
by Dougie Wallace

1.0 out of 5 stars Flash Crap, 4 May 2015
This review is from: Shoreditch Wild Life (Hardcover)
Fit for Flickr and really needs to stay there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2016 7:06 AM GMT

Samsung Galaxy Note PRO 12.2-inch Tablet (Black) - (Exynos 5 Octa, 3GB RAM, 32GB Storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly useless for all practical purposes, 16 Feb. 2015
I purchased this device to use in training sessions with the intention of using the s pen to annotate PDFs and then project the documents using a mobile projector or monitor,

Unfortunately I experienced problems with it straight out of the box. In fact lets start with the box itself. It arrived packaged in a plain white box, not the official Samsung packaging. The screen was covered with clear plastic instead of the Samsung screen protector I have seen on unboxing videos of this product. I was slightly concerned by this and my subsequent experiences with the product have demonstrated that my concerns are well placed.

In the first few hours of using the device I found that it was unable to play video from Netflix. There was sound but no picture. Then I was greeted with flashing red lines across the screen and it died on me. This led to the first of many trips to Android forums where I read page after page of complaints from other buyers with the same screen flicker option. I solved this with a fix which involved going into developer options and changing video configuration. Is this something you should be doing with your brand new, two hour old device?

After charging it (which took around four hours) I turned it on and watched the battery drain by around 10% every 20 minutes. This is without running any heavy applications because I had installed nothing on the tablet. Then the multi task fault kicked in and I saw the same red lines appear when you tube was opened alongside chrome browser. It shut down and died again, so yet another restart was required. And yet another trip to Android forums.

Later I attempted to play some films which were stored on a thumb drive. I attached the OTG cable and amazingly the tablet was unable to play any of the 15 or so movies I had transferred to it. These files play perfectly on all my laptops, but not the Note even after installing several different media players. Yet another epic fail.

Then I attempted to connect it to my TV to test how it performs as a monitor. I used the All Cast app and chromecast. At this point I realised there was no option to mirror the screen. It seems the Note requires a special wired adapter to connect to a TV or monitor but which one exactly?' So far I have seen 20 or more devices advertised on Amazon which claim to connect the Note to a monitor, along with numerous reviews which state that none of them work. Maybe the Samsung branded one will, but maybe not and perhaps with only one or two models of the Note which may not include this model. So why not just buy them all and try them out?

I have owned this device for over a month now and every time I pick it up and attempt to work with it I just ultimately abandon it in frustration. It really is the little tablet that can't. Whatever you want to use it for it will let you down. Even if it manages to operate without crashing and dying the battery will drain within about 4 hours.
I am completely unable to trust it for work purposes and would only take it with me if I brought along another device as a backup.

Anyone considering this device would be advised to look at alternatives such as one of the excellent Windows 8.1 tablets that sell now for 150-250. Still portable but so much more reliable and stable. If like me you're interested in a tablet with a stylus then really think about getting the Microsoft Surface Pro. While it costs more I think confidence in the equipment you are using is priceless, especially if you use it as part of your job.

My experience with this device has been a nightmare. I would sell it but I wouldn't wish this thing on anyone. It is pure junk.

(Purchased from The Electronics Retailer)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2015 2:24 AM BST

Galaxy Note Edge case, GMYLE Wallet Case Classic for Samsung Galaxy Note Edge SM-N915 - Navy Blue & Brown Cross Pattern PU Leather Slim Stand Case Cover

4.0 out of 5 stars ugly but necessary, 30 Jan. 2015
It is really the ugliest case available for this phone. Prior to buying this I used the samsung flip case and a black leather wallet. Both were visually stunning but utterly useless at protecting the phone. But this phone cost £700, why would I want to subject it to this monstrosity? One look at this case and believe me nobody is going to care what's inside. This thing is so cheap people will think you can't afford your bus fare never mind a Note Edge. Everything about it is thoroughly unimpressive. It looks like it was stitched together by deranged 1970s teenagers with a passion for denim patch pockets. However, I have found that it has one major feature in its favour: it genuinely protects the phone. It protects the screen and the phone back. With the exception of a slightly tight fit in the S pen cutout it really does fit the phone well. It can survive all manner of drops and scrapes. The Edge is rather light and flimsy so it could slip out of your hand fairly easily. I actually find the phone easier to handle when it's inside the case. This sense of security is priceless so I highly recommend this case although I did have to deduct a point for ugliness.

Page: 1 | 2