Profile for L. Morris > Reviews

Content by L. Morris

L. Morris "Avid Reader" (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Please Stop Laughing at Me: One Woman's Inspirational True Story
Please Stop Laughing at Me: One Woman's Inspirational True Story
Price: 6.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Overly Dramatic, 20 Aug 2011
Firstly, let me say that I read this book from beginning to end even though I quickly realised it wasn't for me, as I don't believe in posting reviews if you haven't fully read the material.
Secondly, the author and I have a lot in common. I too, was horribly bullied throughout my secondary education (both mentally and physically), I studied drama at university and I went on to work with severely disabled children.

So, I know what it is like to be bullied, badly. However, this book is so overly dramatic, sensational and at times seemingly fantastical that I quickly found it really hard to stomach. I found myself thinking 'for God's sake woman, grow a pair'. I know a lot of people will think this unfair but this was my honest thought. I would just like to reiterate that I myself was bullied so badly that at times I seriously considered suicide. I could have done without the constant portents of doom scattered liberally throughout the book, 'he would be proven terribly wrong', 'my optimism would prove near fatal' as if we were actually reading some sort of paranormal/crime novel.

The detailed emotional conversations with her teenage (boy)friends I found hard to accept. Maybe it's different in the USA, but in the UK growing up, the teenage boys I came into contact with mostly communicated by grunt or at best monosyllables, hardly the deep emotional understanding portrayed in the book. Also, this woman allegedly cut open her own face with a kitchen knife!! Surely to any person that would warrant some sort of further pyschiatric investigation?

Anyway, in conclusion, I in no way condone any types of bullying. It is a terrible and horrific experience for anyone to go through be it child or adult and I agree with the authors realisation that the bullies don't even know what they are doing, as my own experiences tell me. Schools should provide no-tolerance policies and anti-bullying education (none of which exsisted when I was at school). However, I just didn't like this book or it's approach. I felt too much of it was written in hindsight, with the kind of understanding teenagers do not have. You may disagree, but then everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Synsunder
Synsunder

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird and a little convoluted, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Synsunder (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book but gave it a go anyway. It's a very strange book so if you like strange then this could definitely be for you.
The main character, Janice, sees terrible visions when she looks into people's eyes and so goes out of her way to try and avoid people. She ends up questioning her sanity being unable to tell reality from fantasy.
The wording in the book is quite convoluted and can be very confusing at times, especially as there are parts in the book where the names of the characters have been mixed up (maybe a better proof reader next time).
I felt that the problem with this book (aside from the convoluted langauge) was mainly that the majority of the book is given over to Janice's wonderings about her sanity and yet the mystery of the Brother's Sysunder is resolved in a very short space of time. I was left with too many questions and contradictions and was generally quite confused. Many important things seem to occur in this book that are then never mentioned again. Still, maybe I'm not the best judge.

Griselda Takes Flight: A Novel of Bright's Pond
Griselda Takes Flight: A Novel of Bright's Pond
Price: 8.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 28 April 2011
I downloaded this for free not knowing what it was about. I was pleasantly surprised and ended up enjoying this book greatly. It mainly follows a young women called Griselda in a small town in America. It's hard to determine exactly when it was set/written but I'd have to say judging from some references that it's the early 1970's.

To clarify, there are some God references but on the whole this didn't seem the main focus of the story and even though I'm completely non-religious they didn't bother me at all.

The story on the whole is a sort of quaint, small town detective story. A mysterious stranger comes to town, a long lost brother is in a coma and a handsome pilot is forced to make an emergency landing in the sleepy town of Bright's Pond.

There are many different characters all with their own quirks and follies and in the beginning it did quite a while for me to figure them all out but on the whole, I found this story highly entertaining and have already looked to see if there are more.

Built 10 inch Sleeve for Netbook / iPad - Pink
Built 10 inch Sleeve for Netbook / iPad - Pink
Offered by Elegant accessories
Price: 6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits nicely and protects well., 28 April 2011
Bought this for my 10.1 Dell. It fits really nicely, is a fantastic colour and seems to be durable and well made. Very pleased.

TeckNet@ Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover/Case With 2 Kindle Screen Protectors & Built-in Magnet for Sleep/Wake Feature - Black
Offered by BlueByte Ltd
Price: 8.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, looks more expensive than it is., 28 April 2011
Bought this for my kindle and am very pleased. It fits it perfectly, the colour is nice and it definitely looks more expensive than it is. Great alternative for those of us that can't afford the 50 cases!

Solomon's Angels: A Novel
Solomon's Angels: A Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, couldn't get through it., 22 April 2011
I downloaded this for free and I was looking forward to a well researched novel about the Queen of Sheba and to begin with I wasn't disappointed. I was fascinated by the insights into the way people lived back then and the daily minutiae of their lives.

Sadly though this didn't last and I was forced to wade through pages of 'Statements of Empowerment', the 'music of the spheres' and diagram after diagram of mystical geometric shapes made from vibrational patterns. It started to read like a cult novel trying to indoctrinate you into its sect. I half expected to reach the end and be greeted by an invitation to share the meaning of life, for a small price of course.

Anyway, after being shown what a cube, dodecahedron and octohedron are and told how they featured in our mystical creation for the umpteenth time I gave up. This book might be for you, but it certainly wasn't for me.

Glamour: Dystopian Romance (Rae Wilder Book 1)
Glamour: Dystopian Romance (Rae Wilder Book 1)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrendously badly written., 22 April 2011
When I read the product description for this book I thought that it sounded like a really interesting idea and as it was free I gave it a go. However, I was sorely disappointed. It might have been a good idea, but the whole thing is so badly written I could barely get through it.
The writing is so convoluted that at times I had to read certain paragraphs over and over just to try and make sense of them. As for the fairy/vampire love triangle, I can't help feeling that Penelope Fletcher may have been a little too influenced by the Twilight novels.
In all, I would say don't do it, but as I appear to be going against the grain here (24 five star reviews!?!) I would suggest you try it for yourself. So long as it remains free that is.

Gemini Moon (Moon Series Book 1)
Gemini Moon (Moon Series Book 1)
Price: 1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and interesting., 22 April 2011
I wasn't expecting to like this book as fantasy isn't really my thing but as it was free I thought I'd give it a go. I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it. I became caught up with the characters and the decscriptive element in the book really appealed to me. It's not so much a romance as an adventure, although I have to admit Prince Ash's desperate struggle with his conscience did start to wear on me a little by the end. However, I enjoyed this book and I would even consider paying for it.

Shattered: A Daughter's Regret with Bonus Content (Secrets)
Shattered: A Daughter's Regret with Bonus Content (Secrets)

2.0 out of 5 stars Hollow and unfulfilling., 22 April 2011
I downloaded this for free and let me tell you, it is certainly not worth the 5.70 price tag now attached to it. The book started off promising, following the life of a typical teenager but soon tailed off into a fairly generic tale of teen angst, ending with all Cleo's problems wrapped up in a nice neat parcel following a chat with her aunt. If only life was that simple!

The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, Book 1)
The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like romances this is for you., 22 April 2011
I downloaded this free for my kindle and I found it entertaining and fairly well written. I am not a great fan of romances but I do like to read novels based in the past. The storyline is uncomplicated and you can more or less guess what will happen but on the whole it's worth a read if you want something light and easy.

Page: 1 | 2